Doc's Request.
07-08-2018
AOR Received.
16-03-2019
Med's Request
24-04-2019 - Upfront
Med's Done....
30-05-2019
I am on 1 year student permit and also got my Coop visa for same duration, Just wanted to know what happens if I work for full time along with my study, is there any problem and as there is nothing mention in my coop permit that i have to work full time for certain period only,

For example my course is 12 months can I work 8-10 months full time ? ??? ??? ???

Please let me know what you think ??

Ghostrider0789

Apr 20, 2016
Canada
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia - London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
05-08-2018
Doc's Request.
07-08-2018
AOR Received.
16-03-2019
Med's Request
24-04-2019 - Upfront
Med's Done....
30-05-2019
Please help guys...

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
You expect a reply within 12 minutes of original post ? This is not an interactive forum or chat room.

Please clarify how can you have a full time 12 month course AND work 8-10 months full time ? So you education part is only 2-4 months with the rest being a coop that is integral part of your course ?

Ghostrider0789

Apr 20, 2016
Canada
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia - London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
05-08-2018
Doc's Request.
07-08-2018
AOR Received.
16-03-2019
Med's Request
24-04-2019 - Upfront
Med's Done....
30-05-2019
The thing is my college is in the evening at 6-9 and I am getting job related to my course which is 9-5 near my college so I can reach college after job in 15 mins.

6 month study and 6 month internship but I am getting good opportunity in the beginning should I take it or leave it ?

JuCW

Jan 25, 2017
Probably your study permit says that you can only work part time while in an academic period. Also - at least in my case - the co-op has to be approved by the college, and they don't approve co-ops in the academic period.

Ghostrider0789

Apr 20, 2016
Canada
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia - London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
05-08-2018
Doc's Request.
07-08-2018
AOR Received.
16-03-2019
Med's Request
24-04-2019 - Upfront
Med's Done....
30-05-2019
Well my college applied for my Co-op visa so there is no need of approval, All I need to know is can I work fulltime for 6 months as per my college but can I work for more than that ? as in coop visa its not mentioned that I can work for only 6 months.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Ghostrider0789 said:
Well my college applied for my Co-op visa so there is no need of approval, All I need to know is can I work fulltime for 6 months as per my college but can I work for more than that ? as in coop visa its not mentioned that I can work for only 6 months.

1. It's not possible for school to apply for Co-op on your behalf. At the most, school can guide as how to apply.
2. No 'legitimate' college will suggest you that you can work for straight 6 months in Co-op. Co-op is a credited course, means you get marks for completing a Co-op. In Co-op you are supposed to finish a certain number of hours, once hours are done, Co-op is done.
3. Co-op work duration MUST not be more than 50 percent of course duration, otherwise you won't be considered as a graduate student by CIC and won't get a PGWP.
4. Co-op must be related to your program and must be pre-approved by the school. On your Co-op permit, your school name is printed as your 'main employer', means your school will decide how best you can use Co-op. If you ended up in an unpaid Co-op, it's totally fine.
5. Any misuse of Co-op will result straight in your eligibility to apply for PGWP or study permit extension.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ghostrider0789 said:
I am on 1 year student permit and also got my Coop visa for same duration, Just wanted to know what happens if I work for full time along with my study, is there any problem and as there is nothing mention in my coop permit that i have to work full time for certain period only,

For example my course is 12 months can I work 8-10 months full time ? ??? ??? ???

Please let me know what you think ??
If you work full time, you will be in violation of the terms of your study permit which means your study permit could be canceled and you could be removed from Canada for engaging in illegal work. Expect problems when it comes time to apply for your PGWP.

Ghostrider0789

Apr 20, 2016
Canada
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia - London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
05-08-2018
Doc's Request.
07-08-2018
AOR Received.
16-03-2019
Med's Request
24-04-2019 - Upfront
Med's Done....
30-05-2019
J5M said:
Hi,

1. It's not possible for school to apply for Co-op on your behalf. At the most, school can guide as how to apply.
2. No 'legitimate' college will suggest you that you can work for straight 6 months in Co-op. Co-op is a credited course, means you get marks for completing a Co-op. In Co-op you are supposed to finish a certain number of hours, once hours are done, Co-op is done.
3. Co-op work duration MUST not be more than 50 percent of course duration, otherwise you won't be considered as a graduate student by CIC and won't get a PGWP.
4. Co-op must be related to your program and must be pre-approved by the school. On your Co-op permit, your school name is printed as your 'main employer', means your school will decide how best you can use Co-op. If you ended up in an unpaid Co-op, it's totally fine.
5. Any misuse of Co-op will result straight in your eligibility to apply for PGWP or study permit extension.
Thank you so much and yes they helped me to apply my visa from the college,

JuCW

Jan 25, 2017
They can help you apply by giving directions or consultations, but they can't request the permit on our behalf - Maybe they can if they are your representatives (I don't know) - this is the point.

Being very clear: no, you can't work full-time during your academic period if you are a full-time student. This might be clear in your study permit - and it is on IRCC webpage. As someone already said, this is not legal.

You have your work permit for the co-op for the entire period of your studies probably because your co-op term will depend on your program. Some students have it in the last term, some have in between academic terms.

The approval I mentioned is not related to your permit, but it is to your co-op employment. The job has to fit in your program objectives - and this is what at least my college had to approve. My work permit specifically mentions that the permit is to be used for my co-op and that the placement I find has to be in accordance with my program in the college.

Some employers may allow you to work over the 20h when you are studying. They won't stop you. But it is against the rules of your status as a temporary full-time student in Canada.

monish88

Star Member
Jul 16, 2014
People are right here! Just sharing my experience.

I was here on a 1 year study permit initially. Got a co-op for 8 months later and applied for my co-op work permit. While working at the company as a co-op, I applied for a study permit extension. Then returned to complete my last term at University and applied for a PGWP upon graduation. (8months study + 8months co-op + 4 months study)

Co-op and full time job offer (temporary or permanent) are two different things. While working as a co-op, the company asked me if I can join full time upon co-op completion. That is when I came to know there is something called temporary work permit but that requires you to take a complete break from your studies. This only creates more and more paper work for you. Also, my university would have charged me for the break time as well (That is what they said).

I chose to come back and finish my Masters. The whole market is open when you have your PGWP. Better to keep your immigration track clear in the long term no matter how tempting the job offer is. Other people might have different experiences. Thanks.

nazanin.ns88

Nov 11, 2017
Hey guys,

I am an international student in Canada. Now I succeed to receive a coop program starting next summer. Does anybody know what I should do to change my visa to a work permit for this purpose?
What are the required documents?
And how long does it take if I apply online from here inside Canada?

Thank you

krunal2904

May 9, 2016
Canada
NOC Code......
Hey guys,

I am an international student in Canada. Now I succeed to receive a coop program starting next summer. Does anybody know what I should do to change my visa to a work permit for this purpose?
What are the required documents?
And how long does it take if I apply online from here inside Canada?

Thank you

Hey,

I believe you want to apply for co-op work permit inorder to be eligible for co-op job. You can apply for co-op work permit from Canada and It's take about 2 months to get it based on the individual case.

Documents:
Valid Passport
Study Permit
Co-op letter From college
Digital Photo