+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

National Nursing Assessment Centre NNAS

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
iblessed said:
CNO gave me the go ahead to write the exam and i did the RPN exam today and will now wait for the result.
Congrats on completing the RPN exam today. What did CNO advise you in regard to next steps for RN?

iblessed

Mar 8, 2012
RN_0001 said:
Congrats on completing the RPN exam today. What did CNO advise you in regard to next steps for RN?

Thank you. CNO said that i needed to complete some competences and only York offer the course that would help me and the waiting list is very long. Plus my NMC Registration is still valid so i am not a priority for these courses.

iblessed

Mar 8, 2012
iblessed said:
Thank you. CNO said that i needed to complete some competences and only York offer the course that would help me and the waiting list is very long. Plus my NMC Registration is still valid so i am not a priority for these courses.

Your 3 year Adult BSc nursing degree and your 1 year diploma in Neonatal intensive care was good for the NNAS Assessment.

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
iblessed said:
Yes the list is very, very long. I think there are only 50 spots per year or something like that. Maybe they have increased by now but definitely not near enough spots for all applicants.

Which competencies did CNO say you are missing? I would think that you might be missing the maternal/child piece but I wonder which competencies they said you need to go back to school for? It seems extreme.

brown3979

Oct 1, 2016
So to update my timeline.
NNAS application started 4/18/2016
NNAS recieved all documents 7/12/2016
NNAS has all documts as "meets requirements" 9/11/2016
NNAS issues report: 12/15/16 (Report was "Somewhat comparable")
Apply to CNO: 12/15/16
Letter from CNO saying they are review my education: 1/5/17
Letter from CNO telling me outstanding requirements: 1/19/17

My outstanding requirement is proof of eligibility to work in Canada and the Jurisprudence (which I am taking next week). No competencies and as a US RN I already took and passed the NCLEX 2 years ago. I also have 2 years of work history, but CNO did not require any further documentation regarding it.

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
brown3979 said:
... No competencies and as a US RN I already took and passed the NCLEX 2 years ago. I also have 2 years of work history, but CNO did not require any further documentation regarding it.
Congratulations! All things said, that is a pretty good timeline I think, in comparison to the timelines of others, who usually at this point still have to do more things to show comparable education. So, good for you!

It seems that "somewhat comparable" is the new "comparable". For the most part, they are now being treated essentially the same, especially after the September CNO Council meeting. A bit unusual that they didn't ask for proof of work history, but even if they do in the near future, that's fine, easy enough to provide!

May I ask which school you received your nursing education? It's incredibly helpful for people on this forum to help build an understanding of what to reasonably expect for NNAS advisory reports and such.

Congrats again! And thank you for the update! Please continue to update us, it gives us hope!

brown3979

Oct 1, 2016
I actually went to Cleveland State University for my BSN, it is my 2nd degree. It was an accelerated program too (17 months) so I was worried they would look down on that. But my school provided over 500 pages of syllabi (I gave them a flash drive to load all the documents onto and send it in). As far as work history I work for the Cleveland Clinic, the name recognition and their logo stamped on all of my paperwork they filled out probably helped. I will say that for my NNAS report too I was comparable for 70% of the categories, and non comparable for only something like "diversity patient populations", so I had to be pretty close on the cusp of "comparable"

vivon

Jun 5, 2015
I got somewhat comparable too from Wichita State University in Kansas. I do believe that the syllabus helps and not so much the name recognition. I say that because they also sent tons of syllabus. I completed LPN/RN/BSN and to be quite honest, my LPN school was terrible at that time with about 60% pass rate. But my RN associate degree and BSN programs were mostly online and only attended school once a week. I requested them to send the most detailed sylllabus. I am surprised CNO did not request you to send a job description, because they have been requesting everybody else. I have 5 years experience as an RN and worked in the hospital.

brown3979

Oct 1, 2016
vivon said:
I got somewhat comparable too from Wichita State University in Kansas. I do believe that the syllabus helps and not so much the name recognition. I say that because they also sent tons of syllabus. I completed LPN/RN/BSN and to be quite honest, my LPN school was terrible at that time with about 60% pass rate. But my RN associate degree and BSN programs were mostly online and only attended school once a week. I requested them to send the most detailed sylllabus. I am surprised CNO did not request you to send a job description, because they have been requesting everybody else. I have 5 years experience as an RN and worked in the hospital.
Hmm so I called CNO to clarify I was planning to come over under NAFTA. They stated that until I have my work permit I cannot get full licensure but I can have a conditional registration with the the condition being I get it. Once I get the work permit I can submit it to them. Sometimes they can grant ability to work immediately. Sometimes it takes up to 4 weeks. Personally this all seems kinda of backwards, under NAFTA we automatically qualify with a job offer. It's shame I'm not to the point where I am ready to propose to my girlfriend yet, or this would be a lot easier lol. I'm worried the immigration people at the border won't look kindly upon the fact that I dont have the full licensure (one of the few requirements to practice) and any employers would back away from extending an offer out of uncertainty of my eligibility to work. Plus I feel like depending on who you have reviewing your information they may be more or less lenient. Plus all of the idiots who are actively trying to leave the country thanks to the election are going to make them scrutinize it even more

