+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name Issue

Waqas.vikc

Star Member
Sep 18, 2016
hi,

My Name on Passport & IELTS result is M W S G but on my educational degrees and ECA it is M W S

Do you guys think there will any problem with it?

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
So a middle name is missing?

On the face of it I assume that it wouldn't be too much of a problem. A LOE could just state that you don't always use all of your middle names.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
Waqas.vikc said:
No basically on passport my first & last name is M G while on my education credentials & ECA it is M S

Why? You have a first name and a last name.

If it is the last name missing then yes, it is likely to be a problem.

musicnlyrx

Sep 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Waqas.vikc said:
No basically on passport my first & last name is M G while on my education credentials & ECA it is M S
I think you need to get a notary-signed affidavit that confirms that all M G and M S are same and one person.
If you search the forum little bit more, there is an affidavit template that people have used.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
musicnlyrx said:
I think you need to get a notary-signed affidavit that confirms that all M G and M S are same and one person.
If you search the forum little bit more, there is an affidavit template that people have used.

Why are names such a problem with so many people?? You use the name on your birth certificate for life, everything.

AngelsPlayer

Star Member
Nov 5, 2014
India
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
10-02-2016
AOR Received.
10-10-2015
IELTS Request
05-02-2016
Med's Done....
25-01-2016
Waqas.vikc said:

I had the same problem

I prepared a affidavit mentioning about the name difference in passport and educational certificate and said both the name refers to the same person and got the affidavit notary attested.
When applying documents after getting invitation to apply, you will have to attach this affidavit and mention of LOE why you are doing this.

I did the same and got my pr stamped also.

If you need a format of this please let me know.

musicnlyrx

Sep 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kryt0n said:
But why are names different??
Basically it's a developing country's problem.
Most of the people who were born before 1990's do not have birth certificate as mandatory thing as compared to many developed nations. So the 10th standard certificate/high school certificate is used as birth certificate proof. Also, there are many times some officials during your education or creating DL or creating other government cards, misspell your name or remove middle name or last name and you are OK with that some times.

As we never thought that we would be applying for Canadian PR, things work fine in the country we are born in. In case of any issue, Affidavit solves all the problem in our country.

So basically no mandatory birth certificate in our time is cause of the problem, but now days it is mandatory to have birth certificate and millennials will not face this issue.

Hope this clear your doubts :)

Reactions: OnceMore

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
musicnlyrx said:
Most of the people who were born before 1990's do not have birth certificate as mandatory thing as compared to many developed nations. So the 10th standard certificate/high school certificate is used as birth certificate proof. Also, there are many times some officials during your education or creating DL or creating other government cards, misspell your name or remove middle name or last name and you are OK with that some times.

As we never thought that we would be applying for Canadian PR, things work fine in the country we are born in. In case of any issue, Affidavit solves all the problem in our country.

So basically no mandatory birth certificate in our time is cause of the problem, but now days it is mandatory to have birth certificate and millennials will not face this issue.

Ah I see, thank you. The whole concept just seems strange to me... you have a name... that's the one you always use... but I guess if you lack consistent paperwork I can see it might be an issue.

sodapop123

Star Member
Mar 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2016
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
20-11-2016
IELTS Request
N/A (upfront)
Med's Request
N/A (upfront)
Med's Done....
31-10-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
02-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
27-02-2017
LANDED..........
01-05-2017
kryt0n said:
Ah I see, thank you. The whole concept just seems strange to me... you have a name... that's the one you always use... but I guess if you lack consistent paperwork I can see it might be an issue.
i know how it seems confusing.... another such case with names inconsistency is : in a highly diverse country, in different parts of the country, names are written out differently e.g. First name + middle name + last name is the standard, but certain areas will use last name + first name + middle or last(initial only) + middle + first and other such combinations......
If one happens to grow up in various parts of the same country (moving around a lot), you end having education documents with different name formats for the same person.

NewApplicant88

Jul 27, 2018
Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
13-09-2018
I had the same problem

I prepared a affidavit mentioning about the name difference in passport and educational certificate and said both the name refers to the same person and got the affidavit notary attested.
When applying documents after getting invitation to apply, you will have to attach this affidavit and mention of LOE why you are doing this.

Hi there,

Please could you share the format of the affidavit?

I recently gave my IELTS exam and used my Emirates ID as the identity document. As a norm in the UAE, the Emirates ID includes your name + father's name - as a result of which my TRF has my name + fathers name. Whereas every other document in my life just has my name.

I've had a word with IELTS as well, they said they would not change the name once they have issued the TRF. So have to go with the affidavit, as also recommended by someone else in the Forum. Would highly appreciate you sharing the format.

OnceMore

Star Member
Sep 2, 2018
Ottawa
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
17-09-2020
AOR Received.
17-09-2020
Wait till you hear about the concept of "initials" in names. No, I am not talking about the initials that you use as a shortcut when you have to sign in multiple places and then a full signature in the end to save time. I am talking about legit 'initials' that are part of a name and are not meant (in the host country) to be expanded but do get expanded when going to a western nation.

Also, there are scores of people who have birth certificates without names because guess what, parents hadn't come up with a name when the baby was born and that is totally normal in many parts of the world. Unfortunately the baby grows up and decides to go to Canada, damn babies, u can never know their intention ;)

OnceMore

Star Member
Sep 2, 2018
Ottawa
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
17-09-2020
AOR Received.
17-09-2020

Kudos for not starting a flame war. Your calm and clear answer solved someone's genuine confusion, we need more people like you musicnlyrx :rolleyes:

ayushisunda

Jan 25, 2021
I had the same problem

Hi
I have a same question as my fathers midfle name is missing in education certificates and in my passport it is with middle name in it. Can you share LOE format and affit davit. Please