+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need an urgent advice - PGWP extension (passport expiry)

Shourya Jain

Mar 17, 2022
Category........
WP
LANDED..........
11-09-2020
Hello all! I need an urgent advice on my Post Graduate Work Permit extension online application. I have no one to guide me at this moment.

I came to Canada as an international student back in September 2020, enrolled in a 2 year diploma program. The program ended in April 2022 and I submitted my initial PGWP application at the exact time. Approximately 3.5 months after the submission, I received my PGWP in August 2022.

I was suppose to receive a PGWP for 3 years but because my passport was expiring in April 2023, received only 8 months of the duration on my PGWP. In the meantime, I was fortunate to find a stable job and since then working full-time. In December 2022, I applied for passport renewal and received the new passport in January 2023

As soon I received the new/renewed passport, I applied for PGWP extension (due to passport expiry) on 21 February 2023. On Feb 23 2023 I received a letter from IRCC under "WP-EXT only except PGWP " which says as follows:

This confirms that your application has been received by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) on _February 21, 2023_ (yyyy/mm/dd). Please attach this letter to your present work permit Number as proof that you are authorized to continue working with the same conditions (ie: employer and occupation) until June 22, 2023 or until a decision is made on your application, whichever is first. This extended period of work is authorized as per subsection 186(u) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations. If you leave Canada before a decision is made on your application, you will no longer be authorized to continue working.

------------------

On April 5 2023, Almost 2 months after submitting the PGWP extension application and 3 days before my initial PGWP was expiring, received a mail from IRCC outside the application under the subject 2023 Interim Work Authorization for PGWP / Autorisation de travail provisoire 2023 pour PTPD which mentions as follows:

April 5, 2023

Dear client [My Client Number],

As a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) holder with work permit number [Permit Number], you may be eligible for a special facilitation measure to allow you to stay and work in Canada, as announced on March 17, 2023.

If you are in Canada, this Interim Work Authorization allows you to continue working in Canada until May 31, 2024, while you apply for a work permit. You must take action and apply for the extended work permit under the recently announced special measure:

• If your work permit is currently valid: You will need to go to your IRCC Secure Account to ‘opt-in’ for the extended work permit starting April 6, 2023 until May 20, 2023, or
  • If your work permit has expired: You will need to submit a work permit application through the regular process. Instructions on how to apply will be available on Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s website, as of April 6, 2023.

This authorization letter does not confer your status in Canada and all foreign nationals must have and maintain their temporary resident status. You must be physically in Canada to use this interim work authorization as it cannot be used to travel or obtain entry to Canada.

For more information and details about this special measure, including the interim work authorization, please visit: Interim work authorization for some current and former post-graduation work permit holders – Canada.ca

Sincerely,
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

--------------------

Today is June 21, 2023 and I have received no further communications from IRCC regarding the application. The WP-EXT only except PGWP letter expires tomorrow and I have no clue about my next step. It will be so helpful if any guidance can be provided.

Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello all! I need an urgent advice on my Post Graduate Work Permit extension online application. I have no one to guide me at this moment.

I came to Canada as an international student back in September 2020, enrolled in a 2 year diploma program. The program ended in April 2022 and I submitted my initial PGWP application at the exact time. Approximately 3.5 months after the submission, I received my PGWP in August 2022.

I was suppose to receive a PGWP for 3 years but because my passport was expiring in April 2023, received only 8 months of the duration on my PGWP. In the meantime, I was fortunate to find a stable job and since then working full-time. In December 2022, I applied for passport renewal and received the new passport in January 2023

As soon I received the new/renewed passport, I applied for PGWP extension (due to passport expiry) on 21 February 2023. On Feb 23 2023 I received a letter from IRCC under "WP-EXT only except PGWP " which says as follows:

This confirms that your application has been received by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) on _February 21, 2023_ (yyyy/mm/dd). Please attach this letter to your present work permit Number as proof that you are authorized to continue working with the same conditions (ie: employer and occupation) until June 22, 2023 or until a decision is made on your application, whichever is first. This extended period of work is authorized as per subsection 186(u) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations. If you leave Canada before a decision is made on your application, you will no longer be authorized to continue working.

------------------

On April 5 2023, Almost 2 months after submitting the PGWP extension application and 3 days before my initial PGWP was expiring, received a mail from IRCC outside the application under the subject 2023 Interim Work Authorization for PGWP / Autorisation de travail provisoire 2023 pour PTPD which mentions as follows:

April 5, 2023

Dear client [My Client Number],

As a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) holder with work permit number [Permit Number], you may be eligible for a special facilitation measure to allow you to stay and work in Canada, as announced on March 17, 2023.

If you are in Canada, this Interim Work Authorization allows you to continue working in Canada until May 31, 2024, while you apply for a work permit. You must take action and apply for the extended work permit under the recently announced special measure:

• If your work permit is currently valid: You will need to go to your IRCC Secure Account to ‘opt-in’ for the extended work permit starting April 6, 2023 until May 20, 2023, or
  • If your work permit has expired: You will need to submit a work permit application through the regular process. Instructions on how to apply will be available on Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s website, as of April 6, 2023.

This authorization letter does not confer your status in Canada and all foreign nationals must have and maintain their temporary resident status. You must be physically in Canada to use this interim work authorization as it cannot be used to travel or obtain entry to Canada.

For more information and details about this special measure, including the interim work authorization, please visit: Interim work authorization for some current and former post-graduation work permit holders – Canada.ca

Sincerely,
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

--------------------

Today is June 21, 2023 and I have received no further communications from IRCC regarding the application. The WP-EXT only except PGWP letter expires tomorrow and I have no clue about my next step. It will be so helpful if any guidance can be provided.

Thank you!
Post your question to the Foreign Workers section of the forum.