+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name change process

zahedali

Star Member
Aug 16, 2016
Hello Guys,

Please let me know if the below is the process? Or if someone did the name change after Citizenship oath

1. Get Citizenship certificate

2. Change name

3. Update local documents(Driving License, Health Card, SIN... etc etc) with new name

3. Apply Canadian passport using new name

4. Apply Indian passport surrender with cover letter explaining name change and attach name change document

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Hello Guys,

Please let me know if the below is the process? Or if someone did the name change after Citizenship oath

1. Get Citizenship certificate

2. Change name

3. Update local documents(Driving License, Health Card, SIN... etc etc) with new name

3. Apply Canadian passport using new name

4. Apply Indian passport surrender with cover letter explaining name change and attach name change document
To avoid a run-in with Indian bureaucracy, maybe do #4 first.

BeerBeem

Feb 1, 2022
I thought the same, however BLS said it's better to change the name first otherwise we will be having issues during OCI
Hi Zahedali,

I have the indian passport with blank in surname and full name in given name.
Before applying for citizenship I go my full name split into Given and Surname using provincial name change certficate. So all my canadian ID, citizenship certificates and passport are with the updated name.

Now its time for surrender certifcate and OCI, how to proceed?

Did you attach a cover letter along with the provincial name change certificate while applying for surrender certificate?

Or was it just the required documents as in the surrender certificate checklist from BLS?

Thanks

SukhmaniKaur23

Apr 14, 2020
Hello,

Please let me know how you proceeded with the surrender certificate? Did you fill in the form for surrender certificate using the new name? And did you provide letter of explanation of name change along with the name change certificate?

Thank you,
Sukhmani

BeerBeem

Feb 1, 2022
Hello,

Please let me know how you proceeded with the surrender certificate? Did you fill in the form for surrender certificate using the new name? And did you provide letter of explanation of name change along with the name change certificate?

Thank you,
Sukhmani
I submitted my application only on 22nd September, and the only status I am aware of is that the courier has delivered the application at BLS Brampton. So I don't guarantee that the process I followed will work.

Regarding the surrender certificate, I filled in the application form exactly like the sample form provided by BLS. Stick to the guidelines that BLS have provided.
Updated the checklist with all the required documents and self-attested all the documents.

Now for the tricky part of the name change, I wrote a cover letter stating my varied names in Indian documents and Canadian documents and said I legally changed my name in Canada with the Ontario Name change certificate. That I, XYZ as per Indian documents and Z,XY as per Canadian documents are the same person and I am attaching my Provincial Name change certificate for the same.

I will keep the forum updated as in when I get any updates.

SukhmaniKaur23

Apr 14, 2020
I submitted my application only on 22nd September, and the only status I am aware of is that the courier has delivered the application at BLS Brampton. So I don't guarantee that the process I followed will work.

Regarding the surrender certificate, I filled in the application form exactly like the sample form provided by BLS. Stick to the guidelines that BLS have provided.
Updated the checklist with all the required documents and self-attested all the documents.

Now for the tricky part of the name change, I wrote a cover letter stating my varied names in Indian documents and Canadian documents and said I legally changed my name in Canada with the Ontario Name change certificate. That I, XYZ as per Indian documents and Z,XY as per Canadian documents are the same person and I am attaching my Provincial Name change certificate for the same.

Hello,

Thank you for your response. In the surrender application form did you mention your name as per Canadian passport or as per Indian passport?

Thank you,
Sukhmani

SukhmaniKaur23

Apr 14, 2020

BeerBeem

Feb 1, 2022
Thank you!!
Quick question on the picture- can we just print using printer at home or should we get it from a professional photo studio?
If it’s printed at home, I have the regular paper, not the digital picture paper.
Please let me know your thoughts!
It's a mixed response to that from the forum. I went with the professional pic as Staples is nearby. BLS can be a pain in your back if they really want to. So better be cautious than to delay your processing.

Yami007

Jan 21, 2019

Yami007

Jan 21, 2019
hi BeerBeem, thank for sharing.One quick question, i am too having name change issue, Did you submit the original name change certificate or photocopy.Also, Do we need to submit the original canadian passport

BeerBeem

Feb 1, 2022
hi BeerBeem, thank for sharing.One quick question, i am too having name change issue, Did you submit the original name change certificate or photocopy.Also, Do we need to submit the original canadian passport
I submitted only my original INDIAN passport. All other documents were self-attested photocopies( including CAN passport black and white photostat of the single details page)

Rmehta18

Jun 10, 2021