Name Change Application?

GokulGuruprasad

Oct 26, 2015
Toronto, ON
Category........
FSW
Hi guys,

Needed your ideas on this, so a bit of background -
  1. All my documents so far from India have the "surname" field left blank; I have never officially used my surname ever and have my name + dad's name as the "given name" in every document.
  2. In India, the surname is not a mandatory field on the passport or any official document and I get away with it
  3. However, I found that in Canada & most other countries, the "surname" cannot be left blank
  4. I'd like to revert to my old unused surname & start using it going forward in all documents (it currently doesn't appear on any documents)
  5. However, since my citizenship application is in progress, not sure how to approach this issue
Any suggestions welcome.

I'd essentially like to let my current given name "Gokul Guruprasad" stay as a "given name" and add the new surname (it doesn't appear anywhere on any documentation).

I don't really want to take an approach where I split "Guruprasad" to make it my surname and use "Gokul" as my given name or something like that.

Reactions: namratha_s

namratha_s

Sep 17, 2014
Hi guys,

Needed your ideas on this, so a bit of background -
  1. All my documents so far from India have the "surname" field left blank; I have never officially used my surname ever and have my name + dad's name as the "given name" in every document.
  2. In India, the surname is not a mandatory field on the passport or any official document and I get away with it
  3. However, I found that in Canada & most other countries, the "surname" cannot be left blank
  4. I'd like to revert to my old unused surname & start using it going forward in all documents (it currently doesn't appear on any documents)
  5. However, since my citizenship application is in progress, not sure how to approach this issue
Any suggestions welcome.

I'd essentially like to let my current given name "Gokul Guruprasad" stay as a "given name" and add the new surname (it doesn't appear anywhere on any documentation).

I don't really want to take an approach where I split "Guruprasad" to make it my surname and use "Gokul" as my given name or something like that.
Yo I hv same concern. Please lemme know if u get any updates. Please

keypad

Sep 29, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-10-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
15-10-2013
Med's Done....
26-10-2013
Passport Req..
15-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2015
LANDED..........
29-09-2015
Since your application is already in process, I would suggest dealing with it after getting your citizenship certificate. Changing names in the middle of this will create a lot of mess and the name change process itself takes 1-2 months. You could have done this before applying for citizenship. I did this for myself and applied after getting my names fixed.

You will need to go through the name change process in your province and then only you can ask IRCC to update their records. You can get more info on this thread - https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/name-split-in-passport-copr-and-pr-card.394798/

FYI, the process for the name split or adding a surname will be the same.

Further, after getting everything done your names in the Canadian records will be treated like as below:
Last Name - YOUR NEW SURNAME
Middle Name - Guruprasad
First Name - Gokul

Reactions: GokulGuruprasad

GokulGuruprasad

Oct 26, 2015
Toronto, ON
Category........
FSW
I've done my test now and it has updated to "Completed" in the status tracker.

I was wondering if the name change can be done now between before the oath invite comes in (after Decision Made)? I was wondering since it is "Decision Made", it would not cause any complications in processing as they'd have already made their decision.

Or would that cause complications?

During the oath ceremony, I can give them a copy of the name change from the province & directly request that they issue the citizenship certificate in the new name?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015

I was wondering if the name change can be done now between before the oath invite comes in (after Decision Made)? I was wondering since it is "Decision Made", it would not cause any complications in processing as they'd have already made their decision.

During the oath ceremony, I can give them a copy of the name change from the province & directly request that they issue the citizenship certificate in the new name?
I don't think they'll print a certificate with your new name if you give them the name change proof on the day of the ceremony. It has to go through a process AFAIK.

@visaforca might be able to help as s/he changed their name.

Reactions: GokulGuruprasad

keypad

Sep 29, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-10-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
15-10-2013
Med's Done....
26-10-2013
Passport Req..
15-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2015
LANDED..........
29-09-2015

It will trigger them to cancel/postpone your oath ceremony and you will have to submit a request for the name change. It will be a complete process, they will verify your details, validate your name change certificate, and then only it will be updated in your file. I would still suggest finishing the oath first, receive your certificate, and then request them to update your name through the proof of citizenship process (If I am not wrong).

You will also need to submit your name change certificate and maybe an updated ID like DL.

I did this a few years ago and sent them a copy of my name change and applied for the updated PR card. It went smoothly and now they already had my updated name in their records.

GokulGuruprasad

Oct 26, 2015
Toronto, ON
Category........
FSW
It will trigger them to cancel/postpone your oath ceremony and you will have to submit a request for the name change. It will be a complete process, they will verify your details, validate your name change certificate, and then only it will be updated in your file. I would still suggest finishing the oath first, receive your certificate, and then request them to update your name through the proof of citizenship process (If I am not wrong).

You will also need to submit your name change certificate and maybe an updated ID like DL.

I did this a few years ago and sent them a copy of my name change and applied for the updated PR card. It went smoothly and now they already had my updated name in their records.
Thanks @keypad. I'll follow your advise since you've already been through the process.
Had a few queries, is it OK if I ping you privately?

Thanks.

keypad

Sep 29, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-10-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application