+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name in the passport and the application forms

sampath_lk

Jul 16, 2019
Hi Seniors,
I need your advice as i have a massive problem. I am willing to apply for student visa and accompanying my wife with me. Her name as mentioned in the passport is J B K Chathurangi Wadasinghe. But the application form asks me to enter her name as mentioned in the passport but not to use initials. Since her name in the passport has initials I cant use that name. If i write the full name of her, then it does not match with the passport name. In some places in the form they ask me to write the full name also. I am desperate and please save me from this.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Normally initials are not common in passports, is that the case in your country ?. Is it J.B.K or just JBK. If it is JBK then you could use that, as technically it's not an initial, but any document in Canada would probably then use that as the first name, so it's going to be a problem later on. I would suggest you get it corrected in your passport, right now only urgent cases are being processed so take the time to fix it, so that you avoid issues when you move into Canada.

I made the mistake of not splitting my name into given and surname and now I am facing issues, so better to get it corrected.

Reactions: sampath_lk

sampath_lk

Jul 16, 2019
Normally initials are not common in passports, is that the case in your country ?. Is it J.B.K or just JBK. If it is JBK then you could use that, as technically it's not an initial, but any document in Canada would probably then use that as the first name, so it's going to be a problem later on. I would suggest you get it corrected in your passport, right now only urgent cases are being processed so take the time to fix it, so that you avoid issues when you move into Canada.

I made the mistake of not splitting my name into given and surname and now I am facing issues, so better to get it corrected.
Thanks selvak..It is mentioned as J B K...JUST THE SPACES. It is in the case of sri lanka. We have lengthier names in Sri Lanka, So passport guys have no option as they cant reduce the name. What if i write the name as Wedasinghe as Family name and write J B K Chathurangi as Given names. And write full given name as Jayamini Biyangi Kamalini Chathurangi in the box of other names? Then they will know what was denoted by J B K. Can we attach a affidavit along with the application. Since they are bar code generated one i am suspicious about adding another document to the application.
Again thanks a lot to take time to reply

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Thanks selvak..It is mentioned as J B K...JUST THE SPACES. It is in the case of sri lanka. We have lengthier names in Sri Lanka, So passport guys have no option as they cant reduce the name. What if i write the name as Wedasinghe as Family name and write J B K Chathurangi as Given names. And write full given name as Jayamini Biyangi Kamalini Chathurangi in the box of other names? Then they will know what was denoted by J B K. Can we attach a affidavit along with the application. Since they are bar code generated one i am suspicious about adding another document to the application.
Again thanks a lot to take time to reply
For the full name field, you will have to fill it as it is mentioned in the passport. You can write the name as you would normally write it in the alias/other name field.

What they will look at is the name on the passport, the point of asking for alias is to ensure that you are not using another name to avoid being detected. If it's good enough for your government they will not really mind how the name is written.

For example, My entire name(25 characters) is in the given name and not in the surname, I have had a passport since 1995 and since it was initially handwritten the person just scratched out the surname since the blank was not enough to write my entire name in the given name field, or that is how they wanted it to be, not too sure. This has lasted my entire life and I did not correct this, and it is becoming a hassle filling forms here in Canada, where I am having to use dashes, commas, X or Not Applicable.

What is going to happen in your case is that if you get your permit,the name will be as it is mentioned in the passport, this will be the basis for each and every identity document that you get.

I would still suggest getting at least One name such as "Jayamini B K" since it will be easier in the future, otherwise her name would be J B K on all documents. It will be peace of mind later on.

For applying for permit, the name as it is should not cause any issues, as long as you write it as it is in the passport.

Reactions: sampath_lk

sampath_lk

Jul 16, 2019
For the full name field, you will have to fill it as it is mentioned in the passport. You can write the name as you would normally write it in the alias/other name field.

What they will look at is the name on the passport, the point of asking for alias is to ensure that you are not using another name to avoid being detected. If it's good enough for your government they will not really mind how the name is written.

For example, My entire name(25 characters) is in the given name and not in the surname, I have had a passport since 1995 and since it was initially handwritten the person just scratched out the surname since the blank was not enough to write my entire name in the given name field, or that is how they wanted it to be, not too sure. This has lasted my entire life and I did not correct this, and it is becoming a hassle filling forms here in Canada, where I am having to use dashes, commas, X or Not Applicable.

What is going to happen in your case is that if you get your permit,the name will be as it is mentioned in the passport, this will be the basis for each and every identity document that you get.

I would still suggest getting at least One name such as "Jayamini B K" since it will be easier in the future, otherwise her name would be J B K on all documents. It will be peace of mind later on.

For applying for permit, the name as it is should not cause any issues, as long as you write it as it is in the passport.

Thanks Selvakk, The name is real trouble to most of people in south asian countries...I will put her name as mentioned in the passport...