+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need advice

lieudefroid

Nov 29, 2015
Hi all

I am at 447 points. I already have CLB 10 in IELTS and so can't improve in that section. I've already applied for some PNPs and waiting for their nominations, which are atleast 6 months away if I am lucky. I'm also preparing for TEF that will give me some points next year hopefully. But I am unable to spend so much time in my French prep as I would have liked. Will it be a good idea to take some time off work (say 6 months) and prepare full time. I have 10 years of continuous work ex in last 10 years in NOC A so I won't lose points for workex. I can take another job after TEF of course.

Well I know it's a personal choice but I would appreciate if someone can add their thoughts too that would help me see this from other angles. The best option for me is if my employer would give me 6 to 8 months of leave but I dont think they will appreciate if I say that's to prepare for emigrating out :)

Reginald

Jun 29, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
SCH A Oct 20
AOR Received.
Sep 24
I totally understand your situation. But leaving work.....is it very easy to land another one? Can you maybe take the french class in the evening or weekend so you retain your job? Also, depending on your month of birth, you may lose point on age by next year.

If you will need six months to prepare for tef, that is almost enough time to get a masters degree if you don't already have one which will boost your points.

Reginald

Jun 29, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
SCH A Oct 20
AOR Received.
Sep 24
Oh, I see you mean take a leave, not leave your job. A leave that long, if granted, is it gonna be paid? Cos you need to show proof for of funds in your application. Also, how will you report such leave in your LOE, study leave?

lieudefroid

Nov 29, 2015
I already have a masters, considering both long leave and quiting work, latter being last option. It's stressful to work and study in evenings / weekends while also having a small kid at home. But I guess that's the way life is. I have sufficient funds for POF and CIC only wants 1560 hours of work per year for 6 years so I guess no concerns on explaining absence or study.

ibejiopad

Mar 28, 2015
lieudefroid said:
I already have a masters, considering both long leave and quiting work, latter being last option. It's stressful to work and study in evenings / weekends while also having a small kid at home. But I guess that's the way life is. I have sufficient funds for POF and CIC only wants 1560 hours of work per year for 6 years so I guess no concerns on explaining absence or study.
What you need is a little more faith. You already applied for a provincial nomination, hopefully that would come out good. In my own opinion, I don't think you should resign for a french test that you may eventually never use. In fact, going by the feelers from IRCC/CIC, the cut-off/draw point is expected to drop as they clear their backlogs; and 6 months is a reasonable time to expect such drop.

Hang in there and wait for your PNP nomination, and also expect the points to drop.

lieudefroid

Nov 29, 2015
ibejiopad said:
What you need is a little more faith. You already applied for a provincial nomination, hopefully that would come out good. In my own opinion, I don't think you should resign for a french test that you may eventually never use. In fact, going by the feelers from IRCC/CIC, the cut-off/draw point is expected to drop as they clear their backlogs; and 6 months is a reasonable time to expect such drop.

Hang in there and wait for your PNP nomination, and also expect the points to drop.
Yes, thank you. Nice perspective. If the PNP comes through, then the points from TEF are needed at all. So why stress so much? :D

I was planning to use TEF and do away with the PNP but of course, taking the safe and easy way out makes more sense.