+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nanni's work permit issues

jaynexo

Jan 28, 2019
Believe child came to Canada on a study visa (paying international fees) and mother came as a visitor to accompany her. Child would not have been eligible for “free” education if mother got work permit as low wage NOC.
That is accurate. The child was enrolled as an international student in high school.

Thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
That's for sure but I'm talking about school fees. It's not right to charge kids high school age and under for their education if they're out-of-country.
So all kids coming to Canada should not pay tuition if parents don’t have status? Don’t understand your logic. Minors needs study permits and need to pay international fees if parents have no status in Canada.

Hummingbird89

Mar 18, 2023
Toronto
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
So all kids coming to Canada should not pay tuition if parents don’t have status? Don’t understand your logic. Minors needs study permits and need to pay international fees if parents have no status in Canada.
I can tell you about Florida. They enroll kids no matter the status and you pay nothing. I assumed Canada did the same. What a shame.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I can tell you about Florida. They enroll kids no matter the status and you pay nothing. I assumed Canada did the same. What a shame.
The child is not undocumented. The child entered on a study permit paying international fees. The mother entered as a visitor. Mother cannot afford tuition now so she has to talk school board and find out if child can continue. This is a provincial issue.

So if I go to Florida on vacation, I can register my kids in school if I decide not to leave?

Hummingbird89

Mar 18, 2023
Toronto
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
The child is not undocumented. The child entered on a study permit paying international fees. The mother entered as a visitor. Mother cannot afford tuition now so she has to talk school board and find out if child can continue. This is a provincial issue.

So if I go to Florida on vacation, I can register my kids in school if I decide not to leave?
Yes, you can. I know someone who was an undocumented child in the US school system in South Florida for over a decade. They issue you a school ID number if you have no SSN.

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
Just curious... Is it the same for all US states? Or just Florida?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, you can. I know someone who was an undocumented child in the US school system in South Florida for over a decade. They issue you a school ID number if you have no SSN.
This is not the case if you arrive as an international students. There are hundreds of thousands of international high school students paying to attend public high schools across the US. In some school boards across Canada there is a policy to look the other way in terms of immigration status but not all of them. If you arrived as an international student and that is why you were admitted to Canada and the mother was lucky enough to get a TRV at least to accompany the child temporarily for 6 months then the situation is very different. They were in Canada purely to study.

Reactions: Hummingbird89

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
she had a valid visa until she applied. Following that, she did not receive any correspondence from IRCC. They followed up through an online enquiry and were advised that their application is in process. The letter has an application number on it as well.
Had she been renewing her visitor status every 6 months? As @scylla has already indicated it seems as though she has been out of status since 2019 and never qualified to work and has been working illegally since 2019. That means you have also been employing someone without status. There are very strict payment requirements for anyone employing a nanny under a foreign work permit. Her child would also be living illegally in Canada. Did the child change schools? The original school would have been aware of his status as an international student and would have likely asked for a study permit and tuition to continue studying. How old is this child? They will need proof of a study permit and tuition to attend any post secondary institution. The other big issue is that there situations seems to be a purely the result of sanctions so there was nothing preventing them from returning home except the personal desire to finish his education in Canada.

Reactions: cz999

jaynexo

Jan 28, 2019
Hi folks,
Trying to revive this thread. The update is that our nanny’s daughter has received her work permit. The lawyer has messed up her case though. In fact they did not file her application or update immigration on anything. They have exploited her situation and been very rude to her. I will pursue a legal action against them.

Long story short. The case office sent a her a letter in Dec 03. Indicating that this is the last chance for her to provide the following:

a) English translation of academic records
B) proof that her employer is able to pay her wages, their t4s and employment letters etc.
C) long birth certificates of the child be in my cared for

she had provided ircc with all that information in 2020. 2021 when we hitred hired her services and in 2023 again when she paid this latest immigration consultant. The case officer is still referring to her previous employer which clearly shows that none of the lawyers or consultants bothered to have her records straightened out.

She has been given 2 weeks to provide all the information to the case officer for the final decision. We have provided her all the details and written a note for her to send to the case officer detailing her ordeal.

is there anything more we can do to help her? Any recommendations for a lawyer to sue her current immigration consultant who refused to help her when she went to see them today and basically advised her leave their office.

thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi folks,
Trying to revive this thread. The update is that our nanny’s daughter has received her work permit. The lawyer has messed up her case though. In fact they did not file her application or update immigration on anything. They have exploited her situation and been very rude to her. I will pursue a legal action against them.

Long story short. The case office sent a her a letter in Dec 03. Indicating that this is the last chance for her to provide the following:

a) English translation of academic records
B) proof that her employer is able to pay her wages, their t4s and employment letters etc.
C) long birth certificates of the child be in my cared for

she had provided ircc with all that information in 2020. 2021 when we hitred hired her services and in 2023 again when she paid this latest immigration consultant. The case officer is still referring to her previous employer which clearly shows that none of the lawyers or consultants bothered to have her records straightened out.

She has been given 2 weeks to provide all the information to the case officer for the final decision. We have provided her all the details and written a note for her to send to the case officer detailing her ordeal.

is there anything more we can do to help her? Any recommendations for a lawyer to sue her current immigration consultant who refused to help her when she went to see them today and basically advised her leave their office.

thanks
How old is the the child and what is the highest level of education they finished in Canada and when did they finish studying? What type of work permit did the child receive? What country are the from? It is still unclear what is going on in terms of immigration with the nanny. What kind of permit is the nanny applying for? HCCP? When did she apply for this permit? Typically processing for HCCP is years.

Suing her previous consultant will be difficult and costly. Are they are a licensed in Canada? Have you verified their licensing? I would focus on trying to regularized the nanny’s status and try to address IRCC’s request before focusing on the previous consultant. it’s unclear whether the nanny was entitled to any services when they went to the offices. If they made a lot of errors you don’t want their services to deal with current application. Information can change since 2019/20 so not unusual to ask for new documents.