02-10-2010
Passport Req..
10-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
14-03-2011
LANDED..........
20-04-2011
Hello All,

My wife and I have made our spousal application and are in the process of...well...waiting. After that we plan to wait some more. Then maybe do some more waiting. Then we'll MOVE TO CANADA!

Anyways...we decided after our wedding to wait to change her name until after we arrived in Canada so that we could get our application mailed off as quickly as possible in an effort to get approval and make our move by next summer. Having done some research into the process it appears as though it's as simple as presenting our marriage certificate when we apply for her Driver's Licence, Health Card, SIN Card and Bank Account in Canada. Getting her name updated on her British passport from within Canada seems quite similarly simple...present the passport and the marriage certificate at the embassy.

So as I understand it, once she's approved she gets a sticker in her British passport. She also gets a separate PR card. Is that right? So what happens to the passport sticker if she gets a new passport issued with her new name after we land in Canada? Will we need to apply for a replacement sticker? And the PR card...would we need to apply for a replacement card that shows her new name? Are there fees associated with these changes?

I'm starting to wonder if we should get her British passport updated before we leave the UK. Given that we've already made our application (it's currently in Mississauga awaiting approval for me as a sponsor), what would I need to do to update Canadian Immigration about the name change if we decided to do it now? Can I scan and email a copy of her new passport directly to London? Would changing her name in the middle of the process invalidate any of the information we've sent in (police certificates, medicals, etc.)?

Any thoughts or opinions either way regarding whether we should just wait until we land or if we should start the name change process while our application is under review would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,
Mike

Perfect

Star Member
Mar 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 11, 2010
Doc's Request.
October 5, 2010
AOR Received.
October 5, 2010
File Transfer...
September 10, 2010
Med's Done....
February 20, 2010
Sorry I cant help...Im also in need of answers to all the questions you asked, thanks for starting the thread...

Lysiana

Jun 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-05-2010
AOR Received.
06-08-2010
File Transfer...
23-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-03-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
02-09-2010
LANDED..........
20-12-2010
Hi Mike,

I believe you are mostly correct in your assumptions. I would like to comment on a few things:

(1) When your Visa is granted and they give you your Visa "passport sticker". My understanding is that it is a one-time use item. When your wife lands in Canada with the Visa sticker in her passport and her COPR forms, the CBSA agent will cross out the sticker with a big "X". I don't think once you land you need to hang on to that passport for any particular reason.

(2) I would advise against changing your wife's passport to a new name before they issue the visa unless you want to go through the hassle of trying to update the CIC with new copies of her passport and risk things getting lost with two different names on her file. I would keep it consistent. If you made the application in her maiden name, then stick with her maiden name until the process is completed.

(3) By changing her name when she gets to Canada she will lose out on the "free" first PR card. They will issue the original PR card in the name on her visa (maiden name). You would then have to apply for a new one in her married name at whatever they charge for that.

-Lys

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MikeUK
Just a quick note, you don't have to change her name. Certainly in Quebec many people do not.

MikeUK

Star Member
Jun 16, 2010
London, UK
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-10-2010
AOR Received.
02-12-2010
File Transfer...
23-11-2010
Med's Done....
02-10-2010
Passport Req..
10-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
14-03-2011
LANDED..........
20-04-2011
Lysiana said:
Hi Mike,

I believe you are mostly correct in your assumptions. I would like to comment on a few things:

(1) When your Visa is granted and they give you your Visa "passport sticker". My understanding is that it is a one-time use item. When your wife lands in Canada with the Visa sticker in her passport and her COPR forms, the CBSA agent will cross out the sticker with a big "X". I don't think once you land you need to hang on to that passport for any particular reason.

(2) I would advise against changing your wife's passport to a new name before they issue the visa unless you want to go through the hassle of trying to update the CIC with new copies of her passport and risk things getting lost with two different names on her file. I would keep it consistent. If you made the application in her maiden name, then stick with her maiden name until the process is completed.

(3) By changing her name when she gets to Canada she will lose out on the "free" first PR card. They will issue the original PR card in the name on her visa (maiden name). You would then have to apply for a new one in her married name at whatever they charge for that.

-Lys
Thanks for the reply Lys! Good to know that the visa sticker wouldn't need to be replaced if we updated her passport. You're right on (2) as well...it's just adding more complexities to an already complex process. We'll ride it out and just take care of it when we land.

