+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name change issue for oath ceremony

Helenou

Jan 17, 2021
Hi, I really need your suggestions about name change issues.

I helped my child legally changed name and got name change certificate. The copy of name change certificate was sent to IRCC when applying citizenship. I haven't changed the health card and other ID with the new name as I think all ID should be the same name, so I wait until I get oath ceremony. The oath ceremony is scheduled on Jun.15 after almost three years of waiting (Aug2019 applicant).

The PR card and other ID are all in old name now, and the invitation of oath ceremony is in new name. During the ceremony, two ID should be showed to the clerk. Shall I show them the ID (such as PR card, health card) with old name as well as the name change certificate?

Thank you!

navid2014

Jul 9, 2014
Hi, I really need your suggestions about name change issues.

I helped my child legally changed name and got name change certificate. The copy of name change certificate was sent to IRCC when applying citizenship. I haven't changed the health card and other ID with the new name as I think all ID should be the same name, so I wait until I get oath ceremony. The oath ceremony is scheduled on Jun.15 after almost three years of waiting (Aug2019 applicant).

The PR card and other ID are all in old name now, and the invitation of oath ceremony is in new name. During the ceremony, two ID should be showed to the clerk. Shall I show them the ID (such as PR card, health card) with old name as well as the name change certificate?

Thank you!
How old is the child, if a child is a minor then he/she dont even need to attend the ceremony

And when attending the ceremony with you, then child dont need to show any ID proof but you need to cut the kids PR card into pieces.

But if you are still concerned and would like to have at least one of piece of ID, then you still have time to update your health card.

Helenou

Jan 17, 2021
How old is the child, if a child is a minor then he/she dont even need to attend the ceremony

And when attending the ceremony with you, then child dont need to show any ID proof but you need to cut the kids PR card into pieces.

But if you are still concerned and would like to have at least one of piece of ID, then you still have time to update your health card.
Thanks for your reply. My child is 16, so he has to attend the ceremony. Changing information on health card takes about 4-6 weeks to receive the new card. I might not be able to receive the new card on the day of oath ceremony (Jun.15). Maybe I can show the clerk the transaction record of heath card change?

figaro2

Jan 12, 2016
Argentina
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Mexico
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-01-2016
Doc's Request.
15-01-2017
Nomination.....
08-02-2017
AOR Received.
28-03-2017
Med's Done....
20-07-2017
Passport Req..
3 nov 2017
LANDED..........
31 01 2018
Once you open the change name certificate you are obliged to update your ids!
I am planning on changing mine.
So if you are on Ontario, the id photo card is quick to change, you can show the reciept of name change,
And you still can show them the certificate too.
also it wouldn t hurt to communicate with your agent to be sure.

Helenou

Jan 17, 2021
So if you are on Ontario, the id photo card is quick to change, you can show the reciept of name change,
Thanks for your suggestion. Yes, I'm in Ontario. Today I finished changing name on photo card ID by visiting Service Ontario and got the receipt.

Reactions: figaro2

figaro2

Jan 12, 2016
Argentina
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Mexico
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-01-2016
Doc's Request.
15-01-2017
Nomination.....
08-02-2017
AOR Received.
28-03-2017
Med's Done....
20-07-2017
Passport Req..
3 nov 2017
LANDED..........
31 01 2018
Thanks for your suggestion. Yes, I'm in Ontario. Today I finished changing name on photo card ID by visiting Service Ontario and got the receipt.
great
I didn't do the name change yet because the delays for oath aren't clear anymore.
I wonder when did you make yours? and how much time it took you to have the certificate?

Reactions: iMayflower

Helenou

Jan 17, 2021
great
I didn't do the name change yet because the delays for oath aren't clear anymore.
I wonder when did you make yours? and how much time it took you to have the certificate?
That's true, the whole process of citizenship application is quite long.

It takes about 6 weeks from submission to receive name change certificate. I submitted name change application in person at Service Ontario (47 Sheppard Avenue East, Unit 417, 4th Floor). If you mind the time of when to do the name change, I think you can do it after you finished the oath.

Reactions: figaro2

figaro2

Jan 12, 2016
Argentina
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Mexico
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-01-2016
Doc's Request.
15-01-2017
Nomination.....
08-02-2017
AOR Received.
28-03-2017
Med's Done....
20-07-2017
Passport Req..
3 nov 2017
LANDED..........
31 01 2018
That's true, the whole process of citizenship application is quite long.

It takes about 6 weeks from submission to receive name change certificate. I submitted name change application in person at Service Ontario (47 Sheppard Avenue East, Unit 417, 4th Floor). If you mind the time of when to do the name change, I think you can do it after you finished the oath.
thank you
six weeks is a good time and I hope mine won't have more delay. I am counting on starting the process once i got the invitation to oath, that way I can make the passeport under the new name.

Reactions: Helenou

Helenou

Jan 17, 2021
thank you
six weeks is a good time and I hope mine won't have more delay. I am counting on starting the process once i got the invitation to oath, that way I can make the passeport under the new name.
That sounds great!

wksj

Oct 7, 2021
Actually, you are not obligated to update IDs. As this person is a PR, they were born outside of Ontario, meaning that they are now entitled to use either name they want as long as it is not for fraud. Read the Change of Name Act.

Reactions: Helenou

Helenou

Jan 17, 2021
Actually, you are not obligated to update IDs. As this person is a PR, they were born outside of Ontario, meaning that they are now entitled to use either name they want as long as it is not for fraud. Read the Change of Name Act.
Thanks for your information. That will be more convenient for immigrant like me to change name on different IDs as it really takes times.

figaro2

Jan 12, 2016
Argentina
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Mexico
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-01-2016
Doc's Request.
15-01-2017
Nomination.....
08-02-2017
AOR Received.
28-03-2017
Med's Done....
20-07-2017
Passport Req..
3 nov 2017
LANDED..........
31 01 2018
Where did u see that u don t update ids?

Lalay

Apr 1, 2015
Hi how did it go on your oath? Im a little bit concerned on mine coz I changed my last name on my canadian citizenship application to my married name but not on my govt valid IDs. On my oath taking next week, will I encounter issues if I presented IDs with my maiden name and just provide my marriage certificate? Im aware it is not related on OP question, I am just looking for an answer if there are similar on my situation. Thanks

etesami

May 4, 2021
Hi how did it go on your oath? Im a little bit concerned on mine coz I changed my last name on my canadian citizenship application to my married name but not on my govt valid IDs. On my oath taking next week, will I encounter issues if I presented IDs with my maiden name and just provide my marriage certificate? Im aware it is not related on OP question, I am just looking for an answer if there are similar on my situation. Thanks
How was your experience?