+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name change, split of first and last name.

Cannnada

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
Any one who has completed their name change, split of first name and last name in canadian PP share their experience, process, time taken?
After obtaining the provincial name change certificate, did any one applied for OCI?

adesai21

Oct 16, 2018
Canada
Steps for name change in your Canadian Passport:
  1. You'll need to get a name change; I did mine in Ontario. In Ontario, it's supposed to take 2 months for a name change certificate. However, mine took longer as Service Ontario needed additional information, and they also had some labor strikes.
  2. Once you get that, immediately update your driver's license, health card, and your SIN.
  3. You'll need a driver's license as proof of address while applying for a Canadian passport or any government-approved address ID with the new name.
  4. Then apply for a Canadian passport, which takes 25 days if you're not applying for urgent or immediate processing.
Later, you can apply for a new citizenship certificate with the updated name, which I haven't applied for yet.

Reactions: Cannnada

Namechange

Mar 18, 2024
Any one who has completed their name change, split of first name and last name in canadian PP share their experience, process, time taken?
After obtaining the provincial name change certificate, did any one applied for OCI?
Steps for name change in your Canadian Passport:
  1. You'll need to get a name change; I did mine in Ontario. In Ontario, it's supposed to take 2 months for a name change certificate. However, mine took longer as Service Ontario needed additional information, and they also had some labor strikes.
  2. Once you get that, immediately update your driver's license, health card, and your SIN.
  3. You'll need a driver's license as proof of address while applying for a Canadian passport or any government-approved address ID with the new name.
  4. Then apply for a Canadian passport, which takes 25 days if you're not applying for urgent or immediate processing.
Later, you can apply for a new citizenship certificate with the updated name, which I haven't applied for yet.

My case is as under
My Indian passport had my name on Given Name and Family Name was blank

In Canada, family name is mandatory. So they printed my entire name on Family Name and Given Name is blank

I got my Indian passport name corrected by getting the name split and now it has Given Name and Family Name correctly mentioned.

Now I’m applying for Citizenship. As per my research so far I will need to apply for Legal Name Change. The Processing time these days is 6-7 months.

To save time If I apply with name as per my PR card, and I believe when applying for Canadian Passport we can mention the name as how we want it to be. Is that right? If yes, Will there be any issue in OCI application ?

What documents do they see for OCI? If they see Canadian passport then my names would match as my new passport I’ll choose the right name but if they see citizenship certificate then will I have to get my name corrected in citizenship certificate? How long that process would be?

I understand that immediately after getting citizenship we need to surrender our Indian passport and get OCI to travel. Since the name change may take months in citizenship certificate, I won’t be able to travel to India?

Also, what all documents require name correction post citizenship acquisition in canada ?