+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need a new visa, but how to cancel the existing one? (International student from Hungary)

Jun 11, 2019
Hello,

The issue I have is that I traveled to Canada with a study permit in Aug 2018, and the paper is valid until April 2020. However, I left Canada, because I found another school in Vancouver, which offered me a similar program fully online, but with the chance to spend the last term in Vancouver, on their campus. This option was 3 times cheaper, so I left the country.
Now, it's time to apply for another visa, because I would like to return to Vancouver in October for the last semester of the program. However, I don't know if the previous visa would cause any complications in this case, and that's why I'm posing my question here. Should I cancel it, and if positive, how can I do it? I've already sent a message to CIC around Christmas, but no response has arrived into my mailbox.
This is extremely important to me, because spending the last term on the school's campus just cannot be compared to learning online. I put everything on this opportunity; I have the letter of acceptance, the financial requirements, passport, everything.
Please, let me know about this. Thank you very much for your response in advance! The answer is extremely appreciated!

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
You should just apply again, study permits normally becomei after 90 days of stopping school and there is no real cancellation procedure.

Which school is this? Is it a DLI and everything? It sounds like it would be tough to get a study permit for an optional 1 semester but I have no experience in this.

Jun 11, 2019
You should just apply again, study permits normally becomei after 90 days of stopping school and there is no real cancellation procedure.

Which school is this? Is it a DLI and everything? It sounds like it would be tough to get a study permit for an optional 1 semester but I have no experience in this.
That is great news then, thank you bongoman! The school is ThinkTank Training center, and yes, they are a DLI. They have a 16 months long online program with a mentorship being the last term. All online students could apply for an on-campus mentorship, but only those with the best portfolio would get the chance. Yeah, I guess it will be tricky to get the study visa, but when I was there, at their campus, all the international students were there with a study permit. So I should get it too, I assume.

ankush0177

Star Member
Nov 8, 2017
Jammu
Category........
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Hello,

The issue I have is that I traveled to Canada with a study permit in Aug 2018, and the paper is valid until April 2020. However, I left Canada, because I found another school in Vancouver, which offered me a similar program fully online, but with the chance to spend the last term in Vancouver, on their campus. This option was 3 times cheaper, so I left the country.
Now, it's time to apply for another visa, because I would like to return to Vancouver in October for the last semester of the program. However, I don't know if the previous visa would cause any complications in this case, and that's why I'm posing my question here. Should I cancel it, and if positive, how can I do it? I've already sent a message to CIC around Christmas, but no response has arrived into my mailbox.
This is extremely important to me, because spending the last term on the school's campus just cannot be compared to learning online. I put everything on this opportunity; I have the letter of acceptance, the financial requirements, passport, everything.
Please, let me know about this. Thank you very much for your response in advance! The answer is extremely appreciated!
are you going to apply for a new SP as I'm in also a same situation as yours? my SP and TRV is also valid till 2020 but I'm back in India and I withdrew from college in Jan and now want to go to a bew one in Sept. My consultant says that I'm good to travel with the existing one.

Jun 11, 2019
Hey, thanks for the reply! My situation is completely the same, I traveled to Canada with a study permit which is valid until April 2020, but I withdraw from school in late September 2018. The new school, however, told me that the existing visa might not be okay, because those can get canceled as the time passes. Plus, study permits are attached to the school, and they have the name of the institution written on them. Of course, you can change it in the meantime, but since I've left the country almost a year ago, I don't really know what my options are in this case.
Thank you very much though for your response, and I'd be interested in what your consultant would say in regards to my case.

ankush0177

Star Member
Nov 8, 2017
Jammu
Category........
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Hey, thanks for the reply! My situation is completely the same, I traveled to Canada with a study permit which is valid until April 2020, but I withdraw from school in late September 2018. The new school, however, told me that the existing visa might not be okay, because those can get canceled as the time passes. Plus, study permits are attached to the school, and they have the name of the institution written on them. Of course, you can change it in the meantime, but since I've left the country almost a year ago, I don't really know what my options are in this case.
Thank you very much though for your response, and I'd be interested in what your consultant would say in regards to my case.
well, I read somewhere that the study permit becomes invalid if the previous school informs CIC that the student has withdrawn from the course. But it isn't mentioned anywhere on the CIC website. All we should be concerned about is if we are eligible to enter Canada or not. Because if we are eligible, then we can get the TRV as well the Study Permit extended while in Canada and the new permit will have the name of the new college. So, it's all about what our status is right now in Canada. Has our study permit been cancelled or it still stands valid. And I really don't know where to get this checked from.I e-mailed the High Commission but didn't get an appropriate response. I've now sent a web form. So, I'll just wait and see if they reply. Your case is same as mine. So please stay in touch and let's see what legal options we have.

