+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nationality shown on PR card (Applying for PR with dual citizenship)

suharry

Dec 5, 2019
Hi,

I am currently in the process of applying for PR (Express Entry, Canadian Experience Class), and I am a dual citizen of the US and Thailand.
If granted PR, I would like to have my PR card list my nationality as "Thailand," rather than "US," for personal reasons. My country of birth is the US, but I spent the majority of my life in the other country. I came to study and work in Canada as a US citizen.

Does anyone know if CIC allows PR applicants to choose which country you would like to have listed as your nationality on your PR card, if you have dual citizenship? (I'm assuming they don't list all countries of citizenship on the card, judging from the images I've found online.)

Or is it up to CIC to decide which country will be listed? If so, how do they decide which country takes preference over the other?

I'm concerned that due to the fact that I came to Canada on a student visa and work visa as a US citizen, CIC will automatically choose to list my citizenship on the PR card as "US," rather than Thailand.

I've tried calling CIC several times but I can't a hold of a representative.

Any input is appreciated.
Thank you!

Star Member
May 2, 2015
Hi,

I am currently in the process of applying for PR (Express Entry, Canadian Experience Class), and I am a dual citizen of the US and Thailand.
If granted PR, I would like to have my PR card list my nationality as "Thailand," rather than "US," for personal reasons. My country of birth is the US, but I spent the majority of my life in the other country. I came to study and work in Canada as a US citizen.

Does anyone know if CIC allows PR applicants to choose which country you would like to have listed as your nationality on your PR card, if you have dual citizenship? (I'm assuming they don't list all countries of citizenship on the card, judging from the images I've found online.)

Or is it up to CIC to decide which country will be listed? If so, how do they decide which country takes preference over the other?

I'm concerned that due to the fact that I came to Canada on a student visa and work visa as a US citizen, CIC will automatically choose to list my citizenship on the PR card as "US," rather than Thailand.

I've tried calling CIC several times but I can't a hold of a representative.

Any input is appreciated.
Thank you!
Well it all depends on what passport you hold and which one you used to apply. Which passport do you have and which one did you use in your application

suharry

Dec 5, 2019
Thank you for your reply!
I have passports for both countries. And I will be submitting copies of both passports when I submit my PR application, since they asked me to list all citizenships I have on the application form.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
I would submit a letter along with your application with this request in it. Since you are a citizen of both countries, IRCC should be amenable to your request. Ensure that you tell them that you have spent the majority of your life in Thailand.

Reactions: jes_ON