+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Naturalized refugee inquiry

amazigh-agnostic

Star Member
Nov 6, 2020
Hello as everyone knows you cant use/renew your passport when being a refugee. My question is after you receive citizenship after being a refugee. Could you renew passport or national id of your country of origin . I wonder if that would affect your citizenship
Thanks best regards

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello as everyone knows you cant use/renew your passport when being a refugee. My question is after you receive citizenship after being a refugee. Could you renew passport or national id of your country of origin . I wonder if that would affect your citizenship
Thanks best regards
No you should not renew your home country passport. You should only be using your Canadian passport. The whole point is that you can return to your home country after citizenship because you will now be considered a Canadian citizen and can travel under the Canadian passport and that should give you a level of protection that you previously wouldn’t have.

amazigh-agnostic

Star Member
Nov 6, 2020
No you should not renew your home country passport. You should only be using your Canadian passport. The whole point is that you can return to your home country after citizenship because you will now be considered a Canadian citizen and can travel under the Canadian passport and that should give you a level of protection that you previously wouldn’t have.
Thanks your input is very appreciated. I am asking because once you land in my country of origin they always ask for your national id in order to go thru customs and access certain services such as applying for your driver license etc

foodie69

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2015
Thanks your input is very appreciated. I am asking because once you land in my country of origin they always ask for your national id in order to go thru customs and access certain services such as applying for your driver license etc
Why would you want to return to the country you fled from in the first place?
Wasn't that bad after all then..

Reactions: YVR123