+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need Candid Advice!

nhillary

May 21, 2023
Last year, my family and I relocated to Canada. Upon moving, my spouse received an offer to study nursing at Georgian College in Ontario. Before she could start, however, I secured a position as an IT Auditor in Calgary, Alberta, with an annual salary of $82,000.

We arrived in Alberta in October 2023 but planned to move to Ontario in January 2024 for my spouse's program (Nursing Diploma). In January, we flew to Ontario. Due to the partial remote work nature of my job, I was able to move with my family to support them.

While in Alberta, we applied to an Alberta college (Lethbridge College), hoping my spouse could transfer her program there. We succeeded in getting admission and have already paid a $1,000 tuition deposit.

The dilemma we're facing now is deciding if moving back to Alberta aligns with our goals for a good life and obtaining permanent residency (PR), especially considering my job is there. However, my spouse is apprehensive about starting over in the program, which also lasts two years.

I'm in need of guidance to make a well-informed and unbiased decision.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Last year, my family and I relocated to Canada. Upon moving, my spouse received an offer to study nursing at Georgian College in Ontario. Before she could start, however, I secured a position as an IT Auditor in Calgary, Alberta, with an annual salary of $82,000.

We arrived in Alberta in October 2023 but planned to move to Ontario in January 2024 for my spouse's program (Nursing Diploma). In January, we flew to Ontario. Due to the partial remote work nature of my job, I was able to move with my family to support them.

While in Alberta, we applied to an Alberta college (Lethbridge College), hoping my spouse could transfer her program there. We succeeded in getting admission and have already paid a $1,000 tuition deposit.

The dilemma we're facing now is deciding if moving back to Alberta aligns with our goals for a good life and obtaining permanent residency (PR), especially considering my job is there. However, my spouse is apprehensive about starting over in the program, which also lasts two years.

You need to ask much more specific questions.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022

How old are you lovely people? I ask it because it helps me to see how fast your expenses will grow, how much will you be able to adjust to the bullshit that Canada throws your way from time to time.

Now the basics of the basics. The only really living worthy province in Canada is BC or parts there of, all other places have quite a bit hard climate for a good portion of the year. Unless you are used to it or are young enough to adapt to it, I will say long term you will grow disliking it. Alberta, specially calgary kind of makes you immobile in certain parts of winter. Ontario... well... its not much better either. But then, BC means Bring Cash.

Prima Facie, Ontario has maximum employment but then it also has really expensive real estate too.

Now, IT job and Nursing job can be found anywhere and everywhere so thats not much of an issue here. The bigger issue will be that of existing savings. If you have decent existing saving or you can rely on bank of mom and dad, move to BC. Otherwise, I will say choose Alberta and Calgary. Ontario or rather most populated parts of ontario are getting congested, dangerous and expensive all at the same time.

Reactions: DesiPikachu

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How old are you lovely people? I ask it because it helps me to see how fast your expenses will grow, how much will you be able to adjust to the bullshit that Canada throws your way from time to time.

Now the basics of the basics. The only really living worthy province in Canada is BC or parts there of, all other places have quite a bit hard climate for a good portion of the year. Unless you are used to it or are young enough to adapt to it, I will say long term you will grow disliking it. Alberta, specially calgary kind of makes you immobile in certain parts of winter. Ontario... well... its not much better either. But then, BC means Bring Cash.

Prima Facie, Ontario has maximum employment but then it also has really expensive real estate too.

Now, IT job and Nursing job can be found anywhere and everywhere so thats not much of an issue here. The bigger issue will be that of existing savings. If you have decent existing saving or you can rely on bank of mom and dad, move to BC. Otherwise, I will say choose Alberta and Calgary. Ontario or rather most populated parts of ontario are getting congested, dangerous and expensive all at the same time.
Many people like the winter and can easily adapt to the colder weather. This year Ontario had a very mild winter and less snow than a lot of BC.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
The weather and climate are a given here. Why come to Canada in the first place if you can't hack a bit of snow?

