+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need advise, call immigration or not

Danifola

Star Member
Dec 13, 2019
Hi all,
Please I need advise, this is serious as it’s affecting me more than I can tell.
I was unfortunate to have the worse employer when I applied for MB PNP, and the worse immigration processing officer. My employer at the time refused to pick calls from immigration, because quite she didn’t want to have anything to do with immigration. Immigration officer processing my file insisted I have to get a LMIA approved whatever even though at the time I was on PWGP.I was later refused, that put me in a situation where I had waited for PNP and lost time, permit was expiring. So I went on study permit, left that province, moved to AB.
I was registered in school to start, when I got a job offer,LMIA approved, live in nanny. This is not the type of job I would do, as I have the education and experience for better jobs, I got better job offers as a program manager for a company, but none cannot do LMIA. So I had to go below my wage level and experience just for LMIA and a work permit.
while waiting for the work permit, new employers insisted they I could start work and they will pay me cash, Cos they were desperate and needed help fast.
I started the job 7 months ago, and officially 4 months considering when I got my work permit.
I had a low CRS score because of the job offer, but since I started, am basically their slave.
I clean toilets, asked to wash windows of not a small house, literally a mini mansion.
They bought 2 additional dogs plus 2 dogs that they had before. Making 4 dogs that poop and pee in the house. They are not trained, I clean dogs poops all day. Cook, do laundry for employers including all the involves the baby.
Am suppose to work till 5pm but I work till 7pm min every day, sometimes 8pm. On my feet, when I take breaks according to my contract, I get complains from employer that this and that didn’t get done. So my question here is, I plan to call immigration today to report this but I have an application through CEC going on, got invite through the 75 draw. When I submitted my application I didn’t claim a single point for this LMIA, it didn’t even give a point, hence the low point of 365. Even though am a graduate in Canada.
should I continue to suffer and wait it out. Or just call immigration today and let them know what am passing though. Employer called me yesterday to talk, that I must start coming back to clean up after them at 8:30, in other to please her husband because he hates mess that they create, not even the baby.
I am mentally check out and so depressed at this point. I am not allow sick days, if I get sick, they basically tell me I have to work because they are busy and can’t care for their 18 months old son. I am a cook, cleaner, nanny, employers minders, I pick up employers underwear and have to wash and put them away or it’s complain. Please I need advise, what should I do? @legalfalcon
I can’t call labour board Cos those knuckleheads will call employer and ask, and because I stay with them, I am in a bad situation, also I have evidence written, of employer adding duties to my job and writing what she wants to eat and all like am a chef

Danifola

Star Member
Dec 13, 2019
Her husband had threatened me before that if I leave they will call immigration to report, he claim to be joking, but we all know it’s not a joke.
i Tried to get accommodations outside their home, employers insisted I can’t share homes with someone, all this happening in Ontario.
I can’t afford to stay alone based on wage they pay me. So am stuck with them.
I actually thought to abandon all and just go back home because I am so tired and done