In response to number (3) just in case anyone else is interested, the fee to replace a PR card seems to be $50: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/pr-card/apply-how.asp#replace

Baloo said:
MikeUK
Just a quick note, you don't have to change her name. Certainly in Quebec many people do not.
Hey Baloo...thanks for the reply. She wants to change her name. She's assumed it here in the UK (sort of) but we just haven't done any of the official name change stuff as we were waiting to get the application sent off to Mississauga.

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
June 01, 2011[img]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/SimsFC/icons/smileys/flag-canada.gif[/img] [img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/patriot.gif[/img]
Actually to my understanding, it is quite simple and easy to update on your new name.
I think she should go ahead and apply for a new passport with her new name. Get expedited request if you can. I know with the US if you do that, you can get the passport back in 2 weeks.

You don't have to worry about the police clearance and medical in a different name. They will still have a copy of what her name was, have copies of previous id's, and birth certificate. They will still match it up. And no you don't need to apply for new ones based on just a name change.

All you need to do is when you get the passport back make a copy of the identification page and attach a note asking them to attach it to your file. If you have a client id and/or file number, you would put it on the envelope, the letter, and copy of new passport. Get tracking on it as well. If they do not let you know that they received it and you are concerned then call CIC and ask if your file has been updated with the new name. They should be able to tell you.

The only reason they need a copy of the new name in your passport is so that when they issue the PR card, it is the right name. Personally I would go ahead and do it. That way when she arrives to Canada, she will already have the PR card in the right name and can get the rest of her id in the right name. She won't have to go through the hassle of having to update the banks, cra, employers, post office, and CIC of her new name. Also, if she is wanting to be able to travel back home soon after getting PR then she will benefit more from changing it now. Reason being because after landing it only takes about 6 weeks to get her first card, however, getting a replacement one with her new name takes about 6-8 months. It also costs $50. I mean why pay more money when you don't have to. Change it now, get expedited request for passport to be mailed back fast, make a copy, sent it, and have everything already ready accurate. She wants to change her name so why not do it now? After all it is fairly easy to update it with a new name.

I am currently getting ready to do the same thing. I was going to wait until I thought it through and realized it would be much easier to only have to update CIC now of a name change then waiting and have to update so many more businesses later. Once I get enough money, I will be changing it and updating my file. Best of luck to you and your wife.

MikeUK

Star Member
Jun 16, 2010
London, UK
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-10-2010
AOR Received.
02-12-2010
File Transfer...
23-11-2010
Med's Done....
02-10-2010
Passport Req..
10-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
14-03-2011
LANDED..........
20-04-2011
Love_Young said:
Actually to my understanding, it is quite simple and easy to update on your new name.
I think she should go ahead and apply for a new passport with her new name. Get expedited request if you can. I know with the US if you do that, you can get the passport back in 2 weeks.

You don't have to worry about the police clearance and medical in a different name. They will still have a copy of what her name was, have copies of previous id's, and birth certificate. They will still match it up. And no you don't need to apply for new ones based on just a name change.

All you need to do is when you get the passport back make a copy of the identification page and attach a note asking them to attach it to your file. If you have a client id and/or file number, you would put it on the envelope, the letter, and copy of new passport. Get tracking on it as well. If they do not let you know that they received it and you are concerned then call CIC and ask if your file has been updated with the new name. They should be able to tell you.

The only reason they need a copy of the new name in your passport is so that when they issue the PR card, it is the right name. Personally I would go ahead and do it. That way when she arrives to Canada, she will already have the PR card in the right name and can get the rest of her id in the right name. She won't have to go through the hassle of having to update the banks, cra, employers, post office, and CIC of her new name. Also, if she is wanting to be able to travel back home soon after getting PR then she will benefit more from changing it now. Reason being because after landing it only takes about 6 weeks to get her first card, however, getting a replacement one with her new name takes about 6-8 months. It also costs $50. I mean why pay more money when you don't have to. Change it now, get expedited request for passport to be mailed back fast, make a copy, sent it, and have everything already ready accurate. She wants to change her name so why not do it now? After all it is fairly easy to update it with a new name.

