+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need Help! Applying PGWP but have more than one part-time semester?

besyzy

May 14, 2021
Hi guys, I saw many posts about students gets refusal when their transcript showed they studied part-time(not including last term) at some point during their study.
I'd be really appropriate it if someone can share some advice.
During my third year I was suffering mental disorders and was unable to pass enough course to maintain my full-time status. My time line:
16/17: 1st year, full-time
17/18: switch major, 1st year in new major, full-time
18/19: 2nd year, failed course+withdral, part-time
19/20: 3rd year, retook failed courses and watched up 3rd courses, full-time
20/21: 4th year, graduate, part-time

I have requested letters from my psychiatrist and 2 of school counsellors, so 3 letters to explain my situation...
I'm going to write a letter to explain my situation, then I will use the 3 letters to prove my statement.
My question is:
With all these efforts of explanation, I'm I still in really big trouble and getting rejections?
Thanks

maaayankkk

Star Member
May 17, 2018
You have to maintain full-time status as a student in Canada during each semester of your study program. This doesn’t include your final semester, which can be part-time, or if you took an approved leave from your studies.
It counts as authorized leave if:
  • your school has authorized a leave from your study program for:
    • medical reasons or pregnancy
    • family emergency
    • death or serious illness of a family member
    • any other type of leave your school authorizes
SOURCE:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/prepare-arrival/study-permit-conditions.html#s01.1

As long as you are explaining them about your situation and providing with the sufficient documentation, I don't think that there would be any problems for you.

ashleee

Oct 7, 2020
Hey besyzy, I also had to take some part time semesters due to health issues. Did your PGWP application end up being approved? I am so worried