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all,
Please I need advise, this is serious as it’s affecting me more than I can tell.
I was unfortunate to have the worse employer when I applied for MB PNP, and the worse immigration processing officer. My employer at the time refused to pick calls from immigration, because quite she didn’t want to have anything to do with immigration. Immigration officer processing my file insisted I have to get a LMIA approved whatever even though at the time I was on PWGP.I was later refused, that put me in a situation where I had waited for PNP and lost time, permit was expiring. So I went on study permit, left that province, moved to AB.
I was registered in school to start, when I got a job offer,LMIA approved, live in nanny. This is not the type of job I would do, as I have the education and experience for better jobs, I got better job offers as a program manager for a company, but none cannot do LMIA. So I had to go below my wage level and experience just for LMIA and a work permit.
while waiting for the work permit, new employers insisted they I could start work and they will pay me cash, Cos they were desperate and needed help fast.
I started the job 7 months ago, and officially 4 months considering when I got my work permit.
I had a low CRS score because of the job offer, but since I started, am basically their slave.
I clean toilets, asked to wash windows of not a small house, literally a mini mansion.
They bought 2 additional dogs plus 2 dogs that they had before. Making 4 dogs that poop and pee in the house. They are not trained, I clean dogs poops all day. Cook, do laundry for employers including all the involves the baby.
Am suppose to work till 5pm but I work till 7pm min every day, sometimes 8pm. On my feet, when I take breaks according to my contract, I get complains from employer that this and that didn’t get done. So my question here is, I plan to call immigration today to report this but I have an application through CEC going on, got invite through the 75 draw. When I submitted my application I didn’t claim a single point for this LMIA, it didn’t even give a point, hence the low point of 365. Even though am a graduate in Canada.
should I continue to suffer and wait it out. Or just call immigration today and let them know what am passing though. Employer called me yesterday to talk, that I must start coming back to clean up after them at 8:30, in other to please her husband because he hates mess that they create, not even the baby.
I am mentally check out and so depressed at this point. I am not allow sick days, if I get sick, they basically tell me I have to work because they are busy and can’t care for their 18 months old son. I am a cook, cleaner, nanny, employers minders, I pick up employers underwear and have to wash and put them away or it’s complain. Please I need advise, what should I do? @legalfalcon
I can’t call labour board Cos those knuckleheads will call employer and ask, and because I stay with them, I am in a bad situation, also I have evidence written, of employer adding duties to my job and writing what she wants to eat and all like am a chef
What is your status in Canada right now? It sounds like you are waiting for a work permit. Do you have valid visitor status? Or another status?

There is an open work permit for vulnerable workers that might help your situation (see link below). However whether this is possible may depend on your status in Canada and whether you are currently working without authorization (that's not clear from your post).

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/vulnerable-workers.html

Reactions: dankboi

Danifola

Star Member
Dec 13, 2019
I have my work permit approved, already 4 months in. Have submitted application for my Pr 1 month in with that too.
its a closed work permit, so I can’t apply for BOWP

Danifola

Star Member
Dec 13, 2019
If I have an open work permit, getting a new job offer is not the problem. As I still get offers everyday.
plus I have a study permit approved also, that gives me status for additional 4 years

dankboi

VIP Member
Apr 19, 2021
London, United Kingdom
Category........
FSW
What is your status in Canada right now? It sounds like you are waiting for a work permit. Do you have valid visitor status? Or another status?

There is an open work permit for vulnerable workers that might help your situation (see link below). However whether this is possible may depend on your status in Canada and whether you are currently working without authorization (that's not clear from your post).

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/vulnerable-workers.html
If a worker reports an abuse when they are on PGWP / IEC, Will there be any sort of retaliation from the employers? how safe are these workers after they report such abuse to the officials? I am just trying to understand the realities. More we know from fellow folks who live there, the more we come prepared. so :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have my work permit approved, already 4 months in. Have submitted application for my Pr 1 month in with that too.
its a closed work permit, so I can’t apply for BOWP
I would apply for the vulnerable open work permit that I provided a link to above.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Hi all,
Lets ask @legalfalcon , legalfalcon will help you, Since i am not in Canada i am unaware of the realities, legal issues and the counter effects. Don't worry man.

Sorry to hear about your situation. Calling immigration would not help you much. Given that you have an immigration application in progress, it would be ideal that you approach an immigration / law clinic to get your case evaluated and seek their advise. They can even take you case and do the paper work for you. IRCC cannot act on phone calls, they will ask you to report any abuse to the police by calling 911.

Law clinics are run by law students or volunteer lawyers and are located across Canada, specially in and around law schools.

Also, some volunteer organisations also provide legal assistance

See http://www.migrantworkersalliance.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/LICG-mwac.pdf

They will be able to evaluate your case, documents and provide you with the right advise. The forum can only point you to the resources, but without evaluating your documents, your precise immigration scenario, it is difficult to give a conclusive answer, specially under your circumstances.

