+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ususioo

Newbie
Oct 5, 2026
1
0
Hi all,

I need some advice regarding my Canadian visitor visa application.

I reside in the U.S. and applied for a temporary visitor visa in August. I received the Original Passport Request letter on August 27. However, I was traveling internationally at the time and did not return to the U.S. until October 1, so I was unable to submit my passport within the original 30-day deadline.

Starting shortly after receiving the OPR, I submitted multiple IRCC webforms explaining my situation and requesting an extension. I followed up about 3–4 times throughout September. Some of my inquiries received no response, while one response stated:

“We appreciate you taking the time to inform us that you are taking the necessary steps in order to obtain the document that is required for your application.
While verifying your file, we noticed that the office responsible is already aware of your steps to obtain this document.
We invite you to provide the document as soon as possible in order to ensure the processing of your application continues as smoothly as possible.”

Based on this response, I understood that IRCC was aware of my situation and that I should submit my passport as soon as I was able to do so.

When I returned to the U.S. on October 1, I immediately sent my passport to the consulate. I also included an explanation letter, copies of my flight tickets, and records of my previous webform communications.

Nevertheless, I have now received an email asking me to provide an extension letter from IRCC within 10 days via the webform.

The problem is that despite requesting an extension multiple times, IRCC has never actually provided me with an extension letter. I have submitted another webform requesting one, but I am concerned that I will receive another generic response or that they will not respond within the 10-day deadline.

Has anyone experienced a similar situation? Is there another way to contact IRCC more effectively and obtain an extension letter? Or at this point, do I just have to wait another webform response and risk having my passport returned without the visa being stamped?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!