+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need advice on choosing the right University for MBA

rdmedranoo

Star Member
Aug 4, 2014
Dear All

I am planning to apply at Memorial University for a MBA, but i've been seducted by its low tuition fee, but also have a lot of doubts, and i will like to ask you all your expereince in this University.

I know ALL Canadian Universities provide high quality educaction and a very global level, but in labour market, a graduate student from this University gets job offers as fast as ithers from other universities like University of Toronto, victoria, british columbia, alberta, etc?

After I graduate, is there any chance to get job at Newfoundland or should i consider relocating?

My spouse and my 2 kids will be coming with me, will my wife be able to find job while I am studying? Also can I find job due to the new changes in study permits off campus?

Are MBA in demand right now in Canada?

I ask all this questions because I am considering several options: Memorial University, University of Victoria, University of Saskatchewan, University of Calgary, University of Alberta and last on the list due to high education cost University of British Columbia. Any advice on this options? I order them by their tuition fees and that affects alot my decision order too.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

faheem224

Star Member
Jun 20, 2014
HYDERABAD
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rdmedranoo said:
Dear All

I am planning to apply at Memorial University for a MBA, but i've been seducted by its low tuition fee, but also have a lot of doubts, and i will like to ask you all your expereince in this University.

I know ALL Canadian Universities provide high quality educaction and a very global level, but in labour market, a graduate student from this University gets job offers as fast as ithers from other universities like University of Toronto, victoria, british columbia, alberta, etc?

After I graduate, is there any chance to get job at Newfoundland or should i consider relocating?

My spouse and my 2 kids will be coming with me, will my wife be able to find job while I am studying? Also can I find job due to the new changes in study permits off campus?

I ask all this questions because I am considering several options: Memorial University, University of Victoria, University of Saskatchewan, University of Calgary, University of Alberta and last on the list due to high education cost University of British Columbia. Any advice on this options? I order them by their tuition fees and that affects alot my decision order too.

Hey
Even i am also looking for good and cheap universities for MBA.
Northern island univ , humber univ are also cheap it seems...
Where are u located now?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I think you already know the answer. You will have a higher chance of getting a good job in Canada if you go with a higher ranked university such as U of T or Queens or UBC. There are a lot of people with MBAs in Canada. I'm not sure I would say they are "in demand". However having an MBA certainly helps someone to get a job vs. not having one.

rdmedranoo

Star Member
Aug 4, 2014
Hello scylla

Do you think if i attend to U of Victoria or Memorial my chances will be reduced? I mean since I am not sure about if I am eligible for a scholarship for UBC or U of T.

It is possible to enter For example to Memorial and then transfer to UBC if i get a scholarship? If they are for international students, I am located in Honduras.

Best Regards,

vdang

Star Member
Oct 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-05-2014
Doc's Request.
n/a
Nomination.....
Dec 2013
AOR Received.
17-07-14
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
Jan-ish
Med's Request
17-07-14
Med's Done....
22-07-14
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
07-04-15
VISA ISSUED...
20-04-15
LANDED..........
25-04-15
rdmedranoo said:
Dear All

If you want to do an MBA, brand name is everything. Shoot for the top 5 business schools in Canada. Don't cheap out on it because in the end, you put in the same amount of efforts for a lower outcome going to a not so reputable school. If you don't have a lot of money, I would rather go for a master of science degree and try to secure TA, RA positions to help out with the tuition and living fees. This is a much cheaper option. As for what I've observed, if you have a dream company that you would like to work for in the future, try to do some research to see what school they are hiring from. On campus hiring is still one of the best way to get hired. You will have a better chance of being hired by those companies that come to the school's career fairs. Way to check for this:

- Ask or research to see if the school as a career fair and what are the companies that usually shows up.
- Go to your dream company's website and check on the career's page to see if they come to your target school to hire.

I hope this helps.

Vien

rdmedranoo

Star Member
Aug 4, 2014
Hello vdang

Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it and believe me it has been very clear.

