+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need Advice

Naddz

Nov 18, 2015
Hey all!

I need your advice on getting Asylum status. Please tell me whether my fear and feelings are reasonable to get asylum status to move to Canada.

My fear is I am a gay, I am now 25 years old I am living in Sri Lanka and i am a Muslim too. My family nowadays insisting me to get married to a girl but as a gay i cannot do that and i cannot tell my family i am a gay, if i tell them i will be kicked out of the home and after that my social status will be gone as a result i will have to loose my job after that i will have to beg for food and shelter.

I need a life with full freedom and i need a good future being a gay i have fear that i will be lost my future if i continue to live here therefore i am looking for move from here to Canada. Please advice me on this.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can claim asylum in one of two ways:

You can come to Canada as a tourist and claim asylum when you arrive in Canada. In order to do this, you need to apply for a tourist visa and be approved. I suspect it may be quite difficult for you to be approved for a tourist visa since you are young and single. However you can certainly try.

You can also claim asylum from outside of Canada. In order to do this, you need to be living outside of your home country and you also need to be recognized as a refugee by UNHCR or a similar referal organization.

CanadianForces

May 6, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OP,

There are documentary evidence showing in Sri Lanka gay people are now becoming more open in their behaviour. In case you decide to come to Canada to claim asylum, be prepared to explain why you didn't seek support from the gay community in Sri Lanka but you choose to flee to Canada.

The Canadian Government (Immigration and Refugee Board) is familiar with the Sri Lankan gay organization called 'Companions on a Journey'. This is an organization that support Gays, Bi-sexuals, Lesbians and Trans gendered People - GLBT) to live with freedom and dignity. The IRB will certainly ask you if you have heard of this organization and why haven't you seek support from them.

http://www.salgbtnetwork.org/partnerhome.php?pid=12
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4551903.stm

To qualify for asylum, you will need to prove the following:

1- You have been persecuted because you are gay - you will have to tell the Immigration and Refugee Board in full details what had happened to you in Sri Lanka. How were you mistreated because of your sexual orientation.
2- You will have to demonstrate that you have seek the protection from your government or police but they fail to protect you.
3- You will have to demonstrate that you have seek support from the gay community in Sri Lanka but to not avail.
4- You will have to demonstrate that you couldn't relocate anywhere else in Sri Lanka and that is why you choose to run to Canada.

Good luck

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
CanadianForces -

1+ for providing great information.

FYI - Based on the OP's previous posts, I doubt he can actually prove any of the points you listed. He's been in an online relationship with a man in Canada who he has yet to meet in person and is trying to find a way to get to Canada to be with this person. I think he was hoping to use the refugee process as a means of getting to Canada. I don't believe he meets the criteria of a refugee at this point and would be refused if he tried to apply.

CanadianForces

May 6, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good Job to you Scylla for keeping the forum active.
It is unfortunate that some people would use the refugee route to bypass immigration process to move to Canada.
Fortunately, the IRB has become more diligent in deterring false asylum claims.
Should someone make up evidences to support his refugee claim, the person will most likely be caught under cross examination by the IRB.
Trust me, it is not a joke to face the IRB questioning in a hearing that would last at least 2 hours - this is where most false claims come to light given that the refugee claimants always end up contradicting themselves in their testimonies.
I wouldn't advise anyone to claim refugee status when there is no fear of persecution. Doing so will only create unnecessary backlog in the system when there are genuine cases that are waiting to be heard.