+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

need advice on PR card renewal pls(citizenship app related)

SuperDude

Jan 29, 2013
hey guys, I would like to pick your brains with my situation.

my PR card expires this coming Oct.

took the test and passed with 20/20 on Mar 18th at St. Clair , waiting for Oath Letter.

I am currently out of the country taking care of my mom and will return once the letter arrives.

Since it looks like there could be an indefinite wait for the oath letter, should I come back early to renew my PR card? and how early should it be?

I orginally thought six months would be enough time for CIC to issue oath leeter and planed to come back once I received letter so I would not need to renew my PR. Even if I did not receive the letter in time, I would just come back to Canada at the end of September to renew my PR card. however, I just realized there was a "fatal flaw" in this arrangement: it takes a couple of months to renew PR card now and if the oath letter came after Oct (after my PR card expiry date and renewal still being processed) I would be going to the Oath holding an expired PR card. I know that at the time of taking oath, we need to be a "valid" permanent resident.

I wonder ,in my situtaion, when I should come back to renew my PR card? is there any way CIC can find out I meet all the PR obligations even though I have an expired PR at the time of taking oath? It might sound stupid, but is it possible that I can call CIC to postpone Oath once I get the letter, just to wait for my new PR card to arrive? any thoughts on it would be greatly appreciated.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your focus should be on not breaching the RO prior to oath date. If there is no sec 44 report on file at oath schedule and oath date then you will be good. CIC know that the current processing times mean your timelines may not be in sync with your PR Card expiry so its not anything special to them that you are renewing. More of an issue is if CBSA query your lengthy absence post test at the POE, bring it to the attention of CIC who rightly or wrongly read into it whatever it is CIC read with these type of absences (its not exactly a short vacation) then decide they may need to assess your residency and issue an RQ. Are they aware of your 'being out of Canada'?

SuperDude

Jan 29, 2013
Msafiri said:
Your focus should be on not breaching the RO prior to oath date. If there is no sec 44 report on file at oath schedule and oath date then you will be good. CIC know that the current processing times mean your timelines may not be in sync with your PR Card expiry so its not anything special to them that you are renewing. More of an issue is if CBSA query your lengthy absence post test at the POE, bring it to the attention of CIC who rightly or wrongly read into it whatever it is CIC read with these type of absences (its not exactly a short vacation) then decide they may need to assess your residency and issue an RQ. Are they aware of your 'being out of Canada'?
thanks for your prompt reply, Msafiri. Yes, they are aware of that. The lady who interview me after the test did not raise any concerns on that, told me everything was fine on her side and she would pass my file onto a CJ. and I forgot to mention early that I am a memeber of the unfortunate RQ crowd. I got RQed in Oct 2012 and sent everything to CIC afterwards. I was so happy when I saw the "invitation to citizenship exam" , but starting to feel like my optimism might be unjustified from the experience shared by other folks in the forum who have taken the test and still waiting...

SuperDude

Jan 29, 2013
and there should be no problem for me to meet RO. I have been in Canada for the most part of the past five years, left just recently due to my mom's health issue.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In my opinion it seems there is some misunderstanding for RQd applicants who believe being scheduled for the test means all was well with the RQ. What was the RQ reason? More importantly do you believe the documents you submitted resolved any residency issues i.e. were they substantive evidence of physical presence that the CJ can't disprove? How many days of actual physical presence did you declare?

If your RQ satisfied CIC and they have recommended CJ to approve (and CJ agrees) you should be good and will oath ok. If CJ wants a hearing then you won't be getting an oath any time soon. Issue out of their hands though is if your background checks expire before the oath then they have to be re-run. Hopefully your mail is reliably checked...you don't want to miss the notification since no show nowadays means application closed.

Good luck

babariz

Mar 30, 2014
SuperDude said:
hey guys, I would like to pick your brains with my situation.

my PR card expires this coming Oct.

took the test and passed with 20/20 on Mar 18th at St. Clair , waiting for Oath Letter.

I am currently out of the country taking care of my mom and will return once the letter arrives.

Since it looks like there could be an indefinite wait for the oath letter, should I come back early to renew my PR card? and how early should it be?

I orginally thought six months would be enough time for CIC to issue oath leeter and planed to come back once I received letter so I would not need to renew my PR. Even if I did not receive the letter in time, I would just come back to Canada at the end of September to renew my PR card. however, I just realized there was a "fatal flaw" in this arrangement: it takes a couple of months to renew PR card now and if the oath letter came after Oct (after my PR card expiry date and renewal still being processed) I would be going to the Oath holding an expired PR card. I know that at the time of taking oath, we need to be a "valid" permanent resident.

I wonder ,in my situtaion, when I should come back to renew my PR card? is there any way CIC can find out I meet all the PR obligations even though I have an expired PR at the time of taking oath? It might sound stupid, but is it possible that I can call CIC to postpone Oath once I get the letter, just to wait for my new PR card to arrive? any thoughts on it would be greatly appreciated.
Hi experts pls give your feedback Do we need to have a valid PR during Oath please some one advise? Having said that as aim waiting for my Oath and my PR is expired and i did not renewed it should i renew now?