+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

National Nursing Assessment Centre NNAS

Hila

Feb 28, 2017
needscoffee said:
hi! how long before your advisory report from NNAS was released? what was your result? and what country you're from? I'm sorry I have lots of questions.. I just don't have any idea how the process here in Alberta..
thank you very much!
It took 3 months for me to receive the report; it was before new year and holidays, so they told me it's gonna take longer than 8 weeks.

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
needscoffee said:
I just don't have any idea how the process here in Alberta..
The NNAS process is the exact same across all provinces except Quebec. The fees, timing of the Advisory Report, and results of the Advisory Report do not differ based on which province you are hoping to apply to. The difference doesn't start until you have received your NNAS Advisory Report and then apply to CARNA. How they deal with "non-comparable" and "somewhat comparable" NNAS Advisory Reports seems to vary somewhat across provinces. In Ontario, non-comparable and somewhat comparable used to have to do the OSCE (IENCAP) exam. Now "somewhat comparable" is synonymous with "comparable" and they are no longer required to do the extra exam. They just move to a review of their current and past nursing work experience, as do those deemed "comparable" (there are very few deemed comparable). So licensing bodies in different provinces might deal with NNAS results differently (although not that differently), but the NNAS process itself, up until applying to the licensing body, is the same nationwide.

mk84

Star Member
Dec 17, 2014
india
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-12-2014
AOR Received.
27-04-2015
Med's Request
21-07-2015
Med's Done....
30-07-2015
Passport Req..
26-04-16
VISA ISSUED...
11-04-16
LANDED..........
07-2017
needscoffee said:
hi! how long before your advisory report from NNAS was released? what was your result? and what country you're from? I'm sorry I have lots of questions.. I just don't have any idea how the process here in Alberta..
thank you very much!
I received my report in the month of October and applied to CARNA, My advisory report was not comparable.I am from India, and regarding registration in Alberta the procedure is same as other provinces. You applied directly to CARNA once you receive your advisory report.

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
julies879 said:
Can someone walk me through the general steps of the process of transferring a BSN RN license from Washington state to British Columbia?
Yes, it's true that it takes a lot of time and money. It's not a license transfer, it's a brand new application for a license and does not take into consideration whether you have a license elsewhere or not.

General steps for your husband:

1) Apply to NNAS--this step is required for every province except Quebec--there is no way around it. It costs $650 USD to apply, plus you will have to pay whatever it costs to obtain copies of all transcripts, syllabi and other documents, and mail them in via courier. NNAS is not very clear about how the assessment is done and therefore it is often unclear to applicants what they need to request their nursing school to send in (note that documents must be sent from the school, signed, sealed, delivered. NNAS will not accept school documents sent in by the applicants themselves). The assessors at NNAS who will assess international nursing education against Canadian standards (who are Americans and not nurses by the way) go through your course syllabi looking for terminology that has been laid out as acceptable/comparable to Canadian nursing terminology. This is why it is very important that you request that your school send in the most detailed course syllabus available. The more the better. Make sure they clearly outline your clinical hours. It seems that this has been a problem for some.

2) Wait for NNAS Advisory Report to be issued. This takes much longer than stated on the website. The report will most likely say "somewhat comparable". There have been many US educated BSN's who received "non-comparable", but as of Sept 2016 there seems to have been a change of heart in some provinces around comparability and I think, although likely on the down-low, NNAS has been asked to lighten up a little. So it seems many US educated BSN's are getting "somewhat comparable" instead of "non-comparable".

3) Once his Advisory Report is issued, he will need to apply to CRNBC (there is a fee involved) and authorize NNAS to send his advisory report to CRNBC (also a smaller fee involved). CRNBC will advise hime of the next steps. I'm not sure what BC does with "somewhat comparable"--whether he will be asked to take a SEC/OSCE exam or what. If it is "non-comparable" he will most likely have to do some kind of exam. This will cost money of course and in most provinces the wait time to do the exam is horrible--there are many people waiting for a spot when a new exam date opens up. So he will need to register as soon as a date opens.

