+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name changes on passport

Splistic

Jan 15, 2013
I just got married to a Japanese citizen. My wife's passport still says her maiden name. Would it be unwise to leave it like that until it expires? (Ten year visas in Japan, created last year, moving to Canada in August and plan to submit sponsorship PR application shortly before we go.)

I suppose it would look better on the application if her name was changed on the passport. We have the marriage certificate and it shows she has taken my last name.

Your advice is appreciated. Get it changed or not worth the extra paperwork, time and money?

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would recommend your wife's name should be changed before starting the sponsorship application. I hope it would not be difficult for her to get her maiden name changed after marriage.

Splistic

Jan 15, 2013
Sorry if I'm misinterpreting what I read, but just to be clear, her name is changed on our marriage certificate, it's just the passport that remains with her maiden name at the moment.

I'll get her to look into it, but I assume she's gonna have to apply for a new passport or revised or something like that. Not sure how that process works in Japan. Hopefully not too arduous. She's already stressing quite a bit over the PR application. As am I.

Thanks for your response. I guess her and I should get on that!

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
She doesn't have to change her passport but its an admin hassle when she has to submit the marriage certificate each time there is a need to match the current passport name to the married last name e.g when applying for her SIN, Health Card etc. For this reason many people change the passport to reflect their married name.