I just have some questions about this statement: "master of science degree and try to secure TA, RA positions to help out with the tuition and living fees."

Here my questions:

1) What is the main difference between a MBA and a Master of Science Degree? Are they both accepted equally in labor market? Do they have the same or approx. reputation?

2) What is TA and RA? How they can help me with living and tuition fees?

3) Can i apply to a scholarship or student loan for a Master of Science?

4) What University can you recommend me, not in Quebec, for this master degree?

5) I am being communicating with U of Alberta, U of Calgary, UBC, U of Victoria, Memorial University.Which of those do you think will have a good balance between reputation and tuition fee? Since I will like to immigrate with my family after finishing the master degree.

Thank you so much in advance for your help

Best Regards,

vdang

Star Member
Oct 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-05-2014
Doc's Request.
n/a
Nomination.....
Dec 2013
AOR Received.
17-07-14
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
Jan-ish
Med's Request
17-07-14
Med's Done....
22-07-14
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
07-04-15
VISA ISSUED...
20-04-15
LANDED..........
25-04-15
rdmedranoo said:
Hello vdang

Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it and believe me it has been very clear.

I just have some questions about this statement: "master of science degree and try to secure TA, RA positions to help out with the tuition and living fees."

Here my questions:

1) What is the main difference between a MBA and a Master of Science Degree? Are they both accepted equally in labor market? Do they have the same or approx. reputation?

5) I am being communicating with U of Alberta, U of Calgary, UBC, U of Victoria, Memorial University.Which of those do you think will have a good balance between reputation and tuition fee? Since I will like to immigrate with my family after finishing the master degree.

Best Regards,
Hi Drano,

1) MBA is very general. You will study about business ethics, operations mangement, finance, financial accountings and a bit marketing etc. MS on the other hand is very focused, say a master in finance, you will mainly study subjects in finance. So the main difference is the scope and depth of the two degrees. MBA: larger scope and shallower depth, MS: smaller scope and deeper depth.

2) TA = Teaching Assistant, RA = Research Assistant. You can read about these positions on the school's website. Those are paid positions, you will be earning 4-6000 CAD per semester (depends on the school, hours work and position). For some schools, having a TA or RA position will give you a discount on your tuition, so you're paying in-state tuition vs rate for international student.

vdang

Star Member
Oct 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-05-2014
Doc's Request.
n/a
Nomination.....
Dec 2013
AOR Received.
17-07-14
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
Jan-ish
Med's Request
17-07-14
Med's Done....
22-07-14
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
07-04-15
VISA ISSUED...
20-04-15
LANDED..........
25-04-15
rdmedranoo said:
Hello vdang

Here my questions:

Best Regards,
3) Yes, there are numerous scholarships available. Most of the schools you listed should have scholarships. You can contact the school for more information or check their website.

4) I would stick with better schools like UBC, U of Calgary, U Torronto, or McGills. There's also SFU that's pretty good for business, especially economics. UBC should be top for econ.

5) When you do your master, tuition usually doesn't matter much. Find the school with good reputation and funding. UBC should be a pretty good one for the region. Usually, grants and TA, RA positions are saved for PhD students. You can also apply for PhD (almost guaranteed assistance) and quit with a master after the first two years of course work if you don't want to finish it.

rdmedranoo

Star Member
Aug 4, 2014
vdang said:
3) Yes, there are numerous scholarships available. Most of the schools you listed should have scholarships. You can contact the school for more information or check their website.

4) I would stick with better schools like UBC, U of Calgary, U Torronto, or McGills. There's also SFU that's pretty good for business, especially economics. UBC should be top for econ.

5) When you do your master, tuition usually doesn't matter much. Find the school with good reputation and funding. UBC should be a pretty good one for the region. Usually, grants and TA, RA positions are saved for PhD students. You can also apply for PhD (almost guaranteed assistance) and quit with a master after the first two years of course work if you don't want to finish it.
Dear vdang,

1) I was looking at Queen's Business School, and they mentioned this: "Our MSc students receive generous funding of $14,000." Honestly i am not pretty sure what they mean by that... can you tell me please what could they mean?