I am currently getting ready to do the same thing. I was going to wait until I thought it through and realized it would be much easier to only have to update CIC now of a name change then waiting and have to update so many more businesses later. Once I get enough money, I will be changing it and updating my file. Best of luck to you and your wife.
Thanks Love_Young...much appreciated. Interesting to see the other side of this decision. A replacement card taking 6-8 months (not to mention the $50) is pretty much motivation enough to do this. I had hoped that updating her details would be an easy process, but if there's even a remote chance of this delaying our application I don't want to risk it. I'm bouncing back and forth I must admit. The UK has a priority 1 week passport service and an emergency 1 day service I believe. Given that I have to wait for my file number in London before I can send in the update and I'm still 2-3 weeks away from sponsorship approval in Mississauga I have a bit of time to actually decide.

I sent an email to London asking the same questions, but I'm not sure I'll hear back anytime soon.

It would be great to hear from someone who has actually updated their personal details with London while their application was being processed and didn't have any problems with it...just to alleviate my fears.

Cheers,
Mike

leroadrunner

Apr 19, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-09-2011
AOR Received.
21-12-2011 In Process: 25-01-2012
File Transfer...
21-11-2011
Med's Done....
30-08-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
30-01-2012
Great info Love_Young, I think we will go that route too...we were wondering the exact same thing. plus I think changing her name will also make the relationship even more legit.

TTYL!

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
leroadrunner said:
I think changing her name will also make the relationship even more legit.

TTYL!
It makes NO difference, many married couples keep their original name.

adetia9

Star Member
Mar 6, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
USA Outland - Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-03-2010
AOR Received.
03-05-2010
File Transfer...
03-05-2010
Med's Done....
30-11-2009
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
09-03-2011
LANDED..........
04-08-2011
My husband and I are dealing with this same issue. I chose to keep my maiden name legally, but socially I use my husband's last name.
When everything else is said and done, and I'm landed, etc etc etc, I'll change my name everywhere legally.

MikeUK

Star Member
Jun 16, 2010
London, UK
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-10-2010
AOR Received.
02-12-2010
File Transfer...
23-11-2010
Med's Done....
02-10-2010
Passport Req..
10-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
14-03-2011
LANDED..........
20-04-2011
It seems there's a decent amount of support for both sides.

My concern with waiting until we arrive to change her passport is the PR card. I've read some posts about PR cards taking 3 or 4 months to arrive after you've landed. If we then have to file for a replacement card to change her name and that takes 6 to 8 months to come in, we're looking at up to a year without a PR card - which I believe means up to a year without being able to leave or at least unable to reenter.

While we don't anticipate taking any trips for the first year, what if (God forbid) one of our family members or friends back in the UK falls ill and we need to come back? We'd be stuck.

My concern about changing it now is obviously the possibility of delaying the application while it's under review.

I think we're going to go ahead and do it now and hope that things go smoothly with the application despite the name change. Really hope it works out!

MikeUK

Star Member
Jun 16, 2010
London, UK
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-10-2010
AOR Received.
02-12-2010
File Transfer...
23-11-2010
Med's Done....
02-10-2010
Passport Req..
10-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
14-03-2011
LANDED..........
20-04-2011
I received a response from London yesterday. They sort of ignored half of my questions...but I thought I'd post it all the same.

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

Please be advised that a scanned copy of your wife's new passport can be submitted to our office once processing has been initiated.

The visa, once issued, will be in the name on the current passport.

I hope this information is of assistance.

Yours sincerely,

ACD

bonbon9

Jul 7, 2010
ON, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
MX
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/15/2010
AOR Received.
12/02/2010
File Transfer...
10/14/2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
02/23/2011
LANDED..........
05/17/2011
MikeUK said:
I received a response from London yesterday. They sort of ignored half of my questions...but I thought I'd post it all the same.

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

Please be advised that a scanned copy of your wife's new passport can be submitted to our office once processing has been initiated.

The visa, once issued, will be in the name on the current passport.

I hope this information is of assistance.

Yours sincerely,

ACD
Hi!

I think you need to wait to submit the photocopy of your new passport, do it when they give you a Client ID for your wife and they start processing your file in London :)

MikeUK

Star Member
Jun 16, 2010
London, UK
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-10-2010
AOR Received.
02-12-2010
File Transfer...
23-11-2010
Med's Done....
02-10-2010
Passport Req..
10-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
14-03-2011
LANDED..........
20-04-2011
bonbon9 said:
Hi!

I think you need to wait to submit the photocopy of your new passport, do it when they give you a Client ID for your wife and they start processing your file in London :)
Hi bonbon9,

You're definitely right on this one. A few more weeks to go and fingers crossed our application will be "In Process" in London and I'll be able to pull some kind of ID out of eCas and send it through.

Mike