+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name change problem - Passport

leflex

Jan 9, 2015
Hello pals,

I am dealing with a vicious issue here.

My oath ceremony is scheduled for March. I will then receive my citizenship certificate.

However, while I was waiting for the processing of my citizenship file, which lasted two years, I went through a name change.
I sent the corresponding documentation to CIC months ago, but they never took care of it (maybe it's just not something they do).

I was okay with that, because until October 20, the procedure to apply for a passport was to send a citizenship certificate AND the name change certificate.

However, I was reading about the changes in procedures yesterday and was appalled to see that the government now required you to first change your name on the citizenship certificate and then send it to Passport Canada for the application.

Which doesn't make sense, since the processing times to get a new citizenship certificate are... 5 months! (not to mention the fees).
I can't afford to wait 5 months, if not a lot more, after becoming a citizen to apply for a passport. Specially when I haven't done anything wrong so far.

Obviously, I am not going to involve CIC at this point, since they could perfectly say "oh well, then we are going to reprocess your citizenship and make you wait 14 more months" or something.

What do you think would be the solution? Could Passport Can. come up with an exception? I emailed them yesterday but their answer time is about 12 days...

Thanks for any help.

ScubaC

Jun 21, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi there,

I know what you are going through :( I changed my name BEFORE I applied for citizenship. I made sure of that due to all this hassle.

I don't think there is a way out of it sorry my friend :( Just going to have to change it on your certificate first and do as they say.

I would call the call centre and ask CIC specifically But, I don't think they will make an exception!

So sorry to hear of your dismay :(

Juney

Star Member
Dec 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I agree. You just have to change the name in the citizenship certificate first. You should have been persistent beforehand making sure that CIC has updated the name change. A friend's wife was on quite similar situation but it was on to assume relationship surname(use her husband's last name on passport). So it was an easier and straightforward application.

leflex

Jan 9, 2015
Thanks for the replies.

The reason why I didn't insist is because:

1) I called CIC once. They said "yeah just send us the documents, we will process that"
I called CIC another time. They said "no, we don't process that. Just take your citizenship certificate when you get it, add the name change certificate, and ask for a passport"

So, even after two unreliable answers, I decided to send my documents and trust that someone would work on them. Which wasn't the case.

2) Also, before October 20, you could ask for a passport with the old name and the name change paper. This problem that I have now is due to the new requirements at Pass. Canada. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2014-09-18.asp

All in all, I feel this is really unfair. Certainly, I should have followed up or given more calls to confirm. But I believe it's mostly their fault for having flawed and slow processes. Hopefully Pass. Canada will reply to my complaint and make an exception....

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

eltorpe

Star Member
Jan 6, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
leflex said:
Thanks for the replies.

The reason why I didn't insist is because:

1) I called CIC once. They said "yeah just send us the documents, we will process that"
I called CIC another time. They said "no, we don't process that. Just take your citizenship certificate when you get it, add the name change certificate, and ask for a passport"

So, even after two unreliable answers, I decided to send my documents and trust that someone would work on them. Which wasn't the case.

2) Also, before October 20, you could ask for a passport with the old name and the name change paper. This problem that I have now is due to the new requirements at Pass. Canada. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2014-09-18.asp

All in all, I feel this is really unfair. Certainly, I should have followed up or given more calls to confirm. But I believe it's mostly their fault for having flawed and slow processes. Hopefully Pass. Canada will reply to my complaint and make an exception....

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
The Instruction Guide specifically says:

Once processing of your application has begun a name change can only be made due to an administrative error made by the Department, a truncated (shortened) name on the immigration document or a legal change of name.

I'm surprised CIC did not do anything about it after you sent the required documentation.

Did you send the documentation before or after your test/interview?

Just a thought here (not sure if it'll work):

After you get your certificate in your former name at the ceremony, submit a request for a replacement certificate due to there being a mistake on the certificate.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=598&t=5

In my opinion, if you had done your due diligence and had informed CIC several months back while your application was still being processed and yet they issued a certificate in your former name, it is a mistake on their part. You could try your luck and see if they'll replace the certificate in a timely manner and free of charge. Include evidence that you had sent them proof of your legal name change during the citizenship process.

There's no guarantee they will accept this but might be worth a shot.

Whether you go with this approach or apply normally (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-how.asp), you might also request urgent service. Reason: with your citizenship certificate in your former name and your other IDs in your new name, you can't even get a passport in your old name. Again, there's no guarantee this will work but there's no harm trying :)

leflex

Jan 9, 2015
Thanks a lot for those tips, I hadn't thought of that and I will do my best!

ps: I sent my name change docs around May or June and I had my exam/interview in mid August.

:-*

eltorpe

Star Member
Jan 6, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
leflex said:
Thanks a lot for those tips, I hadn't thought of that and I will do my best!

ps: I sent my name change docs around May or June and I had my exam/interview in mid August.

:-*
Have your provincial IDs been updated by the time you went to your test/interview? I assume you submitted at least one provincial ID with your initial application. At the interview, did the officer not ask about the difference in name during the document verification?

leflex

Jan 9, 2015
I had two healthcare cards, one with the old, one with the new. I never trusted CIC, because it's the least accountable Canadian administration. I was worried that if I showed them the new one, they would postpone my whole application and send it back to the bottom of the pile following procedure X or Y.

It's pretty obvious that they don't care about the applicants since I applied in early 2013 and I'm still not a citizen, while similar cases that were filed in 2014 are already done.

laxmikanthms

Dec 31, 2009
Toronto,Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec-07-2009
Doc's Request.
Feb-02-2010
AOR Received.
June-14-2010
IELTS Request
Already Done
File Transfer...
Feb-10-2010
Med's Request
Nov-01-2010
Med's Done....
Dec-02-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Nov-01-2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan-13-2011
LANDED..........
May-07-2010 (Before PR Approval on Workpermit)
Take your name change certificate to the oath....after giving your Oath certificate they will ask to check the correctness and that time you tell that you had already sent your certificate of name change but still its reflecting the old one so can you they update right away ...jsut ask them ..it doesn't hurt......never know since they are issuing they will be able to update rightaway in the systems.

leflex

Jan 9, 2015
Thanks! That's a very good idea, I find.

Can I please have more opinions about this one, guys?

Say, I go to the ceremony, swear, blabla, then get my certificate and say "hey guys, I sent you the paperwork regarding the name change and you didn't process it, so the name on this is wrong"?

Do you think it could work, or is there a risk that they might say "ok so we are taking the certificate back and come back for another ceremony in August ( :eek: )" ?

leflex

Jan 9, 2015
Sorry to bring this one up - my ceremony is approaching and I'm wondering if I should go with the last proposed solution.
Opinions welcome!

Cheers 8)