+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name of family members spelling discrepancies

NicholasG

Apr 14, 2016
Hi all,

I need to prove relation to my brother in my application.

The problem is that the spelling of my mom's name has been quite inconsistent over the years. Her name isn't exactly the same on my birth certificate, my brother's birth certificate and her current passport. Just a few letters are different in each.

Also, my second name in my current passport (father's name) is one letter different from my dad's name on his passport right now. It's also one letter different from my name as it is on my birth certificate.

Sorry for the convoluted story but what I'm trying to ask is: will minor spelling discrepancies like this (additional letters/different letters) make a difference to my application? Do I need to get an affidavit to account for each and every spelling discrepancy?

santhkum90

Oct 17, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
15-09-2017
AOR Received.
15-09-2017
Passport Req..
16-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
25-10-2017
LANDED..........
28-03-2018
Hi all,

The problem is that the spelling of my mom's name has been quite inconsistent over the years. Her name isn't exactly the same on my birth certificate, my brother's birth certificate and her current passport. Just a few letters are different in each.

Also, my second name in my current passport (father's name) is one letter different from my dad's name on his passport right now. It's also one letter different from my name as it is on my birth certificate.

Sorry for the convoluted story but what I'm trying to ask is: will minor spelling discrepancies like this (additional letters/different letters) make a difference to my application? Do I need to get an affidavit to account for each and every spelling discrepancy?
Yes, the spelling discrepancies are a problem. You are identified by your exact name. If I were you, I would surely get an affidavit but I am not sure whether that is enough.

Maverick28

VIP Member
Feb 5, 2017
Canada
Hi all,

Firstly you don't need a birth certificate for FSW. All the names in the respective passports should be used everywhere. For your mother's name, use the one on her passport.