+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

National Nursing Assessment Centre NNAS

needscoffee

Star Member
Feb 17, 2017
I received the decision from CARNA today after 1 month from my AR and they are giving me an option to take ARNAP or bridge school and I've decided to take bridge school at MRU. What are you thoughts? By the way, I'm still waiting for CLPNA since I just sent my job description as a requirement. I hope I made the ti decision to go back to school
Hi! I'm from the Philippines and CARNA gave me the same option. Do ARNAP or Bridging program in MRU. I phoned MRU and they only have 80 spots available per year so probably the waiting list is 1- 2 years. I haven't decide yet what to do. i'm still confused and undecided. I know that time is running. this is a hard decision.

I also applied in CLPNA. can you please give updates when you get heard from CLPNA. thnx

Melizaanne

Star Member
Jun 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 9,2016
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
Aug 30, 2016; SA- Sept 8, 2016
File Transfer...
September 14, 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
June 28,2016-Passed
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
Nov.15,2016
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 12, 2016
LANDED..........
Very soonest
Hi! I'm from the Philippines and CARNA gave me the same option. Do ARNAP or Bridging program in MRU. I phoned MRU and they only have 80 spots available per year so probably the waiting list is 1- 2 years. I haven't decide yet what to do. i'm still confused and undecided. I know that time is running. this is a hard decision.

I also applied in CLPNA. can you please give updates when you get heard from CLPNA. thnx

Ohh really sad

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016

If I were you I would do ARNAP. It is expensive, but so is going back to school! The reason I am suggesting this is that you might pass and then you will have saved yourself a few years (waiting for a spot plus completing the bridge program). If you don't attempt ARNAP, you will never know! There is no harm in trying, because if you do not pass ARNAP, as far as I understand, you can then apply for a spot in the bridge program. But it doesn't make sense to me to assume automatically that you won't pass ARNAP and put yourself through an entire wait and bridge program without at least attempting ARNAP. Just study really, really hard, practice a tonne, and do your best. There are lots of resources to help prepare applicants for IENCAP, and ARNAP is essentially the same exam. I really think it's worth the try as long as you would be able to apply to the bridge program if you didn't pass ARANP. Best to call the College to make sure this is the case.

Reactions: canada11

kali86

Dec 19, 2012
Hello friends,
I have some concerns If some IEN eligible to take nclex but safe practice is expired. Can that person able to do master in nursing here?

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
Hello friends,
I have some concerns If some IEN eligible to take nclex but safe practice is expired. Can that person able to do master in nursing here?
If you are eligible for NCLEX then that means they decided that your nursing education is comparable to Canadian nursing education. If the requirement to get into a Masters of Nursing program is that you have a nursing degree, you would be fine to get into a Masters program. The problem you are likely going to run into is that you are required to have 2 years of nursing experience before you can be eligible for a Masters program. They might require the two year to be Canadian experience. You will have to call schools to ask.

kali86

Dec 19, 2012
If you are eligible for NCLEX then that means they decided that your nursing education is comparable to Canadian nursing education. If the requirement to get into a Masters of Nursing program is that you have a nursing degree, you would be fine to get into a Masters program. The problem you are likely going to run into is that you are required to have 2 years of nursing experience before you can be eligible for a Masters program. They might require the two year to be Canadian experience. You will have to call schools to ask.
Thank you

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
In the minutes from the March 2017 CNO Council meeting you will see that NNAS is reviewing the way they do their assessments. Finally, CNO is (sort of) admitting to the fact that there are big issues with the way NNAS assesses foreign nursing education.

sugarsuzanne

Mar 28, 2017
Hi. I am just starting my NNAS. I just want to know if BPO job as a Clinical Program Nurse can be added as an experience for the assessment?

Thank you.

kali86

Dec 19, 2012
Hello friends,
I would like to share one case of IEN which help to motivate all of us. One of CNO applicant has got result after job description evaluation.Applicant got study in Philippines. Nnas report was non comparable with 49 % ETP. After evaluation of her study and work experiences in Philippines.Applicant has allowed to do nclex and education is equivalent to Canadian education .

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
Hello friends,
I would like to share one case of IEN which help to motivate all of us. One of CNO applicant has got result after job description evaluation.Applicant got study in Philippines. Nnas report was non comparable with 49 % ETP. After evaluation of her study and work experiences in Philippines.Applicant has allowed to do nclex and education is equivalent to Canadian education .
Wow, great for that applicant! How did you find out?

ap17

Jun 5, 2017
I am a RN from US with 4yrs BSN. I received not comparable for RN and some what comparable for LPN from NNAS. I applied to CNO within two weeks i received an email to take jurisprudence exam. can anyone tell me what is the next step after I pass the jurisprudence exam? am i going to get OSCE exam? please help

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
I am a RN from US with 4yrs BSN. I received not comparable for RN and some what comparable for LPN from NNAS. I applied to CNO within two weeks i received an email to take jurisprudence exam. can anyone tell me what is the next step after I pass the jurisprudence exam? am i going to get OSCE exam? please help
It depends. I too am a US educated nurse with 4 year BSN. What school did you obtain your nursing education? Do you have any licensed nursing employment experience?

ap17

Jun 5, 2017
It depends. I too am a US educated nurse with 4 year BSN. What school did you obtain your nursing education? Do you have any licensed nursing employment experience?
I graduated from UT health science center and worked for a year in texas
What school did you go to? And did you have to take OSCE?

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
I graduated from UT health science center and worked for a year in texas
What school did you go to? And did you have to take OSCE?
At the September 2016 CNO Council meeting it was brought up that the NNAS assessment wasn't letting anyone through and their number of IEN's gaining registration after NNAS was implemented was almost zero. So they decided to allow those with "non comparable" results to submit some paperwork regarding their nursing work experience, current job description, etc, and they would review it before having the applicant referred to take OSCE. Applicants always have the choice to take OSCE anyway, but who would do that without first checking that their experience wouldn't be accepted as the equivalent of a Canadian graduate? In September they were still going on about how NNAS is a valid assessment tool and they weren't worried that it wasn't catching good education and ya-di-ya-di-ya-da, and that the way they handle the NNAS results is what needs tweaking. The minutes from the last meeting in March show that they did admit to some extent that NNAS is concerning, since NNAS is reviewing the process by which they do their evaluation.

So, you might be lucky, since you are in this situation now at a time when they have agreed to allow nursing work experience to be submitted and reviewed by CNO. Unfortunately you won't be reimbursed for the almost $1000k CAD that you spent on a faulty assessment of your nursing education by NNAS though (since the review they are doing will obviously be falling after you had your assessment completed. And I will now be reimbursed for that either, nor will I be reimbursed for the OSCE that I had to take to prove myself, even though my school (Michigan State) was approved by CNO for years and years up until NNAS was implemented and that wiped out any approvals, which is ridiculous because the curriculum didn't change, only their assessment process. It's likely that your school was previously accepted as well.

If you lucky (quite possible) they will accept your nursing work experience (I'm assuming it was within the past 3 years) and you will not have to do OSCE like I did. If you are not lucky, you will have to go through the same hell I went through, and pay the $500 fee for OSCE, as well as endure the stress of that exam.

I do think though that you will be lucky. CNO has been letting a lot of US educated applicants through recently, I think because they are under some heat for their assessment process.