+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My wife's cousin wants visitor visa

jbourne

Star Member
Jun 20, 2017
He wants to move to Canada, lets say his name X

(Background story apparently someone who happens to be his friend currently in Canada, came on visitors visa and converted into work permit by finding an employer;
he was telling this guy that if your brother in law (Canadian citizen, me) gives you invitation letter, its easy to get visitors visa)

now coming to his story;
he works in some convenience store in India, he has a degree but he is barely able to meet his ends with the pay he gets.
if he applies to Canadian visitors visa; will there be possibility for him to get a visa.

he has been approaching, some random visa consultancies who is promising him sure shot visitors visa in exchange of huge amount of money which I suspect is a potential fraud.
so is there any possibility for him to atleast get a visitors visa, come to canada scout for jobs if not successful return back to his home country.
if yes what are the possible documents he need to get him visitors visa to make his case stronger (he understands that visitors visa is a temp visa and you have to prove visa officer that you return back)

P:S- I don't want to give him invitation letter.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

(Background story apparently someone who happens to be his friend currently in Canada, came on visitors visa and converted into work permit by finding an employer;
he was telling this guy that if your brother in law (Canadian citizen, me) gives you invitation letter, its easy to get visitors visa)

now coming to his story;
he works in some convenience store in India, he has a degree but he is barely able to meet his ends with the pay he gets.
if he applies to Canadian visitors visa; will there be possibility for him to get a visa.

he has been approaching, some random visa consultancies who is promising him sure shot visitors visa in exchange of huge amount of money which I suspect is a potential fraud.
so is there any possibility for him to atleast get a visitors visa, come to canada scout for jobs if not successful return back to his home country.
if yes what are the possible documents he need to get him visitors visa to make his case stronger (he understands that visitors visa is a temp visa and you have to prove visa officer that you return back)

The following will make his application stronger: proof of ties to his home country such a as property ownership, proof of employment, proof he has sufficient funds to pay for his trip, proof of previous travel to counties requiring visas such as the US and UK.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
He cannot convert a visitor visa to a work visa. You need a job offer and your employer needs to file for and pay $1k for a LMIA. The LMIA shows that no Canadian or PR could be hired, only you. Then with LMIA, you apply for a closed work permit. For the permit, you show that you are experienced to do the job. So should have ECA and IELTS completed.

jbourne

Star Member
Jun 20, 2017
The following will make his application stronger: proof of ties to his home country such a as property ownership, proof of employment, proof he has sufficient funds to pay for his trip, proof of previous travel to counties requiring visas such as the US and UK.
how easy to get visitors visa for ppl from countries like India provided he has the above documents except previous travel history.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
how easy to get visitors visa for ppl from countries like India provided he has the above documents except previous travel history.
I don't think anyone here can comment on his chances. I'm not sure I would say it's easy.

jbourne

Star Member
Jun 20, 2017
He cannot convert a visitor visa to a work visa. You need a job offer and your employer needs to file for and pay $1k for a LMIA. The LMIA shows that no Canadian or PR could be hired, only you. Then with LMIA, you apply for a closed work permit. For the permit, you show that you are experienced to do the job. So should have ECA and IELTS completed.
His First step would be visitor visa, which I suspect is not very easy for some random guy working in convenience store.

Reactions: canuck78

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
if someone is claiming sure shot visa; it is not potential fraud, it is most definitely a fraud. No one can get a sure shot visa.

Reactions: Kiva667

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes, I do understand.
but ppl over there don't understand the process.
Well then let him apply and learn from experience.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
His First step would be visitor visa, which I suspect is not very easy for some random guy working in convenience store.
Correct, but you said to convert into a work permit, which is not possible. He needs to show his own funds (bank accounts), travel history, ties to his home country, and reason to travel. He needs to show that he isn't spending all his funds to come to Canada. Finding a job with a LMIA may take a long time and then apply for a closed work permit so he needs to have funds to not work while waiting for a permit for maybe a year. His profile is not strong at all. If he is searching for jobs, CBSA may not even let him enter Canada if he even gets a TRV.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

now coming to his story;

Paying for a job is a crime both for cousin and the business and consultant. Would suggest reporting them if you have any information. Unfortunately many communities take adantage of other individuals trying to immigrate from their home country. These are big complicated cases and so on,y a small fraction are actually prosecuted and many do not report the crime because they have often committed a criminal act as well. Would imagine your cousin will have difficulty getting a TRV based on your description of his current status.

Kiva667

May 9, 2019
He wants to move to Canada, lets say his name

I saw a CTV documentary some months ago about the massive fraud in the visa consultancy businesses in Punjab.

What was comical was the interview with one of the region's heads of law enforcement, who told the Canadian reporter he was unaware of and fraudsters doing business there.

jbourne

Star Member
Jun 20, 2017
I saw a CTV documentary some months ago about the massive fraud in the visa consultancy businesses in Punjab.

What was comical was the interview with one of the region's heads of law enforcement, who told the Canadian reporter he was unaware of and fraudsters doing business there.
I wish to help by giving right suggestions, yes I know about the fraud, and their soft targets are these desperate ppl; who want to move out of their home country. for some it might be life savings, loans; for these fraudsters easy money.
I had met my wife's relatives, they were showing documents of some LIMA in their name ( I knew that work permit thing from India is not an easy one) and were asking me if those were genuine, and they mentioned that they have biometrics scheduled in Delhi, I suspected a fraud but again with a benefit of doubt said if you had biometrics scheduled may be they are genuine but at that point they have given all of the money towards process.

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016

now coming to his story;

I do not believe giving an invitation letter will have any negative impact on you. If it is for a visitor visa you are not going to be held under any legal obligation or anything. So no harm in giving him one if its a genuine invitation and it helps him out.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I do not believe giving an invitation letter will have any negative impact on you. If it is for a visitor visa you are not going to be held under any legal obligation or anything. So no harm in giving him one if its a genuine invitation and it helps him out.
It can have longterm consequences especially if the immigration fraud is ever discovered. If you invite people who then try to remain in Canada to work there may be further scrutiny on future visitors you invite because of concern they mayalso not be genuine visitors and are also trying to come to work .