+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need guidance for STEM category for PR

curious_dev

Jan 18, 2024
Hi everyone,

I would like to get some guidance regarding my eligibility for PR in Ontario under STEM category.

I have an year of experience as a Software Developer in Ontario, but do not have any degree back home. I finished a 2 year diploma here as an international student and then got hired by an IT contractor. My employer does not fit into the category of OINP because of having less annual revenue. Currently, my CRS gets accumulated to 430 only, and the last draw of STEM category on Dec 08, 2023 was 481. Could anyone please suggest me whether I move to some other province now for my PR or stay in Ontario and submit my file here.

Thanks in advance for all the suggestions.

Reactions: pulkitkumar190

pulkitkumar190

Jan 28, 2017
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
How much time is left on your work permit exactly?
What is your IELTS/CELPIP score?
How many years and months of experience have you as software engineer in Canada?

Reactions: curious_dev

curious_dev

Jan 18, 2024
Thanks for your response.

I have 2 years of work permit left. It is expiring on 10 Jan 2026.
My IELTS score meets the requirements for the category, which means they are 7778
I have one year of experience as an software developer, and now being laid off because of less work.

pulkitkumar190

Jan 28, 2017
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Unless federal government do a STEM category draw, which covers your CRS score too, I would in your shoes, try moving to Alberta, and find a job there in Tech. Alberta PNP has the tech stream in it, which you might qualify. Also look into all other provinces, and see how you can get PNP in any way possible. Even if you have to find work in non-tech work, but working a year will grantee you a PNP, do that. Meanwhile keep applying for software engineer position in that province. You can always go back to being a software engineer and say, you took a x year break. In case you get a non-tech job and have to work 1 year or less to get PR, I would recommend to keep studying software engineering and work on leetcode type questions. Try to aim to apply for jobs in Google/Facebook/Amazon. 1 year of carefully planned study session, can definitely help you crack these big companies interviews, while you get PR in meanwhile.

curious_dev

Jan 18, 2024
Thank you very much for giving your response. I am trying to find tech job in other provinces, but because of recession, I don't see many relevant roles. In Alberta, it would be difficult because of no junior positions available, so I would not go there as for its PNP I must have a job offer or LMIA. I have been thinking for Nova Scotia, but there also I will need to do a non tech job only I believe for an year. But how can that guarantee me a PNP? Could you explain it.

The plan you provided for study is good, and I have noted it because my focus will only be on software development only even if I get non tech job for some time.

Nikhilsamuel

Dec 31, 2023
I got AOR in dec 2023 and waiting for next updates. But April I will have to be out of canada for a month so what to do when the portal requests comes while Iam outland. Thanks