+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My wife is pregnant and I'd like the babies delivery in Canada

akhildeviprasad

Aug 25, 2017
Hi All,

I am a Canadian PR and I recently found out that my wife is pregnant. She is not a Canadian PR, but I'd like to know what are the ways I can take her to Canada for the babies delivery?

What are the steps to sponsor for her spouse visa? or is it better to take her on Tourist visa?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
There are no spouse visas for Canada. You would apply for a TRV. She would need to prove her intent is to visit, which is why it is often difficult to obtain a TRV for a spouse, as it is assumed they intend to remain in Canada, thus they are not visitors. It’s also likely she would not be covered under healthcare and the costs of the birth would be your responsibility. Expect $10K minimum, up to hundreds of thousands if there are complications during the pregnancy.

akhildeviprasad

Aug 25, 2017
What is the minimum duration of a tourist visa that my wife could get? What kind of reasons could allow her to get a tourist visa for a longer duration?
I can handle the medical expenses and other charges, but I just need to understand the exact process. Once she enters Canada can her visa be converted into PR, since she'll be the mother of the baby( and the baby will have the citizenship)?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No conversion to PR from visitor's visa. You will have to be in Canada to sponsor her.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
What is the minimum duration of a tourist visa that my wife could get? What kind of reasons could allow her to get a tourist visa for a longer duration?
I can handle the medical expenses and other charges, but I just need to understand the exact process. Once she enters Canada can her visa be converted into PR, since she'll be the mother of the baby( and the baby will have the citizenship)?
The baby being a citizen has zero influence on whether the mother can stay in Canada or not so as above no conversion from visit to PR on that basis. You would need to be in Canada to sponsor her through spouse sponsorship which could take up to 12 months.

There is no guarantee she could get a TRV given as mentioned above there is always suspicion someone may not leave if their spouse is a PR or citizen. Time authorised to stay as a visitor is determined on arrival, could be a week or could be default 6 months with option to use extend stay as visitor process.

If she manages to get a a TRV and enter Canada you should maybe look at inland spouse sponsorship which could facilitate her staying for extended period until PR application completes. Inland supports a work permit application although advisable to not leave Canada whilst application is in progress , at least not for more than a week or two.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi All,

I am a Canadian PR and I recently found out that my wife is pregnant. She is not a Canadian PR, but I'd like to know what are the ways I can take her to Canada for the babies delivery?

What are the steps to sponsor for her spouse visa? or is it better to take her on Tourist visa?
She needs a TRV to come to Canada (unless she is from a visa exempt country and requires an eTA instead). Generally there's quite a high refusal rate for TRVs when your spouse is a PR. I would start by applying for the TRV to see if it's approved before you make too many plans. If the TRV is refused, then coming to Canada to give birth won't be an option.

For the TRV to be approved, she will need to show strong ties to her home country to demonstrate she is a genuine tourist and has no plans on remaining in Canada long term. If she states that her reason for coming to Canada is to give birth, the TRV will be refused.