+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need help!! Open Work Permit for spouse (extension)

runkkk

May 8, 2015
Hi all,

I'm just about to apply for extension of my spouse's open work permit. She was holding an OWP under my study permit and mine were changed as PGWP in last October. At that time, I applied a new OWP for my

spouse but the request was denied because,

1) her work permit was still valid about 10 months (will expire at the end of July 2015)
2) I was not categorized as 'Skilled Worker', so her permit couldn't automatically renewed at that moment

At that time, CIC recommended that, fist I should be a Skilled Worker and my current job is 'NOC A', so I think I can submit a request of her OWP extension at this point.

My questions are,

1) I used to apply her OWP using my CIC account which means that she doesn't have her own CIC account. If I want to apply her OWP, can I use my account as same as last time or do I have to make her own
CIC account? I'm holding a 3-years PGWP, so I only will apply her OWP at this time. So, I'm wondering whether I still can use my account instead of create her own account or she needs one.

2) My PGWP is starts on early Dec. 2014. I could find one criteria that "spouse's work permit should be past at least a 6 month" in CIC website. Now it''s early May, so mine is just pass about 5 month. Do I have to
wait until the early June to be eligible for spouse's OWP?

3) While I apply her OWP, I also need to attach any kind of proof my my job status (employment letter, current statement of working, pay stub, etc) as many as possible to prove that I'm working and also verify
my NOC code? (I could get this information in this forum, thanks!!)

4) Does she need to do her medical test before apply a new OWP? CIC website says "medical test may require for some people", so I'm just wondering that which might be a better idea to avoid any time delay.
She may not asked to take a medical test, but if CIC request, it could be time delaying. Any idea? Or, is that ok that she submit first and if they ask to attach a medical test result, then we can do it later?

I expected to get my PNP nomination, but looks like it is delaying at this moment and possibly we may not get it before my wife's OWP expire, so I think it's time to apply her OWP first and wait for PNP. Many
thanks in advance and hope that I can get helpful answers from this forum!!! Thanks!!

Member31

Star Member
Oct 29, 2014
Hi, I am wondering whether Outland Spouse can apply for an Open Work Permit if main applicant(sponsor) is already PR in Canada?