+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

**NEED ADVICE! Newborn Moving to CAN from US!

DL2017

Dec 26, 2017
Hello all,

I'm not sure if this topic should be in this category but I thought I would try anyways.

My wife (CAN citizen) and I (US citizen, now PR card holder..yay me!) are expecting our baby girl to be born in December 2019. We plan to move and settle in Vancouver around February or March of 2020.

Once our baby girl is born, we are going to apply for proof of citizenship since my wife is Canadian born. Additionally, we are going to apply for a Canadian passport at the same time. Note: we are applying from Outside of CAN.

Along with that, we plan to apply for a US passport since she will have dual citizenship (CAN & US).

My question is, can my newborn baby girl travel to Vancouver with no intention of returning to the US with just a US passport all while the CAN proof of citizenship and passport is still pending????

Off topic question: How will health insurance work for my baby girl in Vancouver, BC? Will she have health insurance right away??

Kind regards

luckyrabbit13

Apr 26, 2019
The baby will NOT have health coverage right away — none of you will, because the province has a three-month residency requirement before coverage kicks in. You’ll want to purchase travel insurance for her (and yourselves). I believe she’ll be covered after the three-month wait period, though.

DL2017

Dec 26, 2017
The baby will NOT have health coverage right away — none of you will, because the province has a three-month residency requirement before coverage kicks in. You’ll want to purchase travel insurance for her (and yourselves). I believe she’ll be covered after the three-month wait period, though.
Could I purchase private insurance for baby girl during that 3 month period?

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017

luckyrabbit13

Apr 26, 2019
Yes, absolutely. There are many plans/providers, and that’s what we did when moving— I can’t specifically recommend one for kids, though.

DL2017

Dec 26, 2017
Probably.

You need to look at the various 'gap medical insurance' providers to fully answer that, the plans they offer and the costs. We paid around $CAD650 each for 3 months gap insurance a couple of years back. A good selection here:

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Medical_Insurance-Canada
Thank you. Any information on this question "can my newborn baby girl travel to Vancouver with no intention of returning to the US with just a US passport all while the CAN proof of citizenship and passport is still pending????"

DL2017

Dec 26, 2017
Yes, absolutely. There are many plans/providers, and that’s what we did when moving— I can’t specifically recommend one for kids, though.
Thank you. Any ideas about this question "can my newborn baby girl travel to Vancouver with no intention of returning to the US with just a US passport all while the CAN proof of citizenship and passport is still pending????"

Luthien

Star Member
Jul 25, 2018
AOR Received.
23-05-2019
We applied for proof of citizenship in February and got it in the beginning of May. It was a pretty fast process so maybe you would even be able to get it before your move especially if you already fill out the forms and get as much done as possible before baby arrives.
Also I think that since your wife is Canadian maybe it is enough to show them a birth certificate that shows that one parent is Canadian and then bring the receipt of payment for the proof of citizenship along with you. Or if you already have it at that point provide them with the email you get when they start processing.
I am wondering if they will even ask whether or not you plan on returning to the US. I guess you would bring all your belongings at that point so it will be obvious?
Maybe you can call IRCC or the embassy in the US you'd send the application to. I called the embassy here because I had a question about the proof of citizenship application and they were very nice and helpful.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello all,

I'm not sure if this topic should be in this category but I thought I would try anyways.

My wife (CAN citizen) and I (US citizen, now PR card holder..yay me!) are expecting our baby girl to be born in December 2019. We plan to move and settle in Vancouver around February or March of 2020.

Once our baby girl is born, we are going to apply for proof of citizenship since my wife is Canadian born. Additionally, we are going to apply for a Canadian passport at the same time. Note: we are applying from Outside of CAN.

Along with that, we plan to apply for a US passport since she will have dual citizenship (CAN & US).

My question is, can my newborn baby girl travel to Vancouver with no intention of returning to the US with just a US passport all while the CAN proof of citizenship and passport is still pending????

Off topic question: How will health insurance work for my baby girl in Vancouver, BC? Will she have health insurance right away??

Kind regards
Hi

She can enter on her US passport.

However, I suggest that when you apply for the Certificate of Citizenship, you apply concurrently for a limited validity Canadian passport. The passport can be issued within weeks or even days of submission if you have proof of imminent travel. With the passport, you will have proof of Canadian citizenship for her, which is required to get her provincial health coverage. This will prevent any delay in getting her coverage as soon as the wait period up.

Also, the wait period is 2 months plus the balance of the month you arrive, i.e. if you return Feb 1st, you qualify May 1st and if you return Feb 28th, you still qualify May 1st.