Also, taking any steps to apply for a wp for venurable workers will need documentary evidence, and meet the threshold. So without jeopardising your situation and your status, you should seek help and assistance immediately and do as advised.

You can google law clinics and you can get the list of those close to you. Due to COVID, some clinics may not be open, but they will let you know when to contact them.

Hope this helps.

Danifola

Star Member
Dec 13, 2019
Sorry to hear about your situation. Calling immigration would not help you much. Given that you have an immigration application in progress, it would be ideal that you approach an immigration / law clinic to get your case evaluated and seek their advise. They can even take you case and do the paper work for you. IRCC cannot act on phone calls, they will ask you to report any abuse to the police by calling 911.

Law clinics are run by law students or volunteer lawyers and are located across Canada, specially in and around law schools.

Also, some volunteer organisations also provide legal assistance

See http://www.migrantworkersalliance.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/LICG-mwac.pdf

They will be able to evaluate your case, documents and provide you with the right advise. The forum can only point you to the resources, but without evaluating your documents, your precise immigration scenario, it is difficult to give a conclusive answer, specially under your circumstances.

You can google law clinics and you can get the list of those close to you. Due to COVID, some clinics may not be open, but they will let you know when to contact them.

Hope this helps.
Thank you so much, this helps

Danifola

Star Member
Dec 13, 2019
Wow this is awesome, thanks to all who replied and actually helped. It’s not as easy as people think Canada is. 4 years paying international student fees only to graduate and still face all this. It becomes too much at a point

Reactions: hyong1991

Danifola

Star Member
Dec 13, 2019
I hope it works too, because am just ready to pack my bags and leave. I called and reported to police already, they can’t do much. But report is in. Left a voice note for employment and social development Canada. I can’t count the number of times I had to work extra hours, with no pay.
people told me to refer employer back to my contract, like I didn’t. When I did she treated me like a thief all that week, till I agreed to do extra duties. Moreover she’s a prominent lawyer in Canada, got nominated for best lawyer in Canada. So she knows exactly what she’s doing.
she tells me that her friends that have foreign tell her that they do everything in the house plus child care. More like a maid job. How is that even normal

Reactions: hyong1991

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
I hope it works too, because am just ready to pack my bags and leave. I called and reported to police already, they can’t do much. But report is in. Left a voice note for employment and social development Canada. I can’t count the number of times I had to work extra hours, with no pay.
people told me to refer employer back to my contract, like I didn’t. When I did she treated me like a thief all that week, till I agreed to do extra duties. Moreover she’s a prominent lawyer in Canada, got nominated for best lawyer in Canada. So she knows exactly what she’s doing.
she tells me that her friends that have foreign tell her that they do everything in the house plus child care. More like a maid job. How is that even normal
When applying for vulnerable work permit make sure you have following stuff.
When applying for the open work permit, the migrant worker must describe the abuse or risk of abuse they face by submitting a letter of explanation.

In addition, noting that none of the following examples are required, evidence of abuse and risk of abuse may include but is not limited to the following:

• a letter, statement or report from an abuse support organization, medical doctor, health-care professional or other such entity
  • a sworn statement (affidavit) by the applicant
  • a copy of an official complaint form filed with an enforcement agency
    • for example, a police or CBSA report related to an investigation or a copy of an official complaint completed by the migrant worker and submitted to a provincial enforcement agency, such as an employment standards branch
  • supporting or additional material, such as victim impact statements, hard copies of email messages, photos showing injuries or working conditions, witness testimonies

Danifola

Star Member
Dec 13, 2019
Oh I have all this, so am ready, will apply for that today.
police not helping though, called and gave a report, but was told if it’s not physical violence they can’t do anything. And they fear if they show up for wellness check, it would make the matters worse. Took down the officers badge number and name. Will include that in my LOE.
I have screenshots of text messages employers asking me to wash 4 different bathroom and polish furnishings and floors. Also pictures of her listing extra duties in note pads for me to do. Like wash her deck, windows. I sure hope all this ok.
I’m waiting on a call back from employment and development Canada. So we shall see