+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need advice on TRV extension while waiting for Spousal Sponsorship

carmenlau

Nov 7, 2017
I have a multi-entry TRV (valid until year 2020) and am currently in Canada. I’m married to a Canadian and we submitted my inland Spousal Sponsorship + Open Work Permit in early January 2019, and it showed that they received the package around January 10 (through the UPS tracking system).

My husband and me have yet to receive any email from them regarding our application nor accept the whole package back (that if our application has any mistake).

My current entry is expiring on February 4th and I wanted to apply for extension on my visitor visa.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=473&top=16
But according to this webpage that i need to apply at least 30 days before my entry expire.

Option 1:
We have in mind that we will go to a short trip out of the country and come back so i can renew my entry.

When I enter the country, the Officer at the airport usually ask me the purpose of my visitation. Should I mention that I am back to the country with my husband or I am visiting my husband.
Should i also mention that i already submitted my spousal sponsorship and waiting for answers?

Does this consider dual-intent? I always seen others mentioning that they will reject my entry if i have dual-intent but i never really understood what it means.

Option 2:
Should i still submit visitor extension even tho its less than 30 days before my current entry expire?

Please advice me on any other options i should proceed further. I really appreciate all the advice

Last edited:

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
i would apply for visitor visa now even though its less than 30 days while i wait for AOR which sometimes takes around 3 months and OWP approved usually within 4 months as OWP.....since my sponsorship + OWP was received when i had visitor status, AOR will confirm my implied status and if for whatever reason need to re-submit sponsorship visitor visa extension will provide status needed for OWP approval.

carmenlau

Nov 7, 2017
i would apply for visitor visa now even though its less than 30 days while i wait for AOR which sometimes takes around 3 months and OWP approved usually within 4 months as OWP.....since my sponsorship + OWP was received when i had visitor status, AOR will confirm my implied status and if for whatever reason need to re-submit sponsorship visitor visa extension will provide status needed for OWP approval.
my TRV is still valid until year 2020, its my current stay is expiring due to the 6 months stay per entry.

I am not sure whether did i get the extension website right, because they ask me to resubmit all my information as tho i am applying for a new visitor visa.