+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need Advice

LouPR

Jan 25, 2010
Hi,
I´ve been a Canadian Citizen for almost 8 years.
I´ll get marry soon with my girlfriend. She was in Canada a few years ago, almost 4 years ago.
Thats when we meet. She was in refugee proces at the time, but she canceled the process and went back to Mexico.
Since then i´ve been visiting her. Now that we get marry i am not sure if i sould apply for her as family class sponsorship or for the residence. And I also wonder if they´ll let her come to Canada with me and wait for the process in Canada or if she´ll have to wait in her Country :'( .
I appreciate your help.
Thanks! :)

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
You need to apply to sponsor her for permanent residence after you are married.
You can find more info about that here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp
You send everything in together, but it's actually two applications: your application to sponsor her and her application for permanent residence. You send it to Mississauga where they first check your part of the app and then they send it to the appropriate visa office (in your case probably Mexico City) and there they process your wife's part.

The fact that she is married to a Canadian citizen or that she has applied for permanent residency does not give her any special status. If she wants to come to Canada, she will have to do what every Mexican citizen has to do - apply for a TRV. With her history though (the refugee application, married to a Canadian), it's unlikely she will get that visa because CIC will probably feel that she intends to stay in Canada for good.