+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My working holiday visa was validated only for 6 months due to insurance

bchamagne

Sep 25, 2013
Hello there,
I arrived in Canada May 1st 2013 with a 1 year Working Holiday Visa in hand and a 6 months insurance.
At the immigration office at the airport, they validated the WHV for 6 months only due to my insurance. The woman said that I'd be able to extend it and gave me a phone number: 1-888-242-2100

Now that I extended my insurance, I'd like to extend my visa so I can still work after October 29th 2013.
How do I do that?

Here are the steps that I already tried:
- 1-888-242-2100, couldn't manage to talk to a human being :(
- I went to the airport and talked to the immigration (on a phone), the guy said that immigration is not accessible from Canada, so I have to go make a quick turn around at the USA border.
- I went to the border and talked to the immigration and the guy said he can't help me because it has to be Vegreville to do it. He gave me that 1-888-242-2100 number.

Thanks a lot for any hint on what step I should try next. For now I'll try again that phone number tomorrow, on working hours.

GRETZKY99

Sep 27, 2013
Why did you go with only 6mths insurance ?

Its stats you need insurance to cover you whole duration so 24mths is needed or at worse case 12mth (min)

bchamagne

Sep 25, 2013
Because I figured that if I stayed less than 1 year I won't need to pay 1 year of insurance. I thought I could save some money, but in the end that was a really bad choice.

When I called the vegreville number, the guy said that I could do it online by pretending I was in france in the forms, and then explain my situation at the end, in the "letter of explanation" option.
Now it's wait & see :|

GRETZKY99

Sep 27, 2013
What country are you from ?

At worse case you could have purchased 1-2yrs of insurance and if you return early get a refund then. Not to be mean but you have shot yourself in the foot now :-( sorry...