+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

naturalized Canadian, getting married in Hongkong

tekla oh

Mar 9, 2016
tekla oh said:
Thank you canuck_in_uk. Sometimes, it can get confusing especially if you talk to different groups e.g. immigration consultant, Immigration Office, lawyers in Canada. They all want you to spend the money just to be on the safe side. How I wish they can tell me that there is a way around it. At least, coming from them makes it official, and I can go after them if something happens. :)
i saw a very similar scenario to mine here, but the post was back in 2013. I'm curious to know if they got approved. I tried to contact the person, but no reply yet. i wonder how they panned out ....

jag21

Nov 6, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-10-2015
Doc's Request.
AOM/PCC 28-03-2016 Transcript 06-09-2016
AOR Received.
4-12-2015 Aor2 18-01-2016
File Transfer...
18-01-2016 ιp вgc 02-01-2017
Med's Done....
17-08-2015 Remed 22-12-2016
Passport Req..
22-02-2017
tekla oh said:
thank you canuck_in_uk. I see your point. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one having this dilemma. I guess what I want to do, but hesitant to do it due to financial restraints is that I'm thinking of applying for Recognition of Foreign Divorce in the Philippines. The cost is enormous! I'm just trying to plan now so that when the time comes, it is smooth during the sponsorship process.

Did you experience this canuck_in_uk?
There is no point of applying recognition of foreign divorce because you are already canadian. People who applying for recognition are the people that still pilipino and they want to use their married name to their passport. If you are thinking that it will cause problem with your application Im sure it will not. Dont be confuse about Philippine law and Canda law remember that you are sponsoring your partner to come in canada so canada law will apply.

tekla oh

Mar 9, 2016
jag21 said:
There is no point of applying recognition of foreign divorce because you are already canadian. People who applying for recognition are the people that still pilipino and they want to use their married name to their passport. If you are thinking that it will cause problem with your application Im sure it will not. Dont be confuse about Philippine law and Canda law remember that you are sponsoring your partner to come in canada so canada law will apply.
Thank you jag21. I appreciate sharing your thoughts. So, do you know if we are required to advise the NSO of our marriage due to the fact that my bf is a Filipino?

jag21

Nov 6, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-10-2015
Doc's Request.
AOM/PCC 28-03-2016 Transcript 06-09-2016
AOR Received.
4-12-2015 Aor2 18-01-2016
File Transfer...
18-01-2016 ιp вgc 02-01-2017
Med's Done....
17-08-2015 Remed 22-12-2016
Passport Req..
22-02-2017
tekla oh said:
Thank you jag21. I appreciate sharing your thoughts. So, do you know if we are required to advise the NSO of our marriage due to the fact that my bf is a Filipino?
Its not required to advise NSO because the marriage happened in foreign country.

glynfranz

Feb 24, 2012
Hi Tekla Oh, I am in the same situation. We are also planning to get married in HK. I’m also wondering if if we need to register in PCG Hong Kong after marriage in order to sponsor my husband to Canada? I cannot register because I’m still legally married in Pinas, but I’m Canadian now. Thank you!

Louman64

Sep 22, 2016
scarborough toronto
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
10-04-2019
Doc's Request.
No news yet
thank you all for the replies. I'm hoping someone can clarify for my sanity, please. :) I understand that my marriage in Hongkong will be honoured here in Canada, but does someone know if it is the immigration's requirement to register your marriage with NSO in the Philippines even though the marriage took place outside the Philippines due to the fact that the groom is a Filipino?
  • If you are submitting documentation for a birth, marriage or death which occurred a country other than the Philippines, and it has been registered with the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA): Submit the registration document issued by the PSA. Also submit a copy of the certificate issued by the country where the birth, marriage, or death occurred (if one was issued). Use the drop down tool to check the requirements for documents issued by that country.
  • If you are submitting documentation for a birth, marriage, or death which occurred in a country other than the Philippines, and it has not been registered with the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA): Submit a copy of the birth, marriage, or death certificate which was issued by the country where the birth, marriage, or death occurred. The original may be requested for verification. Use the drop down tool to check the requirements for documents issued by that country.

Lizcarl

Apr 29, 2019
Thank you canuck_in_uk. Sometimes, it can get confusing especially if you talk to different groups e.g. immigration consultant, Immigration Office, lawyers in Canada. They all want you to spend the money just to be on the safe side. How I wish they can tell me that there is a way around it. At least, coming from them makes it official, and I can go after them if something happens. :)[/QUOT

Hi! Just wondering what happened to your application? Do u mind give us an update? How did you go about the wedding in HongKong? And what steps did you do to apply for your spouse. We are on the same boat. It will greatly help me if you could share some insight about this. Thanks!

Beverlyn

Oct 1, 2019
Just wanted to ask, I'm naturalized Canadian citizen here in Canada, and I got divorced here in canada in 2015, my bf now is filipino and since divorce is not recognize in the Phil, we are planning to get married in Hongkong instead to avoid filing the expensive PETITION FOR RECOGNITION OF FOREIGN DIVORCE. Just wondering if this is possible and if ever manghingi ang Canadian Immigration ng NSO copy ng Marriage Certificate, lalabas po ba still yong previous marriage ko if ever magpakasal po kami sa HK? I'll appreciate any information you can share here.
Ok

Beverlyn

Oct 1, 2019
Hi Tekla Oh, I am in the same situation. We are also planning to get married in HK. I’m also wondering if if we need to register in PCG Hong Kong after marriage in order to sponsor my husband to Canada? I cannot register because I’m still legally married in Pinas, but I’m Canadian now. Thank you!

Hello , we have the same situation ... i wish wr can talk add me on fb ambev ewington

Angang85

Oct 16, 2019
Mam anu na po nangyari sa situation u?
Balak din po kasi namin magpakasal sa hk
Next year.thank u

Dindo1262

Aug 12, 2020
If you're a marrying a filipino you need to report your marriage to the Philippine consulate in Hong Kong in order for your marriage to be registered at PSA. When you sponsor your filipino husband to come to Canada, the immigration will require your husband to submit his CENOMAR and Report of Marriage and as well as your Marriage Certificate from Hong Kong.

glynfranz

Feb 24, 2012
If you're a marrying a filipino you need to report your marriage to the Philippine consulate in Hong Kong in order for your marriage to be registered at PSA. When you sponsor your filipino husband to come to Canada, the immigration will require your husband to submit his CENOMAR and Report of Marriage and as well as your Marriage Certificate from Hong Kong.
Hi Dindo1262, Report of Marriage will only apply to the Filipino spouse right? So me as Canadian citizen who is still married to my ex in Philippines when I was still Filipino, can still proceed to sponsor my new husband? Report of marriage is for him to declare that I’m his wife and I am Canadian sponsoring him so for as long as we will report it, I think my previous marriage will not matter anymore. I got divorced as Canadian long time ago.

Reactions: Dindo1262

Dindo1262

Aug 12, 2020
hi glynfranz, you're right about Report of Marriage (ROM). You and your Filipino spouse have to report your marriage in Hong Kong to the Philippine Consulate in order for your marriage to be recorded in PSA, and then secure a copy of this ROM from PSA at least a month after filing. When you sponsor your Filipino spouse, this ROM is part of the requirements to be submitted by your spouse, along with your Hong Kong Marriage Certificate. He also need a PSA copy of his CENOMAR. On your part, all you need is a copy of your divorced certificate, and your previous marriage doesn't matter anymore.