+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need help got a RQ after application was processed

tslsusi

Jul 12, 2012
Hi I really need advice. I applied for my citizenship on August 4, 2011, recieved a letter and test booklet saying I was approved and would hear on a date to take the test on Feb 2012. Today on July 11, 2012 I got a letter in the mail saying I had to fill out a Residence Questionnaire. Doesn't say why and I'm a bit confused as I thought everything was okay. Is this normal to receive before you get your date to take the test? I called immigration last month and they said I should expect to see a letter soon with my test date but instead I got this. Will this set me back to getting a test date? Also it states on the rq the days you were out of the country. Well I an American and so my mail won't get shipped to Canada, I have a po box in Blaine Wa. I sometimes go there a few times a month but only for maybe an hour at max to get my mail and I use Nexus so I have no way of tracking it as my passport nor my pr card gets scanned. Do I need these dates down or just when I left the country for the day or actual trips? It does state on the RQ that I can contact CBSA for a 'travel history.' But I worry I won't get it in time as this letter was sent on July 5th and I only have now 39 days to turn in the RQ. Was I flagged or something or is this normal? Any advice on how to fill it out properly? Or what happened when I was originally approved and yet I get an RQ instead of a test date?

Thanks for your help!
Sue

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think you misunderstood the letter you got originally. Everybody gets the booklet and acknowledgement of their application but it is not approved yet because it has not even been processed.

You may have gotten an RQ because you commute between Canada and the US a lot or maybe you were just picked out randomly. You are supposed to keep track of all dates you are outside Canada although a day trip would not count against you. Staying overnight in the US would lose you a day though. Are you sure you had listed all your overnight trips on your citizenship application? Maybe you got an RQ because some of the info you gave did not match what immigration has.

If you are sure you know the dates of all your overnight trips, give that info again for the RQ and add that you have been making additional day trips to the US using your Nexus card and that you do not know the exact dates but you have only been going to pick up your mail, nothing else and you have never stayed overnight on those trips.

You should also order your travel history from CBSA just in case they want further info from you later by which time you will have it already.

Nicdrey

Jul 12, 2012
Hi Leon,

I came to Canada on July 19, 2008 and went back to the Philippines on Sep 5, 2008 and came back again on Nov 29, 2008. I submitted my application for citizenship on Dec 11, 2012. I went back to Manila also from Jan 11-25, 2012. From all my travels, my kids were with me. I received the RQ yesterday and a lot of documents were being asked, even my kids records from school and their immunization records. I am thinking of not submitting all the documents and just give them what i currently have - passport, kids' school report cards, current property tax, credit card statements. I am also securing letter of employment from my previous company, church and from our family doctor. Are these enough even if I don't get the travel history from CBSA? I couldn't find other documents like rental agreement and receipts (we rented from 2008-May 2010, are the credit card statements and letter of employment sufficient enough?) My husband is the principal applicant when we immigrated and has submitted his and the kids' application 3 months before mine.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Nicdrey

ajslp

Star Member
Apr 4, 2012
tslsusi said:
Hi I really need advice. I applied for my citizenship on August 4, 2011, recieved a letter and test booklet saying I was approved and would hear on a date to take the test on Feb 2012. Today on July 11, 2012 I got a letter in the mail saying I had to fill out a Residence Questionnaire. Doesn't say why and I'm a bit confused as I thought everything was okay. Is this normal to receive before you get your date to take the test? I called immigration last month and they said I should expect to see a letter soon with my test date but instead I got this. Will this set me back to getting a test date? Also it states on the rq the days you were out of the country. Well I an American and so my mail won't get shipped to Canada, I have a po box in Blaine Wa. I sometimes go there a few times a month but only for maybe an hour at max to get my mail and I use Nexus so I have no way of tracking it as my passport nor my pr card gets scanned. Do I need these dates down or just when I left the country for the day or actual trips? It does state on the RQ that I can contact CBSA for a 'travel history.' But I worry I won't get it in time as this letter was sent on July 5th and I only have now 39 days to turn in the RQ. Was I flagged or something or is this normal? Any advice on how to fill it out properly? Or what happened when I was originally approved and yet I get an RQ instead of a test date?

Thanks for your help!
Sue
As Leon mentioned, the first mail you received is the standard acknowledgement letter. The RQ you received now is due to the fact that the officials have processed and gone through your application. It is nothing against you. The applicants with US connection (US citizens, US permanent resident, US work or other visa holders, frequent travelers to US etc) are very likely to receive an RQ. As you are aware, it is very easy to travel between US and Canada without being stamped on the passport. In the past, many people have taken advantage of it and claimed physical presence in Canada while not actually being in Canada. It is nothing to worry about. The CIC officials just wants to verify your claim. The bad news is the RQ process will lengthen your overall citizenship application process.

1. State all the dates you have traveled in and out of Canada as accurately as possible. The same day trip to USA won't affect the number of days calculation for residency.
2. Request Traveler's Record from CBSA and US CBP. Find out where you can request Nexus traveler history according Freedom of Information Act. Keep in mind these record might miss some entries.
3. Get your Employment Proof Letter(if you are working) or School/University transcripts or letter(if you are student) or any other documents to prove what you do in Canada.
4. Payslips, T4s
5. Request Health Record from the provincial Ministry of Health.
6. Rental lease documents or property ownership and property tax documents.
7. Credit card statements, bank statements, utility or other documents that can act as supplementary evidence to prove your claims.
8. Letters from clubs, church, voluntary organization or any other organization that can provide or vouch your membership or involvements.
9. Boarding passes or tickets records of travels in and out of Canada.
10. Any other documents or letter that can provide or supplement an evidence of your physical presence.

