+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need advise on house and schools @ Toronto

Narayani

Oct 20, 2016
Hi All : Coming to Toronto along with my son aged 13 years. I need to search for jobs and admit my son in a school there. I know the place a little since we came twice earlier but not very familiar with school information. I searched google but could not conclude anything. Please advise-

a) Better school for my son in 8th standard in India to admit in Toronto
b) A better place for us to live with public transport system and within reasonable cost

My future jobs will be in downtown area so I have to take a house nearby/commutable to that location but I also need to look for my son's school and care for rents. So need expert advise from experienced members! Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Re: Need advise on house and schools @ Toronto

Much of the answer will depend on what you are willing to spend.

If you're planning on buying - what is your budget?

If you're planning on renting - what are you looking to pay per month?

sharedknowledge

Nov 30, 2012

Narayani said:
Hi All : Coming to Toronto along with my son aged 13 years. I need to search for jobs and admit my son in a school there. I know the place a little since we came twice earlier but not very familiar with school information. I searched google but could not conclude anything. Please advise-

a) Better school for my son in 8th standard in India to admit in Toronto
b) A better place for us to live with public transport system and within reasonable cost

My future jobs will be in downtown area so I have to take a house nearby/commutable to that location but I also need to look for my son's school and care for rents. So need expert advise from experienced members! Thank you.
a) Public schools are everywhere in GTA. A critical factor is a school's rating. Go to this link to find ratings of different schools in the neighborhood you select to live https://www.fraserinstitute.org/school-performance

b) In my opinion, only downtown areas are well-served by the mass transport systems.

Narayani

Oct 20, 2016

Thanks, what are the area names in and around 5-10 kms of downtown in Toronto? Please suggest some residential areas where I can find a reasonably priced apartment immediately on arriving.. Are there any apartments which I can get without job offer? I have PR card, SIN etc.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Narayani said:
Thanks, what are the area names in and around 5-10 kms of downtown in Toronto? Please suggest some residential areas where I can find a reasonably priced apartment immediately on arriving.. Are there any apartments which I can get without job offer? I have PR card, SIN etc.
Why don't you use craiglist (or other website) to find available listings and then google to see if the rental listing fall within 5-10km of downtown in Toronto?

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-09-2013, sent 17-09-2013, DM 06-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013

Narayani said:
Don't limit yourself to that distance unless you plan to walk to work. Any place that is close to TTC subway will get you to downtown Toronto in time for work.

Many families choose to live in the suburbs and use the GO train to commute to downtown for work.

Depends on what your preferences are.

Narayani

Oct 20, 2016

rizmayo said:
Don't limit yourself to that distance unless you plan to walk to work. Any place that is close to TTC subway will get you to downtown Toronto in time for work.

Many families choose to live in the suburbs and use the GO train to commute to downtown for work.

Depends on what your preferences are.
Good suggestion. Thanks. Can children stay at home alone while the parents go for work? Is there any age limit rule? Can they go to shops alone and can they travel by buses/TTC subways without parents?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Narayani said:
Good suggestion. Thanks. Can children stay at home alone while the parents go for work? Is there any age limit rule? Can they go to shops alone and can they travel by buses/TTC subways without parents?
Unless you are over protective, your teenaged child can be home / shop alone and can travel transit without parents.

Narayani

Oct 20, 2016

steaky said:
Unless you are over protective, your teenaged child can be home / shop alone and can travel transit without parents.
:) Thanks! Just wanted to check the rule.

Narayani

Oct 20, 2016

Hi again, want to check if we get Indian type of Mixer-Grinder there in Toronto or do we have to get it from here.. If available in Toronto, where. Thanks.

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-09-2013, sent 17-09-2013, DM 06-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013

Narayani said:
The age limit to be home alone in Ontario is 10. Other provinces have higher age limits.

Narayani

Oct 20, 2016

rizmayo said:
The age limit to be home alone in Ontario is 10. Other provinces have higher age limits.
Thanks a ton for the information.

optimus1509

Star Member
Oct 10, 2015

Dont bother getting a mixer grinder from India coz its not going to work. Canada uses 110V whereas india is on 220V. However, please also let me know where you got one in Toronto, i am also looking for one.