IELTS Request
Med's Done....
24-07-2013
Passport Req..
19-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
27-09-2013
LANDED..........
Sukh wele shukrana, dukh wele ardaas... har wele simran!!
Hi guys, I have a bit of confusion regarding summer job. ***I may be wrong and kindly correct me wherever needed.***
As per cic website, International students can work full-time during summer break. I currently work part-time on-campus. I'll be getting my off-campus SIN number on 2nd June (as per new rules). So my friends hooked me up for a nice camp job for 3 months during my break (june-aug approx. 40-50 hrs/week). My problem starts here.
On-campus job is indefinite and they will continue to pay me even during break (work is still there) and i wish to keep it throughout my course and beyond (I can work part-time from home as well just to let u know and i'll be promoted next semester). Now my question is CAN I WORK these 2 JOBS DURING SUMMERS? or Do I need to pick one? I would like to keep myself within CIC rules (no unintentional errors!)

I would highly appreciate your honest replies.

Wordlife

Star Member
Sep 11, 2013
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-09-2013
Doc's Request.
19-09-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
24-07-2013
Passport Req..
19-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
27-09-2013
LANDED..........
Re: Advice regarding summer job!

Regina said:
Call to CIC and ask. They do not ask for names.
Call twice at least: you may get two different answers. :)
haha

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Wordlife said:
Hi guys, I have a bit of confusion regarding summer job. ***I may be wrong and kindly correct me wherever needed.***
As per cic website, International students can work full-time during summer break. I currently work part-time on-campus. I'll be getting my off-campus SIN number on 2nd June (as per new rules).
We don't know yet if the new rules applies to students already in Canada so you may be wrong in your assumption that you can work without a work permit.

Wordlife

Star Member
Sep 11, 2013
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-09-2013
Doc's Request.
19-09-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
24-07-2013
Passport Req..
19-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
27-09-2013
LANDED..........

Regina said:
Actually it says it will apply. But with CIC you cannot be sure that the new rules will be implemented on June 1, 2014.
I am assuming too that new rules would apply. Sept 2013 students would get off-campus work permit before it anyways. Its just the January 2014 intake that is in question here. It would be easier for CIC to monitor student status more uniformly with new rules. I believe we can have more than 1 employer during PGWP but my query still remains whether same thing applies even during study permit as long as number of hours don't exceed the given quota!

ANOTHER QUESTION JUST POPPED UP IN MY HEAD!
Is there any limit to number of hours of work during summer break? They clearly say student can work full-time but it's not specified as to how many maximum hours! (For eg. we know its 20 hours/week during active semesters). Maybe I should call CIC twice tomorrow lol.

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Regina said:
Actually it says it will apply. But with CIC you cannot be sure that the new rules will be implemented on June 1, 2014.
I can't see that it says "current students". I may be wrong. My head is full of goo and I'm antibiotics so don't take my word for anything right now.

Wordlife

Star Member
Sep 11, 2013
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-09-2013
Doc's Request.
19-09-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
24-07-2013
Passport Req..
19-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
27-09-2013
LANDED..........
-------- UPDATE --------

So I called CIC yesterday regarding all above questions and I received honest yet novice reply.

The guy said that they have no idea how new rules are going to apply and that no one is sure whether these rules will implement on students already in canada (before june 2014) or not. So he asked to wait and call back again in a month or so to verify how things go.

That being said, if anyone finds any update, please do share it!

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wordlife said:
I'll be getting my off-campus SIN number on 2nd June (as per new rules).
Don't you have a sin number already? there is no such thing as Of campus sin. There is off campus work permit.

When did you start studying?

Wordlife

Star Member
Sep 11, 2013
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-09-2013
Doc's Request.
19-09-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
24-07-2013
Passport Req..
19-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
27-09-2013
LANDED..........
I already have a sin number but i was told by service bc office that its strictly for on-campus job (as obvious). And that I'll have to come by the office again to get the restrictions uplifted once my off-campus work permit is issued!

But CIC helpline told me that there is no need to apply for off-campus work-permit as per new rules and it automatically authorizes me to work off-campus after June 1 2014 BUT THEN AGAIN HE WASN'T SURE WHETHER NEW RULES ARE TO BE IMPLEMENTED ON NEW-COMERS ONLY OR ON EVERYONE! So all i need to confirm is whether new rules apply on january 2014 batch students or not!! If new rules do apply on me and everyone on jan 2014 batch, then there is no need to apply for work-permit as its an automatic authorization included within study permit (this statement is confirmed by official cic agent!!)

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
Wordlife said:
As per cic website, International students can work full-time during summer break. I currently work part-time on-campus. I'll be getting my off-campus SIN number on 2nd June (as per new rules). So my friends hooked me up for a nice camp job for 3 months during my break (june-aug approx. 40-50 hrs/week). My problem starts here.
On-campus job is indefinite and they will continue to pay me even during break (work is still there) and i wish to keep it throughout my course and beyond (I can work part-time from home as well just to let u know and i'll be promoted next semester). Now my question is CAN I WORK these 2 JOBS DURING SUMMERS? or Do I need to pick one? I would like to keep myself within CIC rules (no unintentional errors!)

I would highly appreciate your honest replies.
As per CIC rules you can work 40 hours a week during scheduled school breaks. Anything over 40 hours is a violation of your SP.

CIC is not going to look to see how many hours you actually worked, but it is a risk to work over 40 (however small the risk may be) and if you are caught, it can cause huge headaches down the road

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
txboyscout said:
As per CIC rules you can work 40 hours a week during scheduled school breaks. Anything over 40 hours is a violation of your SP.

CIC is not going to look to see how many hours you actually worked, but it is a risk to work over 40 (however small the risk may be) and if you are caught, it can cause huge headaches down the road
You are wrong. You can work as many hours as you want. CIC doesn't restrict it to 40hrs at all. It only says full time.

If it says max 40 hrs, please point at where it says 40hrs.