Don't worry if you don't have one or few things on the list. Gather as much information as you can. If you don't receive documents like Traveler History in time, send what you have. Attach a letter stating you have requested the document and will send as soon as you receive them.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Get what you can if it is easy to get. Do you have any bank statements showing paid utility bills and rent? That would help. A letter from your employer would also help.

Nicdrey said:
Hi Leon,

I came to Canada on July 19, 2008 and went back to the Philippines on Sep 5, 2008 and came back again on Nov 29, 2008. I submitted my application for citizenship on Dec 11, 2012. I went back to Manila also from Jan 11-25, 2012. From all my travels, my kids were with me. I received the RQ yesterday and a lot of documents were being asked, even my kids records from school and their immunization records. I am thinking of not submitting all the documents and just give them what i currently have - passport, kids' school report cards, current property tax, credit card statements. I am also securing letter of employment from my previous company, church and from our family doctor. Are these enough even if I don't get the travel history from CBSA? I couldn't find other documents like rental agreement and receipts (we rented from 2008-May 2010, are the credit card statements and letter of employment sufficient enough?) My husband is the principal applicant when we immigrated and has submitted his and the kids' application 3 months before mine.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Nicdrey

tslsusi

Jul 12, 2012
I heard that if your spouse traveled with you (mine is a canadian citizen) that those dates don't get counter as he is my sponsor is that true or only for your pr card? I recalculated my visits outside of canada in the last 3.5 years and I'm now short 8 days. I just wondered what they do if you are short only that small amount of time. 4 out of my 6 trips that caused me for being short my husband was with me. And two were due to my mother being quite ill. I just wondered if I should include this info in with my RQ along with all my other records. I sent off a letter to get my travel history, printed out all my flights, my bank statements, health records from my doctor, mortgage agreements, etc.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The days you travel outside of the country with your Canadian citizen spouse can only be counted towards PR - not towards citizenship.

Nicdrey

Jul 12, 2012
Leon said:
Get what you can if it is easy to get. Do you have any bank statements showing paid utility bills and rent? That would help. A letter from your employer would also help.
Hi again...I started working part time at walmart on sep 2009. I haven't worked before that. I secured a record of employment from them already. I am currently looking for my old bank and credit card statements just to show the council that I am here and completed the required number of days. I am just confused that they are asking documents from 2007-2011 but in the form, this is being stated and repeated "since your arrival date to Canada". We moved 2-3x and once lived in our relative's house, and all the rental agreement and check payments were under my husband's name even the msp and other utility bills.

I am not so sure if I need to send everything. I am planning to write a letter also explaining why I can't provide documents on some areas. What i am pretty sure of is, almost everything we bought was in my credit card.

Nicdrey

Jul 12, 2012
Nicdrey said:
Hi again...I started working part time at walmart on sep 2009. I haven't worked before that. I secured a record of employment from them already. I am currently looking for my old bank and credit card statements just to show the council that I am here and completed the required number of days. I am just confused that they are asking documents from 2007-2011 but in the form, this is being stated and repeated "since your arrival date to Canada". We moved 2-3x and once lived in our relative's house, and all the rental agreement and check payments were under my husband's name even the msp and other utility bills.

I am not so sure if I need to send everything. I am planning to write a letter also explaining why I can't provide documents on some areas. What i am pretty sure of is, almost everything we bought was in my credit card.
Hi Leon,

I checked my passport and found out that i didn't have a stamp on Sep 2008 when I went to my country. But does it matter? Though I have the stamps when I came back in Nov of 2008.

Please advise.

Thanks.

By the way, i called CIC and spoke to a very nice lady. She said, I don't really need to submit all the documents as long as I can prove in the documents that I will be sending that I am really here in Canada...Just an FYI to everyone.
I have a record of employment since 2009. I guess, I just need to worry about 2008 to early 2009. She also mentioned that I don't need the CBSA travel history report if my proofs are sufficient enough. And the best part is, I can just hand my documents over to their office in Surrey BC.

tslsusi

Jul 12, 2012
So I'm waiting on the border to give me my travel history to send in my RQ. I still have 2 weeks left but I just got a check from immigration canada today for $75 has no note or anything as to why I got a check. Are they making me reapply? My rq hasn't been turned it yet and it stated I had 45 days to turn it in.

via08

Star Member
May 24, 2012
tslsusi said:
So I'm waiting on the border to give me my travel history to send in my RQ. I still have 2 weeks left but I just got a check from immigration canada today for $75 has no note or anything as to why I got a check. Are they making me reapply? My rq hasn't been turned it yet and it stated I had 45 days to turn it in.
Hi tslsusi,

I suggest don't wait for CBSA report, just send whatever documents you have because its almost 2 mos now I haven't got anything from CBSA, just attach a covering letter stating that you're going to send it as soon as you receive it..

Good luck to all:)