+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

National Nursing Assessment Centre NNAS

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
SGtoCAD said:
Hi there thanks for the input but maybe i failed to mention that I applied for assessment as an LPN/RPN. Still waiting for an advisory report, it has been 4 months. I want to work in ontario and eventually upgrade my education at york uni where they have a degree course for IEN instead of doing it in my home country. Do you have any tips to share about working as a nurse in ontario?
Okay, yes, it is definitely different for LPN/RPN. Sorry I don't know much about the LPN/RPN process. It's amazing, some people get their advisory report within a few months of having it "ready for review" and others it's more like a year. York does have the bridge program however the wait list is very long and there are not very many spots her year. It will probably make more sense for you to enrol in an RN degree program if/when you decide to increase your education. But you'll have some time to decide that. I would say that while it is tough in larger cities to get nursing jobs, Ontarians really value diversity and are very welcoming. :D

SGtoCAD

Jan 27, 2017
RN_0001 said:
Okay, yes, it is definitely different for LPN/RPN. Sorry I don't know much about the LPN/RPN process. It's amazing, some people get their advisory report within a few months of having it "ready for review" and others it's more like a year. York does have the bridge program however the wait list is very long and there are not very many spots her year. It will probably make more sense for you to enrol in an RN degree program if/when you decide to increase your education. But you'll have some time to decide that. I would say that while it is tough in larger cities to get nursing jobs, Ontarians really value diversity and are very welcoming. :D

Thank u. Nice to know they are really welcoming. Long wait list huh? I heard there is like only 50 slots per intake which is really small. I guess I wouldnt really know of the situation unless in physically there to enquire about it. May i just ask though, if there is really a shortage of nurses in ontario, why is it difficult to get a nursing job there? Any light to shed on this question? :(

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
SGtoCAD said:
Thank u. Nice to know they are really welcoming. Long wait list huh? I heard there is like only 50 slots per intake which is really small. I guess I wouldnt really know of the situation unless in physically there to enquire about it. May i just ask though, if there is really a shortage of nurses in ontario, why is it difficult to get a nursing job there? Any light to shed on this question? :(
Yes 50 spots per year is about right. And the waitlist is already years long. Since NNAS came into play, more applicants are being seen as "non comparable" so more are required to do bridging program. Difficulty getting nursing job is because there are cut backs to staffing so not as many positions to fill. When someone retires they don't fill the position, they eliminate it.

SGtoCAD

Jan 27, 2017
RN_0001 said:
Yes 50 spots per year is about right. And the waitlist is already years long. Since NNAS came into play, more applicants are being seen as "non comparable" so more are required to do bridging program. Difficulty getting nursing job is because there are cut backs to staffing so not as many positions to fill. When someone retires they don't fill the position, they eliminate it.
Wow! Sounds like the nurses would be overworked then! Am i right?

iblessed

Mar 8, 2012
Legentellison said:
Hey im an international RN i submitted my application to NNAS they said it meets the requirements my english wavied because im migrating from jamaica...has anyone here migrated from the caribbean and went through the process what should i expect next

Congratulations my fellow country person.

iblessed

Mar 8, 2012
RN_0001 said:
The only applicants who are allowed to do the IENCAP are those who have nursing experience in the country they are licensed in. Applicants who were educated outside of Canada but have not worked as a nurse yet are unable to do the IENCAP. They must either gain nursing work experience at home before applying through NNAS or go back to school in Canada.

I can only speak for Ontario. Up until around September, almost all applicants who had nursing work experience and received "somewhat comparable" or "non-comparable" were asked to do the IENCAP. Since College of Nurses of Ontario is now starting to realize the NNAS does not do a good job of capturing applicants' skills and knowledge, they have begun treating "somewhat comparable" the same as "comparable" by not requiring those who were "somewhat comparable" to do the IENCAP. Although, this is on a case-by-case basis so they still can require it if they choose. They sent letters out to a bunch of applicants who were previously instructed to take the IENCAP and told them they no longer had to take it and would be refunded the $400 fee for the exam. Instead of the IENCAP, they asked them for documentation which outlines their current nursing role/job description. Since it is highly likely your result will be "non-comparable", count on having to take the IENCAP if you are wanting to settle/work in Ontario. You must come to Toronto, Ontario for the exam as it is only available at Touchstone Institute.

I applied for RN in Ontario in 2012 and was asked to do IENCAP in 2014 May i think and was then adviced that i needed to complete competencies. i am wondering with the changes that CNO is making if they would review my file or not.

iblessed

Mar 8, 2012
RN_0001 said:
Is there anyone here who applied via the NNAS process and has received their license? If so, which province did you get your license in? NNAS began in August 2014 and I'm interested in knowing how many have been licensed through that process. Regulatory bodies do not provide this information.

I wrote the RPN exam for Ontario last week and is waiting to get the result, i had a somewhat comparable from NNAS on the report but CNO said i was approved to write the exam. But i am still waiting to hear about my English Proficiency because CNO said the test i did was more than two years ago so i had my previous and current employer sent reference letters on my behalf pertaining to my command of the English language, even though i don't know any other language.

SGtoCAD

Jan 27, 2017
iblessed said:
I wrote the RPN exam for Ontario last week and is waiting to get the result, i had a somewhat comparable from NNAS on the report but CNO said i was approved to write the exam. But i am still waiting to hear about my English Proficiency because CNO said the test i did was more than two years ago so i had my previous and current employer sent reference letters on my behalf pertaining to my command of the English language, even though i don't know any other language.
did they allow u to retake ur english test again?

iblessed

Mar 8, 2012
SGtoCAD said:
did they allow u to retake ur english test again?

I am suppose to but, asked i my employers was to send reference letters on my behalf because that is one of the options available for the Language Proficiency.

mk84

Star Member
Dec 17, 2014
india
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-12-2014
AOR Received.
27-04-2015
Med's Request
21-07-2015
Med's Done....
30-07-2015
Passport Req..
26-04-16
VISA ISSUED...
11-04-16
LANDED..........
07-2017
RN_0001 said:
Hi there,
Which university did you receive your nursing degree from? Which school did your students receive their nursing degree from (which university do you teach at)?

The NNAS assessment looks through applicant's course syllabi for words/terminology similar to that which is found in Canadian course syllabi. In order to be considered "comparable", the wording needs to pretty much be exact. The results of the assessments are very erratic and inconsistent. NNAS and the provincial licensing bodies will not discuss the rubric or method they use to assess, even though they are supposed to be transparent. So none of us really know much more than that about how the assessment is completed. What we do know is: NNAS assessments are solely designed to measure how well international nursing education compares to Canadian nursing education. However, the assessments are conducted in the United States by Americans who are not nurses. We know that many American-educated applicants have received "non-comparable" on their Advisory Report, and that students who graduated from the exact same nursing programs sometimes receive different assessment results.
Hi I did my education from Rajiv Gandhi University of Health sciences Bangalore, India... I was teaching in the same colleges where I have done my studies and my students were from same university. But only things changed were the syllabus got revised so I think that made the difference for my students. Now planning to write Celban as CARNA asked for the English language requirements.

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
ATTENTION: Ontario applicants with no nursing work experience

I just wanted to make sure everyone was aware that CNO has made changes as a result of the Council meeting held in September 2016. Ihadn't noticed until today that these changes were posted on the CNO website two weeks ago.

Prior to Sept 2016, those without nursing work experience were not usually able to attempt the IENCAP. They were asked to complete more education to fulfill the competencies identified by NNAS. The changes made as of September 2016 allow those without nursing work experience to also attempt the IENCAP in order to prove their knowledge, skill and judgement is equal to that of a Canadian nursing degree graduate.

For those with nursing work experience, CNO will also look at that--your job descriptions and other documentation regarding your work, in order to determine if there is evidence within those documents to show you have met one or more competencies that NNAS said you are missing.

These two things can help to prove you meet the education requirement. The change applies to all applicants who have an application that is currently OPEN.

canada11

Feb 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
15-Sep-2015
This is a great news

RN_0001 said:
ATTENTION: Ontario applicants with no nursing work experience

I just wanted to make sure everyone was aware that CNO has made changes as a result of the Council meeting held in September 2016. Ihadn't noticed until today that these changes were posted on the CNO website two weeks ago.

Prior to Sept 2016, those without nursing work experience were not usually able to attempt the IENCAP. They were asked to complete more education to fulfill the competencies identified by NNAS. The changes made as of September 2016 allow those without nursing work experience to also attempt the IENCAP in order to prove their knowledge, skill and judgement is equal to that of a Canadian nursing degree graduate.

For those with nursing work experience, CNO will also look at that--your job descriptions and other documentation regarding your work, in order to determine if there is evidence within those documents to show you have met one or more competencies that NNAS said you are missing.

These two things can help to prove you meet the education requirement. The change applies to all applicants who have an application that is currently OPEN.

mk84

Star Member
Dec 17, 2014
india
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-12-2014
AOR Received.
27-04-2015
Med's Request
21-07-2015
Med's Done....
30-07-2015
Passport Req..
26-04-16
VISA ISSUED...
11-04-16
LANDED..........
07-2017
Hi it will be great if anyone can suggest how to prepare for celban and from where to get some study materials. As I will be writing the cel an exam in May 2017 and if any one can send me some materials my email I'd is k_manish84@sify.com.