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Many people like the winter and can easily adapt to the colder weather. This year Ontario had a very mild winter and less snow than a lot of BC.
The weather and climate are a given here. Why come to Canada in the first place if you can't hack a bit of snow?
Because there are many more people who do not know what it means to live in Canadian climate before they have lived here for an year at minimum. 100 books on travel and one real trip and all... you know. Remember, majority of people coming to Canada are south asians. Most of them have not even seen a single snowfall before coming here.

Also with age, it becomes harder to adapt for some folks. I mean I challenge some of the venerable senior folks from Ontario to try live in Madras/Chennai. They will have a very hard try. It works other way round equally.

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
Your comment is a clear breach of @foodie69's intellectual property rights, a breach of copyright in particular. You have left yourself open to an action for damages for breach of copyright, including exemplary and punitive damages. The quantum of damages will only increase for each day the impugned post remains on this forum.

You should forthwith delete the offending post, with a full apology to the author.

Govern yourself accordingly.:)

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

People that immigrate to Canada & then complain about having issues with the climate have only themselves to blame .
Look at a map. Like look at a MAP

Then saying that Ontario basically has all the same climate , when the southern most point in Ontario is on the same latitude as Northern California, needs to check their facts .
Grass outside my building in Etobicoke was still green this winter .

People that just came to this train wreck of a country don’t get to complain about the weather if you’ve never taken the time to research it in the first place.

And what bullshit are you complaining about ? You literally just landed two years ago . Like you CHOSE to immigrate here. Versus some of us having roots in this country going back prior to Confederation. I’ve earned the right to complain what’s happened to this country

Last edited:
Reactions: foodie69

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
People that immigrate to Canada & then complain about having issues with the climate have only themselves to blame .
Look at a map. Like look at a MAP
Map can be HIGHLY deceiving. Local weather patterns and climate is a VERY complicated thing. Map does not tell you that. I give you one example. Vancouver is north to Victoria. North Vancouver is even at a much higher altitude to Victoria. But still I find the winters of North Van much easier than winter time in downtown victoria. Why? Bloody wind chill. Victoria downtown has some of the worst kind of wind chill which makes temperature feel way colder.

On the flipside, even though victoria and vancouver are fairly close to each other, Vancouver is very seattle like in terms of rains, you have to get used to it. Victoria receives maximum sunshine.

So, no throwing map at incoming people will not work. It never has and will never work. "Winter" is not a "uni-dimensional" beast. I can walk around easy in Calgary during Chinook winds but I will dare not venture out in downtown during windy days in winter, even though Calgary is supposed colder!

One has to live in a place to know it. There is no other way.

Then saying that Ontario basically has all the same climate , when the southern most point in Ontario is on the same latitude as Northern California, needs to check their facts .
Grass outside my building in Etobicoke was still green this winter .
As I said, weather and climate is complicated. And its impact on people is even more complicated. Maps only take you that far.

I have a disposition in which I have no issues living in solitude for years. There are people who go crazy even in a week. Lockdown was the most fun period of my life till date because I was locked down with my wife and son. I would have loved it equally if I were alone. I think a lot of people went absolute ape due to solitude.

There are many parts of Canada in which you may have to stay in for weeks due to weather. Its a fact.

People that just came to this train wreck of a country don’t get to complain about the weather if you’ve never taken the time to research it in the first place.
Unless you have lived in a place, you don't know how it will affect you. And YES, people can regret the weather and climate. Any new venture has risks. Its important to know about it. Most immigrants have not even seen a snowfall in their lifetime. How will they feel in long term? Its not set in stone and its not known beforehand. Many do great. Many do extremely worse.

And what bullshit are you complaining about ? You literally just landed two years ago . Like you CHOSE to immigrate here. Versus some of us having roots in this country going back prior to Confederation. I’ve earned the right to complain what’s happened to this country
My dear, I am here in Canada since 2017. From 2017 till 2021 I was a temp worker. I applied for PR in 2021 and got CoPR in 2022. So it has been about 7 years here. Yup, I do know a little bit about Canada, lets say.

And yes, I do have every fukken right to complain because last I checked motherfukken speech is still free in this country. I have contributed about 10 times in taxes that an average canadian does. I have paid my motherfukken dues. TYVM.

Reactions: DesiPikachu