+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

****Need Help**** - Family Sponsorship

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello,
sorry to bug you again, One last question:
Do I need to meet the 730 days living in Canada rule to be able to sponsor my wife and child?
You need to meet/be in compliance with the residency obligation. That is NOT correctly stated as having lived in Canada 730 days (although often put that way, it's not exact).

My preferred simplified way to state this: you are in compliance if your total number of days OUTSIDE of Canada is LESS than 1095 days in the last five years or since date of becoming a PR (if you became a PR more recently than five years).

[1095 days is simply an arithmetic restatement of five years * 365 days minus 730 days. It provides for fact that IRCC gives 'credit' for days remaining in your first five years, basically.]

Even more simply: if you became a PR less than three years ago (as of the date you apply to sponsor spouse), you are in compliance (because three years * 365 is 1095, if less than three years have passed, you cannot have been outside more than 1095 days).

surap

Sep 16, 2020
You need to meet/be in compliance with the residency obligation. That is NOT correctly stated as having lived in Canada 730 days (although often put that way, it's not exact).

My preferred simplified way to state this: you are in compliance if your total number of days OUTSIDE of Canada is LESS than 1095 days in the last five years or since date of becoming a PR (if you became a PR more recently than five years).

[1095 days is simply an arithmetic restatement of five years * 365 days minus 730 days. It provides for fact that IRCC gives 'credit' for days remaining in your first five years, basically.]

Even more simply: if you became a PR less than three years ago (as of the date you apply to sponsor spouse), you are in compliance (because three years * 365 is 1095, if less than three years have passed, you cannot have been outside more than 1095 days).
got you, so I have landed in sept 2022 (that's when I have landed and accepted my PR) and planning to sponsor my family by end of this year. That shouldn't be a problem right

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What if I move first and apply for their sponsorship and then they apply for TRV?
Since changes to polices that has allowed families to be reunited with family during sponsorship process is relatively new there is not a lot of data to shown who is getting approved and why. Given most were denied before the fact that a large number are being approved is already an improvement. We are also seeing a lot of predictable issues like families coming to Canada having not realize that they would not have access to provincial healthcare unless paying out of pocket until they have received PR or have received an OWP and are working. The most common cases are pregnant women who are discovering that finding prenatal care without provincial healthcare is difficult and expensive. It is also hard to move with a young child and finding housing is challenging right now due to vacancy rates. You are lucky because you already have a job in Canada (make sure your have discussed with your employer that you can transfer to Canada since not always the case) but you do not have credit or rental history in Canada which may make finding a rental more difficult or may require offering to pay more upfront than others. It would be easier for you to come to Canada first to try to find housing and start setting up a life in Canada before your spouse and young child arrive. Much easier and less expensive to come to a Canada as a single adult than with a family. For example you could rent a single room via Airbnb but if you have a child you would want your own private accommodation in a nicer area. It is easier and less expensive to get around the city without a baby. You do not need to purchase a lot of items right away if you are a single adult versus if you have a child. It takes time to get all your Canadian IDs, set up things like internet and phone, etc. which is harder when you have to factor in a child and things like nap times. Finding a GP taking on new patients is very difficult. Being able to try and secure a GP for yourself who may also be willing to take on your wife and child once the arrive would be a better option than your wife and child not being able to apply (still could have up to 3 months wait to qualify after applying) for public healthcare until their are PRs. You will have a better idea about how difficult it will be to secure a GP before they move to Canada. Lots of things to consider. Many people assume that whole family moving together is the better option but it is a more complex issue than people realize.

Reactions: surap

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
got you, so I have landed in sept 2022 (that's when I have landed and accepted my PR) and planning to sponsor my family by end of this year. That shouldn't be a problem right
Correct. Note you can only apply to sponsor from within Canada. Whether or not you can get a TRV and whether that makes sense, etc., is a different matter.

surap

Sep 16, 2020
Since changes to polices that has allowed families to be reunited with family during sponsorship process is relatively new there is not a lot of data to shown who is getting approved and why. Given most were denied before the fact that a large number are being approved is already an improvement. We are also seeing a lot of predictable issues like families coming to Canada having not realize that they would not have access to provincial healthcare unless paying out of pocket until they have received PR or have received an OWP and are working. The most common cases are pregnant women who are discovering that finding prenatal care without provincial healthcare is difficult and expensive. It is also hard to move with a young child and finding housing is challenging right now due to vacancy rates. You are lucky because you already have a job in Canada (make sure your have discussed with your employer that you can transfer to Canada since not always the case) but you do not have credit or rental history in Canada which may make finding a rental more difficult or may require offering to pay more upfront than others. It would be easier for you to come to Canada first to try to find housing and start setting up a life in Canada before your spouse and young child arrive. Much easier and less expensive to come to a Canada as a single adult than with a family. For example you could rent a single room via Airbnb but if you have a child you would want your own private accommodation in a nicer area. It is easier and less expensive to get around the city without a baby. You do not need to purchase a lot of items right away if you are a single adult versus if you have a child. It takes time to get all your Canadian IDs, set up things like internet and phone, etc. which is harder when you have to factor in a child and things like nap times. Finding a GP taking on new patients is very difficult. Being able to try and secure a GP for yourself who may also be willing to take on your wife and child once the arrive would be a better option than your wife and child not being able to apply (still could have up to 3 months wait to qualify after applying) for public healthcare until their are PRs. You will have a better idea about how difficult it will be to secure a GP before they move to Canada. Lots of things to consider. Many people assume that whole family moving together is the better option but it is a more complex issue than people realize.
@canuck78 Definitely agree to what you have posted :). I'm planning to move 1-2 months ahead of my family (incase they get a TRV) and set right all the required things for us. My wife and kid will get an insurance from India that would cover them in Canada too.