+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need clarification on spouse sponsorship for court marriage

asker

Mar 3, 2011
Hi guys hope someone here with good immigration knowledge can guide me.

I am a permanent resident here and basically looking to get married in India. I am in regular correspondence with the girl and planning to do a court marriage at this stage and so will have the marriage certificate available once done.

My question is must I get ceremonially and ritually married to sponsor her? Is court marriage not enough?

Anyone with similar experience or knowledge on this matter, pls advise.

M

mikeymyke

It's not a requirement to do a ceremonial marriage, however, CIC may question the genuineness of your marriage if you don't give a really good explanation as to why you chose to do a quick court marriage rather than do a ceremonial one.

The way you said "I'm in regular corrrespondance with the girl", are you marrying this girl on your first visit with her? This is something CIC does not like very much.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
New Delhi VO is quite strict about marriages, and your application will be scrutinized heavily if you marry on the first visit and only have a court marriage - they will question why you didn't have a "full Indian wedding" with lots of guests etc. as usually done traditionally. If you have lots of other proofs and you think that it will be enough, then maybe, but from comments from applicants going through New Delhi, I would say it's not necessarily a good idea.
Sweden

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Local visa offices respect the culture of their host countries so if you and your girlfriend are Indian and it would be normal for you to have a full Indian wedding, they will question why you didn't.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
If it is an arranged marriage - ie., your parents or some other relative set you two up, or a matchmaker did - then definitely do not just go with a court wedding. If you have only corresponded long distance, and have not actually met each other physically yet, then I would not go with just a court wedding either, at least not on your first visit to her.
As the above posters have noted, the New Delhi VO really expects a big traditional wedding ceremony, and if you do not have one, you had better have good reasons why.
Now if this a love match, and you have been corresponding for quite a while, then just a court wedding might be OK. Then, though, you should not marry the first time you meet in person. Instead, it would be better to visit for as long as possible, then you come back to Canada, then visit again and marry. That is, make it look like a normal relationship that developed over time.

asker

Mar 3, 2011
Thanks every one for your advise.

I met the girl in October last year when I visited India for a month and we have been in regular correspondence since then for the last 6 months..

We are planning to do a court marriage followed by a Hindu ritual marriage in a temple and then we would have a small party. The reason for not having a big traditional wedding is because my grandfather past away last month and I think it is customary not to celebrate anything within a year period time in Hindu religion.

Would like to know if this would be anything questionable?.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
asker said:

I met the girl in October last year when I visited India for a month and we have been in regular correspondence since then for the last 6 months..

We are planning to do a court marriage followed by a Hindu ritual marriage in a temple and then we would have a small party. The reason for not having a big traditional wedding is because my grandfather past away last month and I think it is customary not to celebrate anything within a year period time in Hindu religion.

If this is according to your culture, I don't think it is questionable. At least you have the reason why you are not having a big wedding and you can include that in your application.

goleafs27

Star Member
Feb 22, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo- Transferred to Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2010
IELTS Request
Sent with initial application
File Transfer...
15-06-2010
Med's Request
28-03-2012
Med's Done....
22-04-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
07-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
14-03-2013
LANDED..........
Already here Since 2007
On the same topic, would you put the date of court marriage or the date of the traditional wedding as your wedding date? Or whichever one was done first?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
asker said:

When are you intending to get married? The only questionable part I can see, is that you have known each other for barely 6 months, and will already be getting married/applying for her PR. This is a pretty quick relationship time, and you will need to convince the visa officer that you are not rushing to get married simply to apply for her immigration. A more "normal" relationship (that is not an arranged marriage), usually involves spending more time together in person before getting married. But of course every situation is different.

Also note that since you are a PR, you will need to reside in Canada during the entire application process (with only short vacations outside Canada allowed). Your spouse would only be able to come to Canada to stay with you if she could get a TRV visa, which may be difficult.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
asker said:

If you have a court marriage followed by a ritual marriage in a temple, and a small party, and you can explain why you went for a small party instead of a big one, it would make it more acceptable - note that it's not a guarantee and the length of courtship etc. is also a factor, but you have a better chance of convincing the VO that way.

Good luck,
Sweden

save_me_plz

Jun 5, 2014

I have the same situation. Did that work out for you?

soniorc

Star Member
Mar 20, 2018
Hi guys,
Very interesting thread.
My case is exactly opposite to it.
Our wedding by ritual happened few days before.. We also registered for a court marriage and always wanted to go by the registered marriage route.
So our official wedding is the court marriage one. But the ritual ceremony date differs, since we did not get the very next day appointment.
The scene here is the ritual wedding is before the court marriage.
Is it an issue?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi guys,
Very interesting thread.
My case is exactly opposite to it.
Our wedding by ritual happened few days before.. We also registered for a court marriage and always wanted to go by the registered marriage route.
So our official wedding is the court marriage one. But the ritual ceremony date differs, since we did not get the very next day appointment.
The scene here is the ritual wedding is before the court marriage.
Is it an issue?
Shouldn't be. Put date of court marriage as the official one (because legal marriage). Include a letter of explanation that you had both done, photos of ritual marriage and attendees etc to show how genuine.

(Separate religious and civil marriages are common in lots of countries)

Reactions: soniorc

soniorc

Star Member
Mar 20, 2018
Shouldn't be. Put date of court marriage as the official one (because legal marriage). Include a letter of explanation that you had both done, photos of ritual marriage and attendees etc to show how genuine.

(Separate religious and civil marriages are common in lots of countries)
Thanks buddy.. This is really helpful.

soniorc

Star Member
Mar 20, 2018
Hi,
I have few questions regarding the proof of Contact- Chat History.
1. Do we have to show screenshots of an exported history on word document is fine
2. If the chat is mostly in English except few lines, Do we still need a translation
3. If we provide screenshots, How to translate the part that is not in English or French.

Really appreciate your inputs.

Thanks