2) Are you saying me in point 4 that UBC is the lowest fee for a Msc??

3) What is SFU??

4) Does the Master of Science degree also have the same job and immigration benefits?? I mean after concluding it I might be able to apply for a PGWP and the for a PR???

5) How can i study and work off-campus with out violating my study permit conditions? I saw a post here in the forum of a guy that studied part time and the government denied his PGWP??

Thank you for your great help and advises!

Ryan1981

Jul 27, 2014
MBA's in Canada are expensive but no doubt your ROI is much more after graduation. The colleges offer Post Graduate Diplomas and the ROI's are accordingly. And, it does matter from which university you would do your MBA from. If you are going for high ranking universities, its always best. Memorial University, no doubt is a good one.

In the colleges for Post Graduate Diplomas, Northern Lights College is the cheapest of all and Fort St. John carries immense job opportunities. Being a zero percent unemployment area, students find it very easy to fund their studies themselves. Rather than banking upon my information, you google it your self and see how booming the economy is.

Let me know if you need more information.

Arianne*

Jul 29, 2014
I have to agree with the previous posters who recommended applying for the brand name MBAs. Although the good universities have a much higher "sticker price", a degree from one of them opens many more doors.

Furthermore, don't concentrate only on the tuition costs that you find listed on the university websites. As you've already found out for Queen's, many schools offer various types of funding.

Once you've decided whether you're more interested in an MBA or an MSc, you should write the GMAT or GRE and make sure to tick the box so that universities may contact you. I would highly recommend taking a few months to study for the exam using the various training books and practice tests.

Ryan1981

Jul 27, 2014
All depends on your personal situation, you are the best judge for your self. I agree with Arianne and others that if you can afford your first priority should be pursuing studies in a university.

rdmedranoo

Star Member
Aug 4, 2014
Ryan1981 said:
All depends on your personal situation, you are the best judge for your self. I agree with Arianne and others that if you can afford your first priority should be pursuing studies in a university.
Hello Ryan1981

I agree with you all, after vdang's comments I realize that it will be better to get a Master of Science, since right now I need a not too high tuition costs, and i found a really interesting Msc program at UBC besides it seems that UBC has a great price for Msc, its around $7,000 and I am also able to apply for a scholarship or I will look foward to a RA OR TA to help myself with the costs, but i will also like to gain work eperience so once completed my program be able to apply to a PGWP and if everything goes correctly try then to apply to a PR.

Another important point is that I still don't get the mail idea of what is funding in Canadian Universities? And I guess its better to attend to a University than a college correct?

Regards,

vdang

Star Member
Oct 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-05-2014
Doc's Request.
n/a
Nomination.....
Dec 2013
AOR Received.
17-07-14
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
Jan-ish
Med's Request
17-07-14
Med's Done....
22-07-14
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
07-04-15
VISA ISSUED...
20-04-15
LANDED..........
25-04-15
rdmedranoo said:
Hello Ryan1981

I agree with you all, after vdang's comments I realize that it will be better to get a Master of Science, since right now I need a not too high tuition costs, and i found a really interesting Msc program at UBC besides it seems that UBC has a great price for Msc, its around $7,000 and I am also able to apply for a scholarship or I will look foward to a RA OR TA to help myself with the costs, but i will also like to gain work eperience so once completed my program be able to apply to a PGWP and if everything goes correctly try then to apply to a PR.

Another important point is that I still don't get the mail idea of what is funding in Canadian Universities? And I guess its better to attend to a University than a college correct?

Regards,
:D Glad I could help. Once you're done with your master, the chances for you to get PR is fairly high. Check out this program: http://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate/About-the-BC-PNP/Skills-Immigration/International-Graduates.aspx
Best of luck