4) Wait for CNRBC to advise as to next steps. They will say that based on this test results he has met the education requirement, or they will ask for more information, or tell him to take courses. This varies from province to province.

5) Once all requirements are met (he won't have to do NCLEX-RN again), he can get licensed.

needscoffee

Star Member
Feb 17, 2017
Hila said:
It took 3 months for me to receive the report; it was before new year and holidays, so they told me it's gonna take longer than 8 weeks.
Hi. thank you for that idea. my papers in NNAS will be 3 months tomorrow. hopefully it will be a good result though.

needscoffee

Star Member
Feb 17, 2017
mk84 said:
I received my report in the month of October and applied to CARNA, My advisory report was not comparable.I am from India, and regarding registration in Alberta the procedure is same as other provinces. You applied directly to CARNA once you receive your advisory report.
Did the CARNA still consider the NNAS advisory report even its not comparable? your documents in CARNA is still in process now, right? so it's also a long wait in CARNA too before they will tell if your qualified?
thank you..

needscoffee

Star Member
Feb 17, 2017
RN_0001 said:
The fees, timing of the Advisory Report, and results of the Advisory Report do not differ based on which province you are hoping to apply to. The difference doesn't start until you have received your NNAS Advisory Report and then apply to CARNA. How they deal with "non-comparable" and "somewhat comparable" NNAS Advisory Reports seems to vary somewhat across provinces. In Ontario, non-comparable and somewhat comparable used to have to do the OSCE (IENCAP) exam. Now "somewhat comparable" is synonymous with "comparable" and they are no longer required to do the extra exam. They just move to a review of their current and past nursing work experience, as do those deemed "comparable" (there are very few deemed comparable). So licensing bodies in different provinces might deal with NNAS results differently (although not that differently), but the NNAS process itself, up until applying to the licensing body, is the same nationwide.
thank you for that information. I hope that CARNA will do the same consideration as in Ontario. how many months before the regulatory body in Ontario will tell if your qualified to practice as RN/LPN?
thank you.

Hila

Feb 28, 2017
Hila said:
You are welcome ! Good luck !
Though it was a shock when I received the "not comparable" report. I have a Master's in nursing and it was ICES-approved as comparable to Canadian curriculum.
To be honest , I was traumatized the way I didn't pursue the process for two months ??? :'(

needscoffee

Star Member
Feb 17, 2017
Hila said:
Though it was a shock when I received the "not comparable" report. I have a Master's in nursing and it was ICES-approved as comparable to Canadian curriculum.
To be honest , I was traumatized the way I didn't pursue the process for two months ??? :'(
what country you from? so you did not apply in CARNA?
i'm really curious how they come up with the result. hmmmm

needscoffee

Star Member
Feb 17, 2017
Hila said:
I am in BC and from Iran. I took the registration exam once before with the exact same documents ( before NNAS was launched-2009)
ah.. I thought NNAS just started around 2014.. are you pursuing RN or LPN?

BB_keina

Feb 27, 2014
Hello!

I just got my PR visa this month. I am having a dilemma on how to start.

I have questions:

1. I got my PR visa thru Quebec application. Since I can't understand French, I want to transfer to Toronto to live and work there as a nurse. Is this possible? or I will encounter problems when I apply Canadian citizenship?

2. Can I get NCLEX outside CANADA (Ontario)? If yes, how can I get ATT and eligibility number?

3. Do I need to get IELTS too? what type?

Kindly guide me.

Thanks.

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
needscoffee said:
...how many months before the regulatory body in Ontario will tell if your qualified to practice as RN/LPN?
thank you.
NNAS could take up to a year. Once you apply to CARNA or whatever licensing board, it's not too long before they tell you whether you have met the education requirement or not. 8-10 weeks? It's fairly easy for them because they just look at your NNAS Advisory Report.