+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need Help: Should Study Visa be applied from India or Canada?

Gurpreet30

Sep 15, 2018
Greetings!!

I am Gurpreet from India. I am B.Tech(2004) and have 13 years of experience in SW companies in India. I left job in January and came to Canada on 20th April on tourist visa. I want to apply for study visa but got two different opinions from two different immigration consultants on whether I should apply for Study visa being in Canada or go back and apply from India.

Kindly help me making the decision.

Aneep Kumar

Mar 14, 2018
Ottawa
Greetings!!

I am Gurpreet from India. I am B.Tech(2004) and have 13 years of experience in SW companies in India. I left job in January and came to Canada on 20th April on tourist visa. I want to apply for study visa but got two different opinions from two different immigration consultants on whether I should apply for Study visa being in Canada or go back and apply from India.

Kindly help me making the decision.[/QUOTE

You can apply from Either Countries. Don’t worry about that.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
You will not qualify to apply from within Canada. If you try, your application will be refused. You can only apply from inside Canada under very specific circumstances.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/apply.html

Apply for a study permit within Canada
You can only apply for a study permit within Canada if you’re:

• a minor child in primary or secondary school
  • an exchange or visiting student
  • a student who has completed a short-term course or study program, which is a condition for being accepted at a DLI
  • someone who holds a temporary resident permit (TRP) valid for at least 6 months, or their family member
  • a spouse or common-law partner (and their family members) being sponsored to immigrate, who are:
    • in Canada, and
    • have applied for permanent residence, if eligible
  • a person with a study permit from a visa office abroad, and the permit was issued before you got to Canada, who wants to keep studying
  • the family member of:
    • athletes on a Canadian-based team
    • media representatives
    • members of the clergy, or
    • military personnel assigned to Canada
  • a family member or private staff member of a foreign representative who is properly accredited (90 days before or after you are no longer authorized to study without a study permit), or
  • a foreign national or their family member with a valid study or work permit, who wants to stay in Canada longer to study
If you’re in Canada and none of the options above describe you, you need to follow the instructions for applying for a study permit from outside Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You can apply while in Canada through the US offices. Your chances of getting a study permit is always better from your home country because you have to prove that you won’t stay in Canada after you graduate and your ties to your home country are better when you live in your home country.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
You can apply while in Canada through the US offices. Your chances of getting a study permit is always better from your home country because you have to prove that you won’t stay in Canada after you graduate and your ties to your home country are better when you live in your home country.
Hey @canuck78. How does that work?

I saw this -> http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/where-submit-application.asp?lob=study&country=CA

I understand the part where they say mail the application to NY - that's just applying from outside Canada, like you suggested.

But what do they mean when they say "You should apply online"?

So does that mean that someone can stay in Canada on a TRV and simply apply online? I'm confused because that seems to contradict what IRCC says on the page that I linked.

Is this a new process or something?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey @canuck78. How does that work?

I saw this -> http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/where-submit-application.asp?lob=study&country=CA

I understand the part where they say mail the application to NY - that's just applying from outside Canada, like you suggested.

But what do they mean when they say "You should apply online"?

So does that mean that someone can stay in Canada on a TRV and simply apply online? I'm confused because that seems to contradict what IRCC says on the page that I linked.

Is this a new process or something?
Not up to date on the online vs. mail issue. Last year you had to apply through the LA office if you were applying as an international student but we’re already in Canada. Would follow the application guide online. You are running out of time for Fall 2019. Some of the programs have already sent out applications already.