Jun 11, 2019
Hey, thanks again! I've heard the same about the visa becoming invalid only if CIC has been informed about the student had left the school. I've called the school which I had left, but they told me they have no idea about me having been reported or not. They absolutely don't care about any visa issues, that's something which is completely the students' responsibility. So I guess, I haven't been reported then...? I have no clue.
But yeah, stay in touch and let's find out what's going on! Thank you very much for your help! I really appreciate it! :)

ankush0177

Star Member
Nov 8, 2017
Jammu
Category........
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Hey, thanks again! I've heard the same about the visa becoming invalid only if CIC has been informed about the student had left the school. I've called the school which I had left, but they told me they have no idea about me having been reported or not. They absolutely don't care about any visa issues, that's something which is completely the students' responsibility. So I guess, I haven't been reported then...? I have no clue.
But yeah, stay in touch and let's find out what's going on! Thank you very much for your help! I really appreciate it! :)
Well,brother. I think you should try calling the High Commission of Canada in your country and get things checked. In most of the cases,they don't report. But still, it's a risky situation and none of us wants to be sent back from Canada as soon as we land. So it'd be great if we can get things checked already and below is what the High Commission replied to my query:

My email:
Hello Sir/Madam.Due to unavoidable circumstances,I had to come back to India from Canada right after landing in Canada in December.My study visa is valid till September 2020 and I,now,want to start again as soon as possible in a new college in Canada.So,I wanted to know how to proceed.Do I need to apply for a new study visa or I can land in Canada with the same visa and get it extended while in Canada?

Their reply:
Good Day,
Thank you for your recent inquiry to the Migration Section.
If your Study Permit is still valid but your re-entry temporary resident visa (TRV) for Canada has expired, you may apply for a single- or multiple-entry TRV. A multiple-entry TRV will normally be issued with the same validity as your Study Permit, or your passport, whichever expires earlier. Please be sure to enclose a copy of your valid Study Permit with your TRV application.

The thing is how would be know if it's still valid.

Jun 11, 2019
Well,brother. I think you should try calling the High Commission of Canada in your country and get things checked. In most of the cases,they don't report. But still, it's a risky situation and none of us wants to be sent back from Canada as soon as we land. So it'd be great if we can get things checked already and below is what the High Commission replied to my query:

My email:
Hello Sir/Madam.Due to unavoidable circumstances,I had to come back to India from Canada right after landing in Canada in December.My study visa is valid till September 2020 and I,now,want to start again as soon as possible in a new college in Canada.So,I wanted to know how to proceed.Do I need to apply for a new study visa or I can land in Canada with the same visa and get it extended while in Canada?

Their reply:
Good Day,
Thank you for your recent inquiry to the Migration Section.
If your Study Permit is still valid but your re-entry temporary resident visa (TRV) for Canada has expired, you may apply for a single- or multiple-entry TRV. A multiple-entry TRV will normally be issued with the same validity as your Study Permit, or your passport, whichever expires earlier. Please be sure to enclose a copy of your valid Study Permit with your TRV application.

The thing is how would be know if it's still valid.
Thanks for the info! I tried to link my existing visa several times though, but the system couldn't find it. I guess it's gone then...? Btw, how did you contact the High Commission of Canada? I haven't found any option to that
Thanks in advance!

ankush0177

Star Member
Nov 8, 2017
Jammu
Category........
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Thanks for the info! I tried to link my existing visa several times though, but the system couldn't find it. I guess it's gone then...? Btw, how did you contact the High Commission of Canada? I haven't found any option to that
Thanks in advance!
Well bro,I found their email on the website.Just search for it on Google and you'll find it.what do you mean linking existing visa bro?

Jun 11, 2019
Well bro,I found their email on the website.Just search for it on Google and you'll find it.what do you mean linking existing visa bro?
Thanks! I found a contact option and I sent an inquiry.
Well, if you have an account at CIC, then you can link an existing application to your account. If you don't have an account, then I suggest you create one, and then try to find your visa. When I changed the learning institution back in August, I could've easily found my visa, but now I can't. And that's why I assume that it's been canceled.

ankush0177

Star Member
Nov 8, 2017
Jammu
Category........
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Thanks! I found a contact option and I sent an inquiry.
Well, if you have an account at CIC, then you can link an existing application to your account. If you don't have an account, then I suggest you create one, and then try to find your visa. When I changed the learning institution back in August, I could've easily found my visa, but now I can't. And that's why I assume that it's been canceled.
well my application for Study Permit was an online one and I even accessed that account and didn't see anything wrong or any update.I even changed the DLI there with the DLI of the new institution. Does that mean my SP is still valid? and do you think CIC notifies if they cancel the SP or the visa?

Jun 11, 2019
well my application for Study Permit was an online one and I even accessed that account and didn't see anything wrong or any update.I even changed the DLI there with the DLI of the new institution. Does that mean my SP is still valid? and do you think CIC notifies if they cancel the SP or the visa?
I also changed DLI once, so that doesn't affect the validity of your visa at all, IMO. That only means that you left your school and enrolled in another one. So it's just an update of such. About the notification of the cancellation, I have no idea. I didn't receive anything at all, and now I cannot find my application, which I could have easily found earlier. That allows me to assume that my old visa has been canceled, but no notification har arrived about it so far. That's all my experience, hope it somewhat answers your questions.

ankush0177

Star Member
Nov 8, 2017
Jammu
Category........
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
I also changed DLI once, so that doesn't affect the validity of your visa at all, IMO. That only means that you left your school and enrolled in another one. So it's just an update of such. About the notification of the cancellation, I have no idea. I didn't receive anything at all, and now I cannot find my application, which I could have easily found earlier. That allows me to assume that my old visa has been canceled, but no notification har arrived about it so far. That's all my experience, hope it somewhat answers your questions.
oooh.let's see cuz none of us is sure.I actually have asked one of my friends in Canada to check with IRCC if my Study Permit's still valid.He'll call them in the morning and I'll update once I get to know anything

Jun 11, 2019
oooh.let's see cuz none of us is sure.I actually have asked one of my friends in Canada to check with IRCC if my Study Permit's still valid.He'll call them in the morning and I'll update once I get to know anything
Alirght! Let's see what's going on! Thanks for keeping me updated! :)