Name change process before oath

wcikkk

Star Member
Nov 24, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

After long wait of 15 years, I finally got a oath invitation last night.

I have been using English name for more than 10 years, and I wonder if I can change my first name and keep current name as a middle name.

According to my research, I should file application in Service Ontario, but not sure if I have to wait until oath.

If I send application now, would I get my revised name on citizenship certificate?

Is is better to wait until I become citizen?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Reom27

Star Member
Feb 16, 2016
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wcikkk said:
Hello,

After long wait of 15 years, I finally got a oath invitation last night.

I have been using English name for more than 10 years, and I wonder if I can change my first name and keep current name as a middle name.

According to my research, I should file application in Service Ontario, but not sure if I have to wait until oath.

If I send application now, would I get my revised name on citizenship certificate?

Is is better to wait until I become citizen?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Personally, I advice you to not go with a name change before you get your oath done and have your citizenship in hand. After that, do whatever you want to do and follow the procedure for that. I believe that anything you do now (i.e, before your oath) will affect your oath moment and who knows when you are going to have it again? You have been waiting for 15 years (as you mentioned) and you should just GO with the scheduled moment.

wcikkk

Star Member
Nov 24, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Reom27 said:
Personally, I advice you to not go with a name change before you get your oath done and have your citizenship in hand. After that, do whatever you want to do and follow the procedure for that. I believe that anything you do now (i.e, before your oath) will affect your oath moment and who knows when you are going to have it again? You have been waiting for 15 years (as you mentioned) and you should just GO with the scheduled moment.
Thanks. You have a great point. Yes.. I think it's better to wait and prepare all required documents and apply on the same day of oath.

Here's what I'd like to know.

Name change usually takes 6 to 8 weeks. If name change approved, will I get revised citizenship certificate?

In order to apply for passport with revised name, I will have to submit citizenship certificate with my new name.

CIC tells me issuing citizenship certificate will take 5 months :(

Reom27

Star Member
Feb 16, 2016
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wcikkk said:
Thanks. You have a great point. Yes.. I think it's better to wait and prepare all required documents and apply on the same day of oath.

Here's what I'd like to know.

Name change usually takes 6 to 8 weeks. If name change approved, will I get revised citizenship certificate?

In order to apply for passport with revised name, I will have to submit citizenship certificate with my new name.

CIC tells me issuing citizenship certificate will take 5 months :(

I am not sure how things work out but I think your are going to have a revised certificate once you legally change your name.
I believe that your name in the passport will be issued based on the one you have in your certificate. So, whatever name you have in the certificate (at the moment you apply for the passport), you will have it there.

As I mentioned earlier, you should go with what you have now till you get your passport. Once you have it, go with whatever procedure to change your name and it will be just a matter of "fixed" period of time in that case. But, if you go with the change right now, who knows how your file will go and how long will it take to reach the moment of oath?

Might someone else has a better idea on this and can help you better ...

All the best