+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need help for PG or MASTER

mr_vishal

Star Member
Mar 17, 2018
I have completed MSC-IT from India and I have 2+ year of experience. I applied for a Masters of Computer Science at Lakehead University and also got an admission offer letter.

Since the fee is higher in Lakehead(22000 CAD) I'm thinking to go for PG course which cost around (16000 CAD). is it the right choice to study PG instead of Masters?

I have completed masters so I think doing master again doesn't even make sense.

Please help. Really appreciate your inputs.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
I have completed MSC-IT from India and I have 2+ year of experience. I applied for a Masters of Computer Science at Lakehead University and also got an admission offer letter.

Since the fee is higher in Lakehead(22000 CAD) I'm thinking to go for PG course which cost around (16000 CAD). is it the right choice to study PG instead of Masters?

I have completed masters so I think doing master again doesn't even make sense.

Please help. Really appreciate your inputs.
Realistically neither doing a master would make sense nor doing a PG course will make sense. You already have masters in IT, why do you want to do one in computer science? Ideally you should be going for a P.hd if available in your stream. If you have a genuine reason to study a master or PG program then you will need to write that in your SOP.

To be honest, if your plan is to go for PR then I would suggest you apply directly, if your plan is for studies then you should aim for some type of masters or P.hd. PG is a step down from masters.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
PG is just to pass time and help get PR, you will not learn anything with a PG, if you are interested in academia then do a Masters otherwise it is not of much use. If you have a Masters already you probably qualify for express entry if your interest is in PR.

mr_vishal

Star Member
Mar 17, 2018
Realistically neither doing a master would make sense nor doing a PG course will make sense. You already have masters in IT, why do you want to do one in computer science? Ideally you should be going for a P.hd if available in your stream. If you have a genuine reason to study a master or PG program then you will need to write that in your SOP.

To be honest, if your plan is to go for PR then I would suggest you apply directly, if your plan is for studies then you should aim for some type of masters or P.hd. PG is a step down from masters.
Thanks for the reply. You are right Ph.D. should be the next step but Ph.D. would take 3-4 years to complete and I do not want to spend that much time for studies.

Honestly, my plan is PR but as I have less IELTS score(6.5) and after taking IELTS again I could not score more than 6.5 so I'm thinking to go for Master so that I can later apply for PR.

mr_vishal

Star Member
Mar 17, 2018
PG is just to pass time and help get PR, you will not learn anything with a PG, if you are interested in academia then do a Masters otherwise it is not of much use. If you have a Masters already you probably qualify for express entry if your interest is in PR.
Honestly, my plan is PR only, I have no interest in academia but as I could not get more than 6.5 scores in IELTS I cannot apply in Express entry. one advantage of Masters again is I will learn new subjects like Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligent which I haven't studied before.