+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need advice on my wife PR renewal

canada2014

Jun 26, 2012
Hi,

Need advice on my wife PR renewal.

I am canadian citizen and my wife PR expires by sept end. My son born in canada.

Currently, we are out of country.

I will be visiting canada in Oct 2012

my wife is short of 20 days ( 2 years out of 5 years - to maintain PR status)

My wife can only come to canada in next year and i am totally confused.

Should i apply for New PR or is there any way that i can renew her PR after sept. she will be short of 20 days ( 2 years out of 5 years - to maintain PR status)

Please advice..

Maxmillion

Jun 25, 2012
I think your wife will be fine anyway, since she accomply by a Canadian citizen abroad. 2 out of 5 rule doesn't apply. About how to renew, you better contact the cic and ask what supporting documents u need to submit with her renew application.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your wifes PR status is not in danger as long as she has been living with you. However, if she is not visa exempt to Canada, she will have a problem getting a flight to Canada with an expired PR card. She may need to apply for a PR travel document in order to go to Canada and apply for her new PR card.

canada2014

Jun 26, 2012
Thanks a lot for the update.

So,my wife can apply for PR travel document in next year and she can fly to canada with no hurdles ?

Thats a great relief to me..

One more clarification...

I am out of canada for 2 years and staying along with my family. My wife stayed in canada for 700 days.

so, when we apply for travel document in the next year. my wife can show 700 + 720 days in the application, is it true and she wouldn't have any probems

please, clarify.

thanks in advance

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canada2014 said:
Thanks a lot for the update.

So,my wife can apply for PR travel document in next year and she can fly to canada with no hurdles ?

Thats a great relief to me..

One more clarification...

I am out of canada for 2 years and staying along with my family. My wife stayed in canada for 700 days.

so, when we apply for travel document in the next year. my wife can show 700 + 720 days in the application, is it true and she wouldn't have any probems
She can only count days spent with in the last 5 years when she applies. If she has 700 days in Canada but some of them were 5 years ago, if she goes and applies next year, some of these days will have moved outside the 5 year window and will not count any more.

canada2014

Jun 26, 2012
Leon, Thanks for the update.

My wife got PR in 2007. She landed in Aug 2007 and moved out of canada from July 2009.

I moved out of canada from May 2010 and we are together from May 2010 to till date.

I am totally confused with the days count. I am planning to move to canada in Sep 2012 and my wife in April 2013.

My wife PR expires Sep 2012.

Aug 2007 - July 2009 ( appro.. 700 Days )

Please advice, how can we proceed.

Please, don't mind of repeated queries... i am confused and i have to plan my trip according...

Thanks in advance

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canada2014 said:
Leon, Thanks for the update.

My wife got PR in 2007. She landed in Aug 2007 and moved out of canada from July 2009.

I moved out of canada from May 2010 and we are together from May 2010 to till date.

I am totally confused with the days count. I am planning to move to canada in Sep 2012 and my wife in April 2013.

My wife PR expires Sep 2012.

Aug 2007 - July 2009 ( appro.. 700 Days )

Please advice, how can we proceed.

Please, don't mind of repeated queries... i am confused and i have to plan my trip according...

Thanks in advance
If she applies for the travel document say in March, 2013, they will look at the 5 year period from March 2008 until March 2013. Time before March 2008 will not count any more because it has moved outside the 5 year window. She would then have around 16 months in Canada (March 2008 'til July 2009) and time spent with you overseas from May 2010 'til Sept 2012 around 28 months also. Together that makes around 44 months but the 730 days she must have is 2 years or 24 months so she will still have more than enough days to meet the requirements.

canada2014

Jun 26, 2012
Leon, Thanks again for the update.

If she is fine and met the requirements, than i am relaxed.

Thanks for the advice.

canada2014

Jun 26, 2012
Leon, again sorry to bother you.

couple of advices needed.. please

1) To be same side, if i plan trip to canada along with my wife and son in august 1st week, then i hope she willn't have any problems at airport.(Her PR expires on 3rd sep 2012)

2) Now, i am confused about my son's school.. to my knowledge, schools in canada start from sep... My son will now goto PP1(LKG)... what will be joining process to school for my son. If we come to canada by 1st or 2nd week of august, then will my son get admission to school. Mostly, we are planning to come to mississauga.

Please....

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1) Her PR card is still valid so I don't see any problems. Besides, you are travelling with her so you can both say that her PR is ok, she meets the requirements.

2) I do not know about PP1 or LKG. If your son is at an age where he has compulsary attendance, for sure they will let him into school whenever he arrives. If he does not have compulsory attendance yet, it may depend on space and the school district. You should try to find temporary accommodation to start with and then check out school districts which could affect where you want to live.

canada2014

Jun 26, 2012
Dear leon,

Thanks for all the update and advices.

Here again the same doubt….

One of my friend scared me that if PR is expiring soon (i.e in 15 days time) and when we land up in Canada, the immigration people ask lot of questions

1) How many days you spent in Canada, show us the proof
2) What are you doing for 3 years ?
3) Why you are coming back ?
4) etc...

As you know my wife PR details ..

My wife stayed in Canada for almost 2 years (short of 20 days) and I was with her for 2 years out of Canada.

My son born in Canada and we have his birth certificate and some hospital documents.
My wife didn’t worked in Canada and I am afraid what proof can we show up at border…

Leon, will they really ask so many questions at immigration?

Myself and my son both are Canadians and traveling with her…

Please clear this and remove the scary part from my brain…

Thanks for your patience in replying my queries

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They can ask all they want but they still have to grant her entry and with you there, stating that as a Canadian citizen living with your wife overseas, she meets the PR requirements regardless, they can do nothing. If you feel nervous, make a list of dates, from which date to which date she lived in Canada and from which date to which date you lived with her in another country. She could even fill out a PR card renewal application, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/prcard.asp and show that to them to prove that she meets the requirements and say she will be applying for a new PR card once you have arrived in Canada.

canada2014

Jun 26, 2012
Thanks Leon, i will do the same...

One more question..

I want to carry Cad$ 8000 in cash.. any suggestions....

Need to report at customs ?
Will this money taxable ? if i deposit in my canadian account.

Thanks again...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No need to report if under $10K. No - it will not be taxed.