+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need Advice on Applying for PR through CEC

saravanan_B

Jun 18, 2014
Hello Everyone,

Here is my situation. I am on a post graduate work permit right now and I have been working full time for about six months. However my PGWP comes to an end on July 2019. So is it better to get 6 more months of experience and apply via CEC or apply right now (as of now I have about about 450 points). I am quite concerned about having just one year at hand if I choose to go the CEC route, or is there no real basis for my concern.

Please share your thoughts and opinion.

saravanan_B

Jun 18, 2014
Oka
You can apply no. Even if you apply 6 months from now there is no basis to be concerned.
Okay, I know that CEC is a good option, but it has never been clear to me why? Is it because the application that qualify for CEC are processed differently or something?

gowthamp

Jun 28, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Oka

Okay, I know that CEC is a good option, but it has never been clear to me why? Is it because the application that qualify for CEC are processed differently or something?
1. In past CEC was much faster compared to other streams.
2. No need to show Proof of Funds for CEC stream, where as in FSW need to show POF.

Reactions: saravanan_B

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hello Everyone,

Here is my situation. I am on a post graduate work permit right now and I have been working full time for about six months. However my PGWP comes to an end on July 2019. So is it better to get 6 more months of experience and apply via CEC or apply right now (as of now I have about about 450 points). I am quite concerned about having just one year at hand if I choose to go the CEC route, or is there no real basis for my concern.
I'm not sure if the others know something I don't based on other posts, but you need a MINIMUM of 1 year of Canadian experience (full-time or part-time equivalent) before you can apply through the CEC program. Based on what you wrote, you are not yet eligible. It is not "better" but mandatory to get 6 months more experience.

If you have foreign work experience as well (which I suspect given your points), you might be eligble now for FSW.

Either way, you have plenty of time on your PGWP to qualify and apply.

Reactions: saravanan_B

saravanan_B

Jun 18, 2014
I'm not sure if the others know something I don't based on other posts, but you need a MINIMUM of 1 year of Canadian experience (full-time or part-time equivalent) before you can apply through the CEC program. Based on what you wrote, you are not yet eligible. It is not "better" but mandatory to get 6 months more experience.

If you have foreign work experience as well (which I suspect given your points), you might be eligble now for FSW.

Either way, you have plenty of time on your PGWP to qualify and apply.
Yes, I am aware that I need atleast 1 year of work experience in Canada to qualify for CEC. I was trying to ask, if I should gain 6 more months of experience and apply for EE under CEC or apply for EE right now (without CEC).

As mentioned in the original post, I was concerned about having just one year left on the PGWP if I decide to fulfill the conditions for CEC.

Edited for clarity.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Yes, I am aware that I need atleast 1 year of work experience in Canada to qualify for CEC. I was trying to ask, if I should gain 6 more months of experience and apply for EE under CEC or apply for EE right now (without CEC).
EE is not a program - do you mean, apply for FSW? You can do that if you are eligible. Choice is yours. As gowthamp noted above, you have to show proof of funds if you go that route; that is one barrier for some in applying for FSW; another potential barrier is being able to obtain the documentation of your foreign work experience - if you can do that, then you could possibly be a PR at the end of 6 months, instead of just starting to apply to apply under CEC : )

saravanan_B

Jun 18, 2014
EE is not a program - do you mean, apply for FSW? You can do that if you are eligible. Choice is yours. As gowthamp noted above, you have to show proof of funds if you go that route; that is one barrier for some in applying for FSW; another potential barrier is being able to obtain the documentation of your foreign work experience - if you can do that, then you could possibly be a PR at the end of 6 months, instead of just starting to apply to apply under CEC : )
My foreign work experience is non existent, so nothing I can do about that. And showing POF should not be too difficult, if I start saving my salary and get some help from friends and family.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
My foreign work experience is non existent, so nothing I can do about that. And showing POF should not be too difficult, if I start saving my salary and get some help from friends and family.
So, I am mystified - you do not qualify for FSW, you do not qualify for CEC - on what basis do you think you are currently eligible? Also, there must be an error in the way you calculated your CRS score...

Points are not enough. You have to qualify for a program, first. Your profile won't be accepted into the pool unless you do. CRS points are secondary.

Sounds like you will have to wait 6 months... Good news is, you only have to work another 6 months to be eligible (assuming you are working under a skilled NOC).

saravanan_B

Jun 18, 2014
So, I am mystified - you do not qualify for FSW, you do not qualify for CEC - on what basis do you think you are currently eligible? Also, there must be an error in the way you calculated your CRS score...

Points are not enough. You have to qualify for a program, first. Your profile won't be accepted into the pool unless you do. CRS points are secondary.

Sounds like you will have to wait 6 months... Good news is, you only have to work another 6 months to be eligible (assuming you are working under a skilled NOC).
This is hearsay from my friends, but it seems there have been cases where applicants were able to get into the EE pool without experience since they have a degree from a Canadian university and good IELTS scores. I assume they had to show POF.

Once again, this is hearsay I cannot confirm its validity.

indiana23

Nov 15, 2017

gowthamp

Jun 28, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is hearsay from my friends, but it seems there have been cases where applicants were able to get into the EE pool without experience since they have a degree from a Canadian university and good IELTS scores. I assume they had to show POF.

Once again, this is hearsay I cannot confirm its validity.
Nope.
At least 1 year experience is one of the requirements to create EE profile.
You can check "https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/become-candidate/eligibility.html" the requirements for EE profile.

saravanan_B

Jun 18, 2014
Nope.
At least 1 year experience is one of the requirements to create EE profile.
You can check "https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/become-candidate/eligibility.html" the requirements for EE profile.
Firstly, congratulations. It is uplifting to hear about your success.

Second, thanks for the clarification. As all of you have suggested, I will acquire 6 more months of work experience and take the relatively safe CEC route.

indiana23

Nov 15, 2017
Firstly, congratulations. It is uplifting to hear about your success.

Second, thanks for the clarification. As all of you have suggested, I will acquire 6 more months of work experience and take the relatively safe CEC route.
Don't worry you have enough time to apply. Just start collecting documents and writing IELTS from the 4th or 5th month (around april or may) so that it will be easy for you to apply. All the best.