+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Necessity of PR Card as American?

Feb 20, 2022
Hello,
I just received my PR (and COPR though not my PR Card of course). Naturally, I had planned a quick visit back to the States to visit family in about a week and a half. As far as I understand it, the PRTD is required for those with a PR but no PR card because receipt of PR invalidates any eTa that you have. However, as an American I wouldn't need an eta to get back in, so there's no reason for the commercial carriers to not let me board, and immigration officials, similar to a land crossing, would be able to verify my using my CoPR.

Am I right in this understanding? It all seems a bit muddled but just trying not to have to cancel my travel plans

Thanks so much!

penewpr

Jan 10, 2022
Hi,

@salutationstoyou! - were you able to travel to Canada without a PR card? Did you travel by plane or land?

We are in a similar dilemma as my American partner doesn't have a PR card or a PRTD but needs to travel back to Canada by plane.

Thanks!

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
In theory, US citizens can just fly to Canada, and showing the airlines the US passports should suffice (again, in theory).

As PR US citizens, you should not need PR cards or PRTD in order to board a flight to Canada, and non-PRs US citizens don't need eTAs either.

However, once in Canada, it may be a challenge in some provinces to apply for certain services without PR cards.

JonnyBoy15

Oct 14, 2020
Hi,

@salutationstoyou! - were you able to travel to Canada without a PR card? Did you travel by plane or land?

We are in a similar dilemma as my American partner doesn't have a PR card or a PRTD but needs to travel back to Canada by plane.

Thanks!
I am in a similar situation as a US who has landed and is waiting for his PC card. I will be traveling together back from the US with Canadian spouse via plane this month and then next month from Europe by myself.

Would you be able to let us know how your American partner fares coming back to Canada without his PR card?

penewpr

Jan 10, 2022
@JonnyBoy15 - Actually we will be travelling in July so I think you guys will get there before us....

Overall, people on this forum seem to be very confident that Americans have no problems travelling without a PR card/PRTD on commercial transport so I think we should all be fine. Good luck!

JonnyBoy15

Oct 14, 2020
@penewpr - Thank you for the quick reply. So good to hear. We were wondering whether we need to change all of our plans as a result of what I first understood. As you say, there has been no US citizen who has landed that I have found here or outside this forum that have had problems traveling without a PR card/PRTD.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
@penewpr - Thank you for the quick reply. So good to hear. We were wondering whether we need to change all of our plans as a result of what I first understood. As you say, there has been no US citizen who has landed that I have found here or outside this forum that have had problems traveling without a PR card/PRTD.
My husband (US citizen) had issues with international travel. We were flying back to Canada from South Korea and were at Incheon. He misplaced his PR card in his backpack. He had is US passport of course. However they were going to refuse him boarding since his journey ended in Canada, this was the return leg, he had no onward flight or evidence of other travel plan to the US and he had no visa that showed he was legally allowed to live in Canada. He told them he was a PR and they said they needed to see a valid PR card to let him board. Fortunately he found his PR card and the problem was solved.

IMO you should never have problems traveling from the US.

Last edited:
Reactions: armoured

JonnyBoy15

Oct 14, 2020
Thank you, @scylla, for sharing your experience. It is interesting that I have been traveling to Canada from Europe for years now on one way tickets (both with my Canadian family and also without) and have never been hassled by the airline. Strange that they gave your husband such problems. I will have my signed COPR with me just in case...as well as a planned itinerary of other trips to come.

Reactions: scylla

penewpr

Jan 10, 2022
Thanks @scylla and @JonnyBoy15 - very useful to know your experiences. I think there is unfortunately a lot of variability exercised by different airlines and sometimes even agents... so hard to predict which way things may go.

JonnyBoy15

Oct 14, 2020
I think the biggest change/issue is the ArriveCan. There we need to indicate whether we are a resident or visiting. Would it be OK just to indicate on the ArriveCan that we are visiting rather than residence? This would make things simple, but perhaps would be an issue with the CAD border officers.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think the biggest change/issue is the ArriveCan. There we need to indicate whether we are a resident or visiting. Would it be OK just to indicate on the ArriveCan that we are visiting rather than residence? This would make things simple, but perhaps would be an issue with the CAD border officers.
Making things simple, in this case, would be misrepresentation, because you ARE a PR of Canada...even without having received the PR Card, right?

However, not having a PR card when you re-enter Canada (by air) could be an issue with the CBSA officer that you encounter at the Canadian airport, since a valid PR card, along with a U.S. passport would normally be required.

Unless things have changed, the COPR was never meant to allow a PR to enter/re-enter Canada at any PoE, other than land borders.

Having said that...please wait for others to confirm or dismiss as I've not been active around here (again) until very recently.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
COPR plus US passport at any port of entry (land or air) should be fine. Unlikely the CBSA officers would 'hold it against you.'

Should also be fine getting on a plane to Canada with US passport and without PR card. Still, best to check with airline.

JonnyBoy15

Oct 14, 2020
Just this week I was flying back from Europe and at the airport before boarding, we needed to show our ArriveCan, our immunization, etc.. Someone ahead of me in line was asked by the airline service person to show his PR as he was a non-Canadian citizen but a permanent resident.

This is where things could get sticky. These airline workers don't understand the nuances of the situation. As I was a visitor, I didn't need to show my PR card. However, on this past trip I officially immigrated and now my status has changed. I am anticipating possibly having an issue with the airline next month when I travel back from a trip to Scotland.

Thank you, Armoured, for the suggestion to check with the airline. I will do it and let you know what they say.