+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

need clarifications with applying for study permit within canada

utojamepark

Star Member
Apr 8, 2020
Hi I am currently in Canada on a visitor visa and hopping to apply for study permit (an university in quebec) within the country. I understand that I will have to apply the permit as if I am applying it from my home country (pretending that I am still in my home country now).

So my questions are:

1. Should I include a letter in my application to explain why I am in Canada while applying the permit through my home country? or should i just hide the fact that i am in canada?
2.what should I do for biometric data and medical examination? Do I have to go back to my home country for both? are there any alternative options like doing them within Canada?

I know they might be closed atm due to covid 19, but let's assume that they will be back to business when I lodge my application. I have looked up some old posts in the forum and found a few people were able to applied for their study permit within in Canada, so I assume that these people must have found a way to do bio-data and medical exam without leaving the country. (I understand that we still have to leave and reenter the country to collect the permit).

thanks in advance

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi I am currently in Canada on a visitor visa and hopping to apply for study permit (an university in quebec) within the country. I understand that I will have to apply the permit as if I am applying it from my home country (pretending that I am still in my home country now).

So my questions are:

1. Should I include a letter in my application to explain why I am in Canada while applying the permit through my home country? or should i just hide the fact that i am in canada?
2.what should I do for biometric data and medical examination? Do I have to go back to my home country for both? are there any alternative options like doing them within Canada?

I know they might be closed atm due to covid 19, but let's assume that they will be back to business when I lodge my application. I have looked up some old posts in the forum and found a few people were able to applied for their study permit within in Canada, so I assume that these people must have found a way to do bio-data and medical exam without leaving the country. (I understand that we still have to leave and reenter the country to collect the permit).

thanks in advance
1. Of course you can't hide the fact that you are in Canada. Hiding something in an immigration app = immigration fraud.

2. Biometrics and medical can be done in Canada.

Reactions: utojamepark

utojamepark

Star Member
Apr 8, 2020
1. Of course you can't hide the fact that you are in Canada. Hiding something in an immigration app = immigration fraud.

2. Biometrics and medical can be done in Canada.
thanks for the reply. I was confused by 'apply as if I was applying from my home country' and thought I should 'pretend' to be home while applying.
So do you think writing a letter explaining the situation to why I have to apply within Canada (covid 19 travel restrictions, border closure etc) would be a good idea?

thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
thanks for the reply. I was confused by 'apply as if I was applying from my home country' and thought I should 'pretend' to be home while applying.
So do you think writing a letter explaining the situation to why I have to apply within Canada (covid 19 travel restrictions, border closure etc) would be a good idea?

thanks
You are submitting an out of Canada app but still have to list your current address, which is in Canada.

You can write a letter if you want.

Reactions: utojamepark

Chocoboy

Jun 12, 2019
Hi there,
Indian , 25, with 3 years Software experience.With a 4 year Bachelor (BTech-ECE)degree from India , have enrolled for PG Diploma(ongoing- 1 year) via Distant mode.(Enrolled primarily to get Two/more certificates or diplomas). Recently, checked on the WES site and it showed PG Diploma as " 1 year Graduate study", which means my highest qualification would be a Bachelors.
Based on these, I have 2 options:
A.)With IELTS 8+ band , another 6 month certificate course, or a distant learning Masters in India(would take 2 years) , along with an average French skill(aiming for atleast band 3-5 in TEF for 4 CRS points). Briefly CRS would be for two./more certificates - around 474-478(possibly in 2021) and for Masters- around 481-485(in 2022)
B.) 1 year Masters from University of Calgary(software engineering) followed by 1 year job. Although I know this gives high score, I am much worried about the employment after Masters degree in Canada, since Calgary is primarily a hotspot(as I heard) for Petrochemical industries, and I would have 1 year PGWP.

Any advise in these lines as which option would be feasible and realistic, is much appreciated.