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
brown3979 said:
I actually went to Cleveland State University for my BSN, it is my 2nd degree. It was an accelerated program too (17 months) so I was worried they would look down on that. But my school provided over 500 pages of syllabi ...I will say that for my NNAS report too I was comparable for 70% of the categories, and non comparable for only something like "diversity patient populations", so I had to be pretty close on the cusp of "comparable"
Thank you for your reply. So when you had your syllabi sent to NNAS, did you have just your syllabi from your nursing education sent in to be assessed or did you have your syllabi from both your nursing education and your other degree sent in to NNAS? NNAS does say on their website that they will only look at nursing education but it seems like they must have included your first degree in the assessment as well in order to get mostly "comparable". I'm just wondering because I think half the battle for IENs is getting the right information sent in to NNAS for evaluation, so the more people know about what to send in, the better the chance their full scope of education is evaluated.

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
brown3979 said:
Hmm so I called CNO to clarify I was planning to come over under NAFTA. They stated that until I have my work permit I cannot get full licensure but I can have a conditional registration with the the condition being I get it... Plus all of the idiots who are actively trying to leave the country thanks to the election are going to make them scrutinize it even more
Yes this will be tricky for you. It's a chicken or egg scenario. Now that you are pretty much through the verification of credentials mess, you'll be entering the immigration mess. The conditional registration sounds like it might be your only option...?
I can imagine that now that Trump is president, there will be more and more deciding it's time for a new home to the north.

brown3979

Oct 1, 2016
RN_0001 said:
Thank you for your reply. So when you had your syllabi sent to NNAS, did you have just your syllabi from your nursing education sent in to be assessed or did you have your syllabi from both your nursing education and your other degree sent in to NNAS? NNAS does say on their website that they will only look at nursing education but it seems like they must have included your first degree in the assessment as well in order to get mostly "comparable". I'm just wondering because I think half the battle for IENs is getting the right information sent in to NNAS for evaluation, so the more people know about what to send in, the better the chance their full scope of education is evaluated.
I only had the syllabi from my nursing education at my 2nd university. No information was provided about the prerequisites required other than the course name, grade and credit hours as they were completed at the other university. Which honestly surprised me because I feel like it would have more of an impact.

First I will try and go under NAFTA. When interviewing I will provide copies of the conditional letter from CNO (stating that upon authorization to work I will be granted full registration). I also hope to email Canadian immigration and have a statement from them saying: provided I meet all other requirements (job offer, US citizenship) that I can be granted the temporary work permit with the conditional CNO registration letter. That way when I interview it can ease any employers worry. If that fails I can apply the regular way (which requires the labour market impact assessment, which is lengthly and expensive), or my girlfriend could sponser me (which would take ~12 months). I applaud Canada on their tough stance with immigration but it's amazing how difficult it is. I have coworkers who have come form the Phillipines and India and the entire process had taken 6-9 months from applying to licensure and starting their new job.

Ill probably update once I contact Canadian immigration to see if the conditional registration is satisfactory to meet the ability to practice requirement in NAFTA

iblessed

Mar 8, 2012
brown3979 said:
So to update my timeline.
NNAS application started 4/18/2016
NNAS recieved all documents 7/12/2016
NNAS has all documts as "meets requirements" 9/11/2016
NNAS issues report: 12/15/16 (Report was "Somewhat comparable")
Apply to CNO: 12/15/16
Letter from CNO saying they are review my education: 1/5/17
Letter from CNO telling me outstanding requirements: 1/19/17

My outstanding requirement is proof of eligibility to work in Canada and the Jurisprudence (which I am taking next week). No competencies and as a US RN I already took and passed the NCLEX 2 years ago. I also have 2 years of work history, but CNO did not require any further documentation regarding it.

Congratulations

iblessed

Mar 8, 2012
RN_0001 said:
Yes the list is very, very long. I think there are only 50 spots per year or something like that. Maybe they have increased by now but definitely not near enough spots for all applicants.

Which competencies did CNO say you are missing? I would think that you might be missing the maternal/child piece but I wonder which competencies they said you need to go back to school for? It seems extreme.

These are the Competencies.
Ongoing holistic assessment; #37-45 & 48
Application of knowledge: collaborates with clients to develop healthcare plans; #49-59
Ethical Practice; #86-100
Service to the Public; #101, 102a-e, 103, 104a-d, 105a-h, 106a-d, 107-114
Self Regulation; #115-122, 123a-f

mk84

Star Member
Dec 17, 2014
india
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-12-2014
AOR Received.
27-04-2015
Med's Request
21-07-2015
Med's Done....
30-07-2015
Passport Req..
26-04-16
VISA ISSUED...
11-04-16
LANDED..........
07-2017
Hi friends.. I got my NNAS report in the month of October and it says not comparable.. I have a masters degree form india and more than 8 years of teaching experience for post graduate and under graduate students... But some of my students who have undergraduate degree when they applied for NNAS they got somewhat comparable.., I don't know on which criteria they use for assessing our education.