+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name on PR Card different from Passport

Jul 26, 2016
Basically my PR card has my name written wrong - my first and last name are written as my last name. Immigration Canada claims that this is how they view it since my older passport didnt indicate my first and last name. I tried correcting the issue on my card by showing CIC that my new passport writes my name accordingly. They are not convinced and want a legal name change document!

Anyway fast forward to now, I am planning to take a trip to Europe in mid-September and wanted to find out whether I would have a problem returning to Canada given that my PR card name is different than my passport name (the difference is basically that my first name and last name are written as my last name in my PR card while my current passport separates the first and last name). I will make sure to carry my old passport just incase - but other than that there are no other documents to show name change cause this is not a case of legal name change. Its just how my name is formatted in my new passport versus my old.

Please do share if you have ever experienced this issue (or something similar) or if you have any tips etc. Much appreciated.

jagni

Jun 20, 2020
United States
Category........
FSW
AOR Received.
23-11-2019
Basically my PR card has my name written wrong - my first and last name are written as my last name. Immigration Canada claims that this is how they view it since my older passport didnt indicate my first and last name. I tried correcting the issue on my card by showing CIC that my new passport writes my name accordingly. They are not convinced and want a legal name change document!

Anyway fast forward to now, I am planning to take a trip to Europe in mid-September and wanted to find out whether I would have a problem returning to Canada given that my PR card name is different than my passport name (the difference is basically that my first name and last name are written as my last name in my PR card while my current passport separates the first and last name). I will make sure to carry my old passport just incase - but other than that there are no other documents to show name change cause this is not a case of legal name change. Its just how my name is formatted in my new passport versus my old.

Please do share if you have ever experienced this issue (or something similar) or if you have any tips etc. Much appreciated.
Did you get this issue resolved? Could you please share what happened